Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #31
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Today I took the 16T sprocket off the 650 and put the 17T back on. I prefer the lower engine speed at cruise. The 16t gave the bike great midrange pull. But the cruise speed was buzzier and the slow speed improvements really are not needed for a bike that will not see much slow speed technical riding.

For comparison, I recorded the cruise speeds at two rpms. These are all ACTUAL speeds as recorded on the gps. Indicated speeds were much higher.

With 16T sprocket: 4500 rpm = 69 mph, 5000 rpm = 76 mph
With 17T sprocket: 4500 rpm = 75 mph, 5000 rpm = 82 mph

With stock 17T sprocket, the bike is running easy at 4000 rpm and 70 mph actual. Fuel economy is in the mid 50's with the 17T and in the low to mid 40's with the 16T.

Navaho screwed with this post 05-15-2009 at 05:05 PM
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #32
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,377
Rattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman
I have a rattle in my gearbox when I ride below 3000 RPM. My dealer said just go faster. I don't know anyone that has one so that I can ride their bike to see if this is normal. I really don't think BMW would build a bike that does this. I would like some input so I can have a little arguing power for my next meeting. I am also having problems finding neutral. Help

I have the same rattle, although I have been wondering if it's engine knock or in the gearbox. Seems to happen no matter which gear I'm in so I'm leaning towards knock at this point. And yes, the oil is fulll and the chain is tight.

As far as shifting goes, I haven't noticed any problems at all.
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #33
Boggerboggette
Bogger

Oddometer: 7
Check out Wunderlich website

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOROVN View Post
The gears on the f650 gs are a pretty tall. Currently it has 17 and 41 tooth sprockets. I would like to try a 16 and a 15 to see which works better. I cant seem to find anyone who carries them.

Has anyone changed the gearing? What is a good source for these parts?

BTW, the BMW dealer says they cant even get the 16 which is stock on the 800.

Check out wunderlich website. They offer 16 and 17 tooth sprockets and 41 and 42 teeth rear gears as well as chains for the 800gs and 650gs. Check out the cruise control too, it works backwards (read the customer review) but is pretty sweet on long highway rides.
Boggerboggette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #34
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
I am plenty happy with Wunderlich's 16T sprocket and throttle control on my 798.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #35
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho View Post
Today I took the 16T sprocket off the 650 and put the 17T back on. I prefer the lower engine speed at cruise. The 16t gave the bike great midrange pull. But the cruise speed was buzzier and the slow speed improvements really are not needed for a bike that will not see much slow speed technical riding.

For comparison, I recorded the cruise speeds at two rpms. These are all ACTUAL speeds as recorded on the gps. Indicated speeds were much higher.

With 16T sprocket: 4500 rpm = 69 mph, 5000 rpm = 76 mph
With 17T sprocket: 4500 rpm = 75 mph, 5000 rpm = 82 mph

With stock 17T sprocket, the bike is running easy at 4000 rpm and 70 mph actual. Fuel economy is in the mid 50's with the 17T and in the low to mid 40's with the 16T.
I recently went to a 16 /41 sprocket combo as well. The 16 definantly gives a stronger feel in first and 2nd gear off road. You sacrifice at highway speeds though. Its real buzzy at 80+mph. I am riding from indianapolis to coloraso springs and then up into upper montana in September and am debating on throwing the 17 backnon or having the 17 on until coloradi springs and then switch it out for the 16 in the hills. I defjnantlh love how better it pulls up hills with the 16. The 17 seemed like you were down shifting alot when it came to hills.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #36
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
If you order through Touratech, get the higher priced sprocket. I have a 15 and 17 tooth for my F800. The 17 looks like it has been media blasted and slips right on, the 15 tooth is as cast and is too tight on the splines.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #37
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
I recently went to a 16 /41 sprocket combo as well. The 16 definantly gives a stronger feel in first and 2nd gear off road. You sacrifice at highway speeds though. Its real buzzy at 80+mph. I am riding from indianapolis to coloraso springs and then up into upper montana in September and am debating on throwing the 17 backnon or having the 17 on until coloradi springs and then switch it out for the 16 in the hills. I defjnantlh love how better it pulls up hills with the 16. The 17 seemed like you were down shifting alot when it came to hills.
I put a 16 on my F700 (NB: it came with a 42 tooth rear) and once I adjusted to how DIFFERENT the bike feels, I haven't looked back.

I'm even toying with trying a 15 to see how it feels at low speeds off-pavement. The stall speed with a 16 tooth is still in the low teens. On my prior bike, a G650X-Country, I went to a 15 and my stall speed dropped to 9 mph on level ground. (Stall speed is defined as the speed at which the clutch must be pulled in to keep the engine from stalling with no throttle input, after the bike is already rolling, of course.)

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #38
Barbadi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
2008 650 gs twin here...

...changed my frond sprocket set to the f 800 GS's one. Factory BMW item the dealer got me with no problem.

I 'm never going back to stock. Better shifting, better holding to course in tight bends, better off road, even better -slightly- fuel economy.

just some rear tire sliping when I hurry off a traffic light.

Makes me wonder why the f@ck the Germans didn't put it there in the first place...
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #39
The Beacon
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question

My daughter has been riding a 2003 F650 GS and claims the bike is "skipping" gears. She was speaking through the scala and complained several times that the bike "went into neutral" from 3rd or 4th gear. Any suggestion what might be causing this? Appreciate any input before I approach the local dealer's shop, they don't inspire me with much confidence...
The Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #40
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,408
You again!

How's your clutch these days?

The singles have many neutrals as it seems. You need to shift like you mean it. I often did that when tired and lazy shifted it. Seems to be common.

If the chain's too tight it'll be hard to shift if that should happen.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote