Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #6646
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
The number of coworkers who ask me if I rode in because the weather is nice is exploding.
Its amazing how many people ask me that while still sitting on the bike.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #6647
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 822
I think the most stupid questions I've heard have come from some of the imbeciles in the office where I work. I guess that it isn't really surprising that in a day and age of people in general seeming to recognize few boundaries and respecting even fewer that any personal article brought into the workplace becomes a de facto show-and-tell item, but I have noticed that in particular that motorcycle gear really seems to fascinate hoi polloi everywhere. With few people in my office riding these days (most who did have retired or been RIFed), that means that every knuckle-dragging, curious dolt who happens to pass by my office seems to feel compelled to squeeze the armor in the sleeves of my jacket like a roll of Charmin, all the while gaping in wide-eyed astonishment to ask "Whutz in that sleeve? Whyz it feel so funny?". A couple of them have even put it on without bothering to ask if it were okay. I have learned to keep a straight face through my conniptions.

Mostly recently, the galoot who just moved into the cube next to me strolled in with his bag of microwave popcorn and despite my telling him repeatedly that I was about to join a teleconference in which I had to present to several people at multiple pay grades above me, even as I was putting my headset on and going off mute this dumbass reached over my head to take my helmet off the shelf over me, turning it over and over and fiddling with the visor release while babbling something like "How much duz somethin' like this cawst?" I had to remind myself that a rather large audience would have have heard me if I had voiced the first thing that came to mind, which was something like "Every drop of blood in your stupid body if you drop it." I felt a strong urge to beat the hell out of him, but pity stayed my hand. "It's a pity that there are so many potential witnesses around here," I thought to myself. Of course, riding home in the drizzling rain, I thought of him often, specifically everytime the glare of oncoming headlights hit the greasy smear he left with his grubby palm.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #6648
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
I think the most stupid questions I've heard have come from some of the imbeciles in the office where I work. I guess that it isn't really surprising that in a day and age of people in general seeming to recognize few boundaries and respecting even fewer that any personal article brought into the workplace becomes a de facto show-and-tell item, but I have noticed that in particular that motorcycle gear really seems to fascinate hoi polloi everywhere. With few people in my office riding these days (most who did have retired or been RIFed), that means that every knuckle-dragging, curious dolt who happens to pass by my office seems to feel compelled to squeeze the armor in the sleeves of my jacket like a roll of Charmin, all the while gaping in wide-eyed astonishment to ask "Whutz in that sleeve? Whyz it feel so funny?". A couple of them have even put it on without bothering to ask if it were okay. I have learned to keep a straight face through my conniptions.

Mostly recently, the galoot who just moved into the cube next to me strolled in with his bag of microwave popcorn and despite my telling him repeatedly that I was about to join a teleconference in which I had to present to several people at multiple pay grades above me, even as I was putting my headset on and going off mute this dumbass reached over my head to take my helmet off the shelf over me, turning it over and over and fiddling with the visor release while babbling something like "How much duz somethin' like this cawst?" I had to remind myself that a rather large audience would have have heard me if I had voiced the first thing that came to mind, which was something like "Every drop of blood in your stupid body if you drop it." I felt a strong urge to beat the hell out of him, but pity stayed my hand. "It's a pity that there are so many potential witnesses around here," I thought to myself. Of course, riding home in the drizzling rain, I thought of him often, specifically everytime the glare of oncoming headlights hit the greasy smear he left with his grubby palm.
Should've thrown him under the bus to the several layers of people above you, ie, "stand by, _____________ seems to feel the need to be in my cubicle trying to disrupt this meeting, please excuse me a moment while I serve an eviction notice."

I still can't believe how many times I get the "you rode today" when it rains, is cold, etc. Uh, yes, I enjoy it, so unless it is threatening to snow/be icy, the bike is broken and I'm waiting for parts or I need to haul something that won't fit on the bike, I'll be riding.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #6649
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
Should've thrown him under the bus to the several layers of people above you, ie, "stand by, _____________ seems to feel the need to be in my cubicle trying to disrupt this meeting, please excuse me a moment while I serve an eviction notice."
Good idea. Instead of trying to pretend everything was going smoothly on my end, one or two VPs could have been on the phone with his VP to ask why his cretin was running around unsupervised.

Oh, he's also one of those with the pathological need to make simpleminded small talk. Every time it rains... "Didja ride the bike today?" (My response in the affirmative is what triggered his insatiable urge to inspect my riding gear.) Every time it doesn't rain... "Good weather for riding, ain't it?" No, I'm not comfortable riding in direct sunlight. That, garlic, and wooden stakes through my heart are all things my primary care physician has told me to avoid.

