Haha, yup. That's why I wear all my gear :P
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
I think the F800 is starting to bring out the inner hooligan in me... my average mileage has gone from 56 down to 49 with no other changes besides the gear I ride in and how far I twist my wrist

That stopwatch on the dashboard may or may not contribute to this when I try to beat my time to work. 50 minutes today :P
The nice thing is that the authorities (at least in the UK) don't see the F800GS as a hooligan bike. In general it is viewed as a sensible and respectable choice. But it tempts you every day to engage in all manner of antisocial behaviour.

Blog: Blogspot **SO NEW IT STINKS!** Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
The nice thing is that the authorities (at least in the UK) don't see the F800GS as a hooligan bike. In general it is viewed as a sensible and respectable choice. But it tempts you every day to engage in all manner of antisocial behaviour.
Exactly! I find the same thing! It's quiet, low revving, tall, and easy to make it look like you're not screwing around or going way over the posted limit.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
As a one-bike solution, the F800 is pretty hard to fault. The KTM1190 might be more up your alley if you find the 800's power lacking - but coming from a boxer, don't be afraid to give it some revs. The power keeps coming well after your old redline. I'll probably go the KTM route when I next trade up, since occasional two-up duty is now in my job description. The 800 isn't able to comfortably accommodate a pillion behind my, err, generously-proportioned backside.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 91
The 800 has one of the best engines Ive ever ridden. Crazy good fuel economy and tons of power to loose your license over and over.
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
Krap To Maintain

Oddometer: 171
Take the KTM 1190 (150hp) or the new hyperstrada (110hp) for a test drive

13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
07 KTM 300
990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
how about the 650x challenge? how does it compare to the 800?

or is this apples and oranges

I trust the Ktm to be awesome. but there's something in the back of my head saying; maintenance hell. and old, proven, model I'd trust. but test drive, sure! good idea
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #23
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

found The xt660z a lot mote rev happy than The f650gs. in comparison to The f800 The front seems a bit heavier though they carry the same size front wheel.

the bike seems to torque it's way through with a great rumble. did get a big touring vibe, as opposed to lower fun factor.

next up, the g650xc
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #24
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Speaking to the Horsepower issue : The F800gs is not an Hayabusa, by any means.
It will easily reach and maintain the rev limiter in top gear, and acceleration is adequate in the lower gears.
For a long distance, all weather, any road touring machine, it's only visible fault is the 4 gallon internal fuel capacity.
If you can live with a 240 mile fuel range, and only 80 or so horsepower.... It is damn near a perfect road motorcycle.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I had a f800GS for two years and 26,000 miles. Very well mannered, fantastic mileage but kind of blah and got buzzy over 65mph. And then there were all those issues that arose from it being a new model.

Traded it for a Tiger 800 when they first came out . Much more fun to ride, better highway bike by far. Only issues over 28,000 miles were a new EFI tune to clear up a stalling problem and a new spring on the centerstand, in other words not much of anything. That engine whine is annoying though.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I love my F800GS

I have several bikes but the F800GS is the one I'd make do with if I had to choose one. Mine is a 2009 model and it has 30000 K on it, BMW did the required recall changes in 2010 (chain and sprockets) since then the only problem I've had was the loss of a clutch at 16000 K (the bike was still functional). The clutch was replaced under warranty and I've never had the bike out of service due to any mechanical issue. I'm not a motocross racer and I don't pretend to be an off-road expert but I've done lots off pavement road riding , commuting and solo touring this bike rocks!!! No bike does everything and the F800GS has its limitations but you'll have to pry these handle bars out of dead fingers before I'll give it up.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I had a f800GS for two years and 26,000 miles. Very well mannered, fantastic mileage but kind of blah and got buzzy over 65mph. And then there were all those issues that arose from it being a new model.
Well, this is what I'm getting at. coming from a 1200 I'm used to a jumpy engine. not that this one is a race bike. but the torque is massive. that's the biggest negative for me on the f800. it has to buzz buzz buzz before it has power. or at least, that's the impression I got from the demo bike; which had only 50, 60 miles on it yet.

keep in mind that this is a first ride impression. don't know if yours is any different in the power department.

rest of the bike is wonderful but used prices are still a bit on the steep end.

going for a spin on the 650xc this evening. I may pop by the triumph shop tomorrow for the tiger. I might as well give the little whiner a try ;)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

right. the g650xch engine is nothing like the gs version, that's for sure. great bike, but I imagine loading luggage onto it is a real pain :)

could make a well behaved commuter and a wonderful fun bike. travel bike may require some mods though.

anyone able to talk some sense into me? thoughts on this one?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Can't lose with either bike

If the choice is as simple as which bike do I buy BMW F800GS or Triumph Tiger? Hell flip a coin and enjoy! If you an off-road bias buy the BMW if you lean toward pavement riding buy the Tiger... IMHO
Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #30
tommyvdv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Roads View Post
If the choice is as simple as which bike do I buy BMW F800GS or Triumph Tiger? Hell flip a coin and enjoy! If you an off-road bias buy the BMW if you lean toward pavement riding buy the Tiger... IMHO
to me doesn't seem that simple. there is a shortage of best all round bikes out there :)

if I liked street only bikes or 4cils I'd pick I bandit. if I had sufficient funds to do so I'd just buy buy buy until I found one that suits me. but I don't.

I'm trying to get a few opinions on different bikes. this made me look at some bikes I would've not concidered before I started this. and that's the point.

end choice will be up to a test ride and what I think of it after that. until know the only one that did not get a "meh" was the g650. but that one seems damn impractical.

tommyvdv screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 04:16 AM