User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Range Rover OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
X Challenge or G650GS SerTao

I'm loooking at a clean 2004 X-Challenge around $6500 or a new 2012 SerTao for $7900.. What's the better deal?
(Yeah, I know I'm in the F-Twins bb, but figured I'd get some good honest feedback here)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Rover View Post
I'm loooking at a clean 2004 X-Challenge around $6500 or a new 2012 SerTao for $7900.. What's the better deal?
(Yeah, I know I'm in the F-Twins bb, but figured I'd get some good honest feedback here)
Before we are forcibly removed, the 2007 X-Challenge is dramatically lighter but hindered by a small fuel tank and a limited range of farkles. It's much more of a mid-sized dirt bike than a Sertao which is every inch a GS.

I had a X-Country and miss its off-road manners. My F700 doesn't even come close. ~365# for an X, ~480# for an F700/800!

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 359
x-challenge

Take the x-challenge. MUCH lighter and very capable off road. 140kg dry without ABS. (Also much lighter that the new 650 husky.) You can take that on some reasonably serious tracks that you would not take the Sertao on. (Unless you are a dirt bike genius)
I only went from x-challenge to F800 so I could do more 2 up touring.
The x-challenge would go anywhere. You can get a good seat for it. Also some easy mods to make the original seat comfortable. I got used to the height. No worries. It is also very economical. 200km + to a tank. Good auxiliary tanks are available. I modified a 1980s k100 screen to fit the top of the xch screen. Worked a treat. Looked good, painted black)
One up touring, no problem. I did 2000km tours on it. Road and dirt.
Loved it. (And miss it)
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
For offroad riding the X-Ch is a far superior platform to start from, the Sertao is an overweight pig which helps its stability on the road.

But:
- there is no 2004 X-Ch, only 2007+
- $6500 is way overpriced unless it includes a ton of upgrades
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Range Rover OP
Adventurer

Ok, i checked back w the guy and its a 2007. I understand that the X-challenge overall dimensions will be quite a bit smaller than the sertao. Im 6'1", 220# and the guy said i may be a bit cramped on the X. Any validity to that?

I do agree that the sertao is a bit overweight. I really should be looking for a street legal dirt bike like a ktm450 as a play bike, im just not able to play like i want to on the 1200gsa.

Thanx for the comments.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

You should really ask yourself what are you going to use the bike for?

The 450-570 KTM/Husabergs are in a completely different league than even the X-Challenge offroad, let alone the Sertao that weighs almost 150 lbs more with about the same or less power...

For me a big 650 single would have too much overlap with a GSA if I did not have any smaller bike for the dirt, but of course it depends on where and how you like to ride.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

No worries

You will fit the xch. No worries. It is a tall bike.
Take one for a ride and you will never look back.

Apart from the 450 the xchallange is the most dirt capable bike BMW ever made. Actually built for them by aprilia.
Yes, it is a 650 trailie. But once you chuck it around off road you will love it.

I have owned an original F650 and an Aprilia Pegaso. The Xchallenge is a completely different beast.

If you want a gravel road tourer then anything will do. If you want a serious adventure bike get the xchallenge. It's closest comparison is KTM690. Same weight and specs. Has a few less HP and has the air spring. (Like the latest dirt bikes have in the front) But otherwise very much of the same mould.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Kiwi,

Have you ridden a 690? While the engine is not quite as smooth and reliable as the Rotax, it does have 67 horses vs. the 53 of the X-Ch (+26%!!), and 70nm torque vs. 60nm (+17%!). Let alone the fact that it manages to do this while weighing 12 kgs less than the X-Ch (I'm talking actual wet weight, no fuel) and having far superior fully adjustable WP suspension front and back. While the price also reflects this, saying they are the same spec and weight does not really apply here....

And even so, in serious dirt the 690 is a heavy beast compared to the 570 and smaller bikes, as you simply can't hide 24 kgs when it gets slow or technical or you have to pick the bike up.

The OP really needs to give us some more detail on the riding he is planning to use this bike for.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Range Rover OP
Adventurer

A little more insight

OK, good stuff. Yes, one of you noted that I ride a GSA. Honestly, I love it, but have developed an itch to really get out in the dirt, off trail. But don't want a MX'er to have to trailer around. I'm an hour or more from any good OHV rec areas in N Georgia, so I have that to deal with.

Here's my motivation: I spent a few hours on the playground at the BMWRAid in Asheville on my R1200GSA a few weeks ago, and was so sore the next day I could barely raise my arms in the shower.
I had fun, but I 'd like a bike I can throw around a turn, launch it off a berm and just get a little crazy with it. Something light and powerful enough to stand the front end up in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear with a twist of the throttle.

At 400+ pounds, the Sertao is probably not going to fit the bill. I had read several threads that the Xchallenge bikes are ripe for modifications that will make them pretty gritty, and it's nice to have much of the depreciation wrung out of it already.

Maybe I need to get a trailer and a MX'er to scratch the itch.

I do appreciate the conversation and advice.
Cheers.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Info

Hey LukasM. please don't take offense. I was not taking a dig at the all mighty KTM. I was actually trying to point out that the xchallenge is nothing like the rest of the BMW 650 singles which are very heavy.

re the KTM comparison. I stand by what I said, which is that the xchallenge is "closer" to the KTM than to the rest of the BMW stable.
As for the specs. According to the manufacturers the xch weighs 144kg dry (Non-ABS) and the KTM 138kg. (Empty tank)
And in my previous post I did already say that the xch makes less power and has the airshock at the rear. I have ridden a mates 530. Very nice. I have not ridden the 690 but have had a good look at it and moved one about a muddy field. It is not 12 kg lighter than the xch.

So, please try to be constructive without getting to hung up on brands.

Kiwi Tinkerer screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 12:42 AM
Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
which one

I'll chime in with a vote for the X-Challenge. Good motor. Cane be made comfortable for someone 6'3" like me.

However, I think the price is too high by a grand unless the bike is pretty farkled up. Many have sold on here closer to $5K. They haven't reached cult status by any means.

IMHO, of course.