*Edit* Turns out there is a whole thread devoted to this topic.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800

PalePhase screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 01:40 PM
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #6650
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 270
On a recent trip across Wyoming, while I was packing up at a motel in Riverton, a young local kid, maybe 14, was eyeballing my old R100GS. He asked, "What are those things sticking out the side? Is that the engine?" I explained that it is a horizontally opposed engine, and that those were indeed the cylinders. He stared at it for a minute, and then came out with, "Have ya ever got grilled?" I stared at him for a while, and finally managed, "Grilled?" "Yeah, grilled by those things sticking out like that. You know, git yer leg against 'em and get grilled?" I chuckled, said "not yet," and kept packing. Nice kid, at least he was thinking.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #6651
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
On a recent trip across Wyoming, while I was packing up at a motel in Riverton, a young local kid, maybe 14, was eyeballing my old R100GS. He asked, "What are those things sticking out the side? Is that the engine?" I explained that it is a horizontally opposed engine, and that those were indeed the cylinders. He stared at it for a minute, and then came out with, "Have ya ever got grilled?" I stared at him for a while, and finally managed, "Grilled?" "Yeah, grilled by those things sticking out like that. You know, git yer leg against 'em and get grilled?" I chuckled, said "not yet," and kept packing. Nice kid, at least he was thinking.
That's a great story!

I started a new job a couple months ago, and the place has roughly 1000 employees. There's dedicated motorcycle parking in the lot, and I seem to be the only one who rides. Once or twice I've seen another bike parked, but almost always mine is the only one.

So... I'm already the "motorcycle guy."

So the other day a coworker comes up and asks me what kind of bike it is. He tells me he's got a VTX 1300, but he doesn't ride it to work because he doesn't have any luggage like I do. He's referring to my 45 L Givi topcase that I keep on the bike all the time. I carry my work clothes in it, and then store my riding gear in it while I'm working.

He tells me that he was over looking at my bike and commented on the topcase, "It looks like one of those bikes that you'd use to ride around the world."

And then he adds, "I don't mean that in a bad way."

Cool thing was is that he expressed some regret over buying a cruiser since he said he can't go a lot of places he likes to ride since it doesn't have any ground clearance and the tires aren't up for gravel.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #6652
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
That's a great story!

I started a new job a couple months ago, and the place has roughly 1000 employees. There's dedicated motorcycle parking in the lot, and I seem to be the only one who rides. Once or twice I've seen another bike parked, but almost always mine is the only one.

So... I'm already the "motorcycle guy."

So the other day a coworker comes up and asks me what kind of bike it is. He tells me he's got a VTX 1300, but he doesn't ride it to work because he doesn't have any luggage like I do. He's referring to my 45 L Givi topcase that I keep on the bike all the time. I carry my work clothes in it, and then store my riding gear in it while I'm working.

He tells me that he was over looking at my bike and commented on the topcase, "It looks like one of those bikes that you'd use to ride around the world."

And then he adds, "I don't mean that in a bad way."

Cool thing was is that he expressed some regret over buying a cruiser since he said he can't go a lot of places he likes to ride since it doesn't have any ground clearance and the tires aren't up for gravel.

Jamie
Its funny you mention that. It's pretty common to talk with people who may make dumb statements about my GS, but then offer up wisdom how great their bike is in one breath but then in the next mention how they wish it could do things that mine can ultimately complaining that its not versatile enough.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #6653
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Furlong = 1/8 mile so 200-300 would be 25-37.5 mph, which is about right for a cruiser on a nice, twisty road
I know what it is, have only heard it used in reference to horse racing.
That is the speed range for cruisers in my area tho, so It would be about right.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #6654
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
That doesn't sound stupid. That sounds like a future bike rider looking for a BMW :)

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #6655
mneblett
Professional Lurker

Oddometer: 149
[I know what it is, have only heard it used in reference to horse racing.]

Easy to remember variation that usually puts brains into a tailspin:

Furlongs per fortnight.
mneblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #6656
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
[I know what it is, have only heard it used in reference to horse racing.]

Easy to remember variation that usually puts brains into a tailspin:

Furlongs per fortnight.
I like to tell temperature via Kelvin.
It is 300.37° here today!
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #6657
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
I like to tell temperature via Kelvin.
It is 300.37° here today!
I count my age in Mars years, That makes me 30!!!

Richard
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #6658
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
I count my age in Mars years, That makes me 30!!!
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #6659
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,381
I park my 2012 red R1200R on the sidewalk at my girl friends house. It was garbage day so her can was on the sidewalk too. I pulled right up to the can and went inside. Two reasonably well dressed men were looking at the bike. Girl friend asked if she could help them. They asked what she was doing with the motorcycle like it was out to the curb with the garbage. We both got a good laugh.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #6660
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I park my 2012 red R1200R on the sidewalk at my girl friends house. It was garbage day so her can was on the sidewalk too. I pulled right up to the can and went inside. Two reasonably well dressed men were looking at the bike. Girl friend asked if she could help them. They asked what she was doing with the motorcycle like it was out to the curb with the garbage. We both got a good laugh.
You're throwing this out? Funny...
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote