Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #3031
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Thumb

Epic.
You either tell the tallest tales, or you are having a serious adventure.

looking forward to the pictures and eventual ride report.
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #3032
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Glad to hear you're ok NYlon!
Wifey and I will donate to Wine to Water today after I get some funds transferred into my paypal acct.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #3033
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Guys - any leads on where i can get clutch plates? Apparently the country of Germany has zero in stock! Am not getting much luck with the UK, and am waiting on the US to reply...

Anyone? People are quoting me 2 weeks to order, and then 1+ weeks to deliver.

Failing that, what are my backup options? Is there a way to "re-energize" worn plates? Maybe put some spacers in the basket to push the plates together more?

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #3034
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,317
Check the clutch plates, my research showed the steel plates in the later models were thicker and they used 1 less plate, you may be able to get a kit for the earlier model and reuse the metal plates you have and only the fibre plates from the kit

Beyond that some of the EBS resellers should hold stock of EBC plates, EBC UK were very responsive to some research I was doing a while back and they may be able to point to who has stock
Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #3035
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
If all else fails ... you can use screws between the plates.... if all else fails . You can also try roughing up the plates if they appear to be "polished". Like someone else mentioned

Thanks for the heads up on the k60s . Pretty sure no tire hooks up in sand dunes though!

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #3036
ausbaxter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
If all else fails ... you can use screws between the plates.... if all else fails . You can also try roughing up the plates if they appear to be "polished". Like someone else mentioned

Thanks for the heads up on the k60s . Pretty sure no tire hooks up in sand dunes though!
the pirelli scorpion mt21 do a great job in really deep soft sand, we have no shortage of powder sand in western Australia and they are the only set ive found that give reasonable mileage and good soft terrain traction.
ausbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #3037
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Guys - any leads on where i can get clutch plates? Apparently the country of Germany has zero in stock! Am not getting much luck with the UK, and am waiting on the US to reply...

Failing that, what are my backup options? Is there a way to "re-energize" worn plates? Maybe put some spacers in the basket to push the plates together more?
Nylon,

First of all, happy to hear you are fine! It does look like your adventure will just keep on going for a while. I checked with Max BMW and none of the stores has the plates. Furthermore, none of BMW warehouses in the entire US has them. I just have a thought that maybe you can use the plates from a Dakar, since it is supposedly the same motor. However, the part numbers are different. People that have more experience with it might want to chime in. But, if the Dakar plates are usable, you might have a few more options in your search.

As for squeezing a little more out of the original plates, you might want to use thicker oil, rough up the plates with coarse sand paper, make sure you have play in the clutch lever (no pressure on the lever at all), and use the clutch only to get going,- shift gears without using the clutch. Keep the clutch engaged and as cool as possible. No off road and no uphill. All off this, of course at the risk of getting stuck again.

One more thing, in many countries, where parts are considered much less disposable than in our western world, there might be services to renew the friction lining of the plates. One more direction...

Let me know if I can help.

windowto screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 12:01 PM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #3038
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Nylon,

First of all, happy to hear you are fine! It does look like your adventure will just keep on going for a while. I checked with Max BMW and none of the stores has the plates. Furthermore, none of BMW warehouses in the entire US has them. I just have a thought that maybe you can use the plates from a Dakar, since it is supposedly the same motor. However, the part numbers are different. People that have more experience with it might want to chime in. But, if the Dakar plates are usable, you might have a few more options in your search.

As for squeezing a little more out of the original plates, you might want to use thicker oil, rough up the plates with coarse sand paper, make sure you have play in the clutch lever (no pressure on the lever at all), and use the clutch only to get going,- shift gears without using the clutch. Keep the clutch engaged and as cool as possible. No off road and no uphill. All off this, of course at the risk of getting stuck again.

One more thing, in many countries, where parts are considered much less disposable than in our western world, there might be services to renew the friction lining of the plates. One more direction...

Let me know if I can help.

P. S. And after thinking a little more, I am leaning towards: you might have glazed the plates (as someone mentioned), as opposed to worn them out. In other words, you still have the thickness of the linings, but the linings are so smooth that they provide little friction. This usually happens from overheating. The surface just melts and is smoothed by the metal counter plates.

Again, roughing the surface would get you going, but you would have to work pretty hard at it since the glazed surface is very very hard.

I am hesitant to suggest any kind of washers, screws, or anything else that redesigns the original clutch. These kind of fixes usually get you stuck worse than the original problem.

Good luck!

windowto screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 03:53 PM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #3039
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Will post some pictures of falls (of course) and pics later.
Don't forget scenery of the female persuasion! You epically failed to deliver last time.

Glad to see you're all good. Dang, that IS an adventure.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #3040
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 669
Eek

Quote:

Nylon,
If the clutch just slips helplessly under no load, it's probably worse than polished. The only way to improve matters is replace at least the friction plates or increase pressure by adding another plate. If you add a plate, then your hand will wear out.
If it slips as you apply power, roughing up the surfaces may help.

So far I've found this Lucas clutch kit:
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...M/8510012.html
I'm still looking for an EBC part number.
Not sure about delivery.
I'll keep looking for you.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500

Motopsychoman screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 08:03 PM
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #3041
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
.. im betting that he gets a mechanic to hack his stock plates.

FleaBAY: these are for the Dakar. just trying to give some options
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F-650-GS...item2a21ea6094

off the grid and deep in the woods

swamp screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 08:18 PM
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #3042
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
I think the EBC part number is: CK5636

I do think the drive plates are glazed, and because the friction plates still have material on them, will see if i can get somewhere with the sandpaper/spacer solution.

Will keep you posted.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #3043
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek

Quote:
I think the EBC part number is: CK5636

I do think the drive plates are glazed, and because the friction plates still have material on them, will see if i can get somewhere with the sandpaper/spacer solution.

Will keep you posted.

Glad to hear there is still meat on the friction plates. I use wet-or-dry or emery-cloth type sand papers when roughing up metal. Scratch the plates radially (outwards from the center) and not circularly. Sanding in small circles while rotating the plates also works well. You don't need really coarse sandpaper: 220 or 320 grit should be fine to break the polish.
Make sure to wash the plates thoroughly afterwards. You should be able to get kerosene everywhere and that will work well.
Keeping fingers crossed that it works. Worth a try anyway.
Try without spacers if possible.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500

Motopsychoman screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 09:03 PM
Old 07-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #3044
bcinkc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I have not had these parts in my hands. In a pinch you can also add extra washers to increase spring pressure (extra washers @#19 in diagram)

bcinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #3045
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcinkc View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I have not had these parts in my hands. In a pinch you can also add extra washers to increase spring pressure (extra washers @#19 in diagram)

Correct, adding washers will increase somewhat the pre-load (the Normal force for those engineers out there). It will also increase force needed at the clutch lever to overcome the pre-load.
Adding washers is one way to compensate for overall plate wear but unfortunately friction plates rarely wear out evenly. Usually one or two get very thin while the others are almost new.