Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #7501
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
There's a hose that's part of the evaporative system where it looks like the fluids coming from but i can't tell for sure. It's not the brake fluid because the resevoir is still mostly full.

The only thing i can think of is i overfilled the engine oil, but i don't know where the leak would originate from. I put just over 2 quarts of oil in it before i left today to top it off. I didn't lose any from the looks of the sight glass either. Im so confused
My first guess would be that it really wasn't as low as you thought, and it was overfilled. It's possible that the excess oil was pushed into the airbox (via the evap system) and you are seeing it correctly.

Let the bike sit off for a few minutes, make sure the bike is on a completely flat surface, and recheck your oil. If still showing full oil, drain it and refill it. Will only cost a few bucks in Rotella, and ensure that you have it right.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #7502
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
My first guess would be that it really wasn't as low as you thought, and it was overfilled. It's possible that the excess oil was pushed into the airbox (via the evap system) and you are seeing it correctly.

Let the bike sit off for a few minutes, make sure the bike is on a completely flat surface, and recheck your oil. If still showing full oil, drain it and refill it. Will only cost a few bucks in Rotella, and ensure that you have it right.
im gonna open it up once I get home. I have it im the back of the uhaul now. Ill check the level again once im there, im pretty sure I overfilled it too. Dumbass move.
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #7503
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Brakes....wow!

Yesterday, I installed an EBC 320mm rotor and pads, that I got from Eagle Mike. Very nicely made, and easy to install. Went for a test ride tonight, and quite pleased. It actually stops now! Having the increased braking power, really exposed the poor front suspension, though. The brake dive that was moderate, with the factory brakes, is now horrible. Will likely be shopping for valves and springs for the front end now.:(

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #7504
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
The first gens are also prone to oil consumption. It's hit or miss.
I've never heard of oil burning issues with the Gen I models. My 99 has never burned a drop of oil. The oil burning issues started with the Gen II models in 08, and the problem was rectified with the late 08 models. I don't believe there were oil burning issues with the 09 models.

Quote:
I have almost 20k miles on my 04 KLR, engine is 100% stock, never opened, thing still runs awesome, rolls right up to 65 on the highway, will go much faster if I wanted to.

The 07+ models have an upgraded doo, but it's never a bad idea to swap it with an EM doo.
The change in models happened in 08, not 07. The 08 and newer models have a better lever, but the spring is slack and provides no tension.

Regardless of what year KLR you get, do the doo!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #7505
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
The 2008+ models have a better designed lever, but the springs still were consistently too short. Many people say that the new doo is fine, but I do believe a few have had failures. Since you have to get in there to replace the spring, might as well replace the lever too.
I think you meant to say too long not too short.

Quote:
The first gens are also prone to oil consumption. It's hit or miss.

The 07+ models have an upgraded doo, but it's never a bad idea to swap it with an EM doo.
Its actually 08+ models.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #7506
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
im gonna open it up once I get home. I have it im the back of the uhaul now. Ill check the level again once im there, im pretty sure I overfilled it too. Dumbass move.
Lets back up a little. 1st you tell us a few days ago that you can see oil in the sight glass(presumably the bike was vertical at the time) before your ride. If that were true (there would be 2 qts remaining in the motor), then adding 1/2 qt of oil would have brought the level up to full as the required amount is 2 1/2 liters. You say you added 2 qts? If that is correct then you would have had 4qts + in the motor? No wonder the motor puked the excess out through the oil drain that comes from the air box.

You dont say that the motor was not running well -if so then you have dodged a bullet and avoided serious internal damage.

Are you viewing the sight glass with the bike on the side stand or with it vertically? If the bike is on the side stand the sight glass should be empty when the correct level of oil is in the motor. Reading the oil level with the bike 100% vertical is essential. Then if the oil is not hot, wait 30 minutes for the oil to stabalize before reading the level..

At home I park the bike in the same place on its center stand. Read the oil level after an overnight drain down. That way I have a constant. On the road if the ground does not appear level, as long as the oil is high I dont mind. If in doubt, out comes my 2" level. Also, when hot the oil will read slightly higher.

