User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #16
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,338
Laugh

Why it works? because the bike are tuned for emisions... not for the best performance.... this little jewel increases the fuel just a little under throttle movement....smooothes it out!!!

I have one for my F800gs and it works fantastic!!!!

I have been working on this little wonder for 2 weeks every spare moment and have figured out how it works and how to build... I will begin the build process and sell them for half the price... and on this side the pond... It just a some what simple process of raising the resistance of the air box temp probe to trick the ECU to give it a little more gas.... I used the gs911 for testing.

The Accelerator module website states exactly how it works.... good reading!

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 07-22-2011 at 06:05 PM
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randog View Post
How is this different than the Booster Plug other than it looks like its not sold here?
Exact same thing.... trims the air temperature reading by around -20 C (-36 deg F) to the ECU when air temp is around 80 degs F. More than -20 when above 80 and less than 20 when below 80 deg f.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 723
Mileage and fuel consumption is going to be different for everyone, based on where they live. Altitude, relative humidity, temperature, etc. It all will make a difference. What I'd like to see is a comparison by two GS riders in the same area. One with and one without.

Personally, after replacing the cam chain tensioner on my 1150, and adjusting the valves, my surging problems are gone. Do wish the bike ran a little cooler... But it's a good excuse to lane split in traffic.

"honestly officer, I was just trying to cool my bike down!"
Old 05-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
tom28734
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Accelerator installed

My bike was running well, or so I thought. The Accelerator arrived Monday and went in Tuesday. It took about 30 minutes to install.

After installation slow speed running is much smoother, and all throttle advance is accepted at any time with smoothness. There is no faltering or hesitation or vibration at any reasonable engine speed in any gear. A great way to spend a little money!

On the other hand, if you never run below 3500 RPM, don't bother.

Tom
tom28734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #20
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 612
I put one on mine a couple of years ago but just forgot about it. Bike runs well but I don't know if it changed my fuel mileage. Don't really matter...

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
I've installed my 4th one now. 1st was on the 09 GSA, and my fuel mileage improved and low end acceleration improved as well. So I put one on the R12R and same thing. Bought one for a friend at XMas for his GSA, same result. Tonight I finally got around to installing the last one on the RT.

I'm obviously a fan of the accelerator module. Doesn't cost much for the improvements I've seen. I'm at 162' above sea level. All the bikes have remus full exhaust systems. Not sure all that matters, but just listed for reference.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 294
I ordered one last night for my '04 GSA will post results
Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #23
jogo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I installed it on my 05 R12GS a while ago after a lot of people reported positive experience on the UKGSer forum.

For my riding pattern it is a significant improvement. I ride almost exclusively on small twisty roads through mountainous landscape. That means permanent changes in speed while often riding at not more than say 35 to 50 mph. Typical ambient temps are 40...75 degF.
I seldom use high rpm, rather enjoy the engines power at lower rev's (like 3...4000).

The accelerator module has greatly improved and smoothed the acceleration from low rpm. That gives much more comfort, confidence and fun e.g. with 2 up and driving uphill through a series of 180 deg swings.

I never cared to measure fuel mileage before and after precisely. But there was no big change, might be a very slight improvement.
jogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 362
Those BMW motors, be it boxer or inline four, are tuned lean for emission reasons. It sucks because you need a rich mixture, at least down low in the RPM range, to get that smooth torque. I am surprised that replacement chips are not offered instead of just add-on resistor harnesses. But he. It works ;-)

Here's an analysis of most contenders

http://www.ebbo.org/resistor_tuning.php

So far, I think that the two serious contenders are the BoosterPlug and the AcceleratorExtended (fit the probe in the airbox for accurate reading of the ambiant air, not just under the saddle where it's hotter - simply drill a hole and fit a rubber grommet to seal). The difference between both devices? Most likely only the price. $150.00cad for the BP shipped to Montreal vs $90.00cad for the AE. Let's also mention that Accelerator seems to over two different versions of the kit depending on if you run a catalyric convertor, or not.

From the BoosterPlug designer.