Sounds like your brake pads are now oil soaked. You must replace them. sounds too like you have a good cleaning job ahead of you too.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #7507
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I've never heard of oil burning issues with the Gen I models.
I have, but not as bad as the 08's did. The reason for the 08 piston and ring design change was oil usage at the higher rpm and ring lands breaking. And when a land broke, there WAS oil usage!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #7508
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
Yesterday, I installed an EBC 320mm rotor and pads, that I got from Eagle Mike. Very nicely made, and easy to install. Went for a test ride tonight, and quite pleased. It actually stops now! Having the increased braking power, really exposed the poor front suspension, though. The brake dive that was moderate, with the factory brakes, is now horrible. Will likely be shopping for valves and springs for the front end now.:(

Jeff
Jeff, if you were supplied with EBC HH pads, they will score the rotor quite badly. Many of us have Galfer Green pads that do not score. They are soft and wear quickly, but still give good braking. Do you have a SS brake line? That will make your smile even wider!

When last did you service the forks? I do mine every 20k miles. Which year bike? Oil level not correct etc can make a big difference. Changing oil viscosity and a fork brace do wonders too.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #7509
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I've never heard of oil burning issues with the Gen I models. My 99 has never burned a drop of oil. The oil burning issues started with the Gen II models in 08, and the problem was rectified with the late 08 models. I don't believe there were oil burning issues with the 09 models.
Have a stroll on over to some of the other KLR forums. A lot have reported oil burners, mine burns a little bit of oil.

Quote:
The change in models happened in 08, not 07. The 08 and newer models have a better lever, but the spring is slack and provides no tension.

Regardless of what year KLR you get, do the doo!
That.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #7510
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 535
Like any new or new to you bike, you should keep an eye on the oil level. I did that for the first few oil changes on my '07.
Mine does not use, burn or leak oil. I have road tires on my bike and have other bikes for any hard core off road.
So my KLR never gets punished unless you call running 75/80 mph on the highway punishment.
Now the only time I do a precise oil check is when I change it. I'll take a glance every once in a while for safety.
I drain the oil hot and let it drip all night, refill with the engine cold, right to the top mark, bike on the center stand.
For the most part I have a KLR I never have to worry about oil level.
26,000 miles on the bike. I change the oil every 1500 miles and the oil filter every other oil change.

Here's 6 KLR's, none of them use oil.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #7511
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
I think you meant to say too long not too short.
whoops. Yep, I did.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #7512
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Have a stroll on over to some of the other KLR forums. A lot have reported [Generation 1] oil burners, mine burns a little bit of oil.
REALLY?

Haven't noticed many Generation 1 owners complaining of oil-burning.

Certainly, excessive oil consumption was not reported as a pandemic major issue until release of the '08 models, as I remember history.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised at ANYTHING found on, "other KLR forums."

XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #7513
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Jeff, if you were supplied with EBC HH pads, they will score the rotor quite badly. Many of us have Galfer Green pads that do not score. They are soft and wear quickly, but still give good braking. Do you have a SS brake line? That will make your smile even wider!

When last did you service the forks? I do mine every 20k miles. Which year bike? Oil level not correct etc can make a big difference. Changing oil viscosity and a fork brace do wonders too.
Yes, the kit came with EBC pads....will keep an eye on the rotor, thanks. Not installed yet, But SS brake lines are in the works.

I doubt if the forks have ever been serviced. Its a 2006, that I bought used a couple weeks ago with 4800 miles on it. Has 6000 now. Given that I'm 235 lbs, and will occasionally be running it loaded pretty well, odds are its under sprung. My experience with other Stone Age damper tube bikes, has shown me no amount of magic oils/springs, will control dive like emulator/intimator type valves, or better yet, cartridge style guts. It came with a fork brace on it, which is nice. As a cheap temp fix, I do plan to replace the oil with something a little heavier, and put longer spacers in, to increase preload, so that sag is correct.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #7514
Argentian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
[QUOTE=RandoCommando;21854254]I've never heard of oil burning issues with the Gen I models. My 99 has never burned a drop of oil. The oil burning issues started with the Gen II models in 08, and the problem was rectified with the late 08 models. I don't believe there were oil burning issues with the 09 models.

My old '03 burned a lot of oil. My '08 just "uses" a little bit (although more now than it used to). For sure a lot of the '08s had a worse problem but for the most part I agree that it seems to be hit and miss with KLRs.
Argentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #7515
deejmeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Any of you guys have any valve shims to sell or swap? I need 2x235 and 2x255s. I ordered from Mike but he's still moving his shop so it's bomb to be a while. Pm me thanks!
deejmeister is online now   Reply With Quote