"All modern bike have an oxygen sensor in the exhaust to provide a feedback that will adjust mixture back to factory determined level. This actually works to your advantage as there's a certain delay in this feedback.
This means that as long as you maintain a steady speed (steady throttle, steady RPM), the feedback from the O2 sensor will make the computer adjust the mixture back to the original lean level (good for mileage). This is called "Closed Loop" operation.
As soon as you move to a different cell on the injection map by changing the throttle position or the RPMs, the oxygen sensor feed back cant keep up, and the bike will rely on the basic fuel map and input from temperature/air pressure sensors (like the first generation of fuel injection computers did). Now you will have the slightly richer mixture that is improving the drivability a lot. This is "Open Loop" operation."

MassiveLee screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 06:39 AM
MassiveLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #25
MoodyGS
Going round the bend

Oddometer: 129
Accelerator

I purchased the accelerator (the newer version with the sensor) last week and am anticipating Santa delivering it Wednesday.
Have a stock 2012 R1200gs. I ordered the "with catalytic converter" version (as promoted by the BMW dealer) is that correct?
Exactly where should I drill a hole in the air box for the probe?
Pictures would be helpful.
Will make a full report after installation and testing ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
Those BMW motors, be it boxer or inline four, are tuned lean for emission reasons. It sucks because you need a rich mixture, at least down low in the RPM range, to get that smooth torque. I am surprised that replacement chips are not offered instead of just add-on resistor harnesses. But he. It works ;-)

Here's an analysis of most contenders

http://www.ebbo.org/resistor_tuning.php

So far, I think that the two serious contenders are the BoosterPlug and the AcceleratorExtended (fit the probe in the airbox for accurate reading of the ambiant air, not just under the saddle where it's hotter - simply drill a hole and fit a rubber grommet to seal). The difference between both devices? Most likely only the price. $150.00cad for the BP shipped to Montreal vs $90.00cad for the AE. Let's also mention that Accelerator seems to over two different versions of the kit depending on if you run a catalyric convertor, or not.

From the BoosterPlug designer.

"All modern bike have an oxygen sensor in the exhaust to provide a feedback that will adjust mixture back to factory determined level. This actually works to your advantage as there's a certain delay in this feedback.
This means that as long as you maintain a steady speed (steady throttle, steady RPM), the feedback from the O2 sensor will make the computer adjust the mixture back to the original lean level (good for mileage). This is called "Closed Loop" operation.
As soon as you move to a different cell on the injection map by changing the throttle position or the RPMs, the oxygen sensor feed back cant keep up, and the bike will rely on the basic fuel map and input from temperature/air pressure sensors (like the first generation of fuel injection computers did). Now you will have the slightly richer mixture that is improving the drivability a lot. This is "Open Loop" operation."
MoodyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,833
07-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Why it works? because the bike are tuned for emisions... not for the best performance.... this little jewel increases the fuel just a little under throttle movement....smooothes it out!!!

I have one for my F800gs and it works fantastic!!!!

I have been working on this little wonder for 2 weeks every spare moment and have figured out how it works and how to build... I will begin the build process and sell them for half the price... and on this side the pond... It just a some what simple process of raising the resistance of the air box temp probe to trick the ECU to give it a little more gas.... I used the gs911 for testing.

The Accelerator module website states exactly how it works.... good reading!

Don't mind me. Just saving for posterity. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
MoodyGS
Going round the bend

Mistake

Sorry that should have been....as "prompted" by the BMW dealer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyGS View Post
I purchased the accelerator (the newer version with the sensor) last week and am anticipating Santa delivering it Wednesday.
Have a stock 2012 R1200gs. I ordered the "with catalytic converter" version (as promoted by the BMW dealer) is that correct?
Old 12-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #28
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
07-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Don't mind me. Just saving for posterity. ;)
We won't.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,833
Accelerator module review

Just brushing up for my upcoming adv manners short course . ;) Should be a gooder . I'll send you an invite.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #30
MoodyGS
Going round the bend

Any photos would be appreciated

Any pix of where to drill the hole in the air box for the accelerator probe would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyGS View Post