Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #601
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
$1800 seems very high unless it has a 705 kit and no miles.
Haha! That's kinda what I was thinking too. Hopefully my appeal on thumpertalk will yield some less expensive fruit.

On a side note: Uhh does someone really make a 705 kit for these things?!! I've ridden one and can't imagine the stock suspension and brakes dealing with the added speed that kind of HP increase would bring very well at all. Stock is fine, hopped up has to=SCARY :eek:

No offense intended Austin, but you've ridden the beast a long way so you probably know what I'm talking about, lol, it ain't no MX bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #602
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
$1800 seems very high, unless it's like brand new of something, seeing as how I got my KLR for $2200 - the whole thing!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #603
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,865
http://www.klr650.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152
Old 07-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #604
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukaWai View Post
$1800 seems very high, unless it's like brand new of something, seeing as how I got my KLR for $2200 - the whole thing!
Exactly! I got mine for $2,300 the whole thing including two pelican cases, sw crashbar, TT Vapor, etc.

$400-600 ballpark would seem right for engine.

Good luck and keeping eyes on this..
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #605
swifter78261
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Speedmonkey - yes, I did see that one on my cruise through eBay. $1800 is ridiculous unless it comes with the bike too.

Does anyone here know how interchangeable the >'07 and <'08 engines are???

The 685/705 kits intrigue me.. The KLR is no MX bike, but it'd be a lot of fun to have the extra horsepower to blast around like it was. I feel it's definitely underpowered with the stock 650 when loaded with racks / hard cases / gear.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #606
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifter78261 View Post
Speedmonkey - yes, I did see that one on my cruise through eBay. $1800 is ridiculous unless it comes with the bike too.

The 685/705 kits intrigue me.. The KLR is no MX bike, but it'd be a lot of fun to have the extra horsepower to blast around like it was. I feel it's definitely underpowered with the stock 650 when loaded with racks / hard cases / gear.
Yep, the 685cc were mean to give some extra ponies to help climbing uphill with all the load, and supposedly at same time reduce the vibrating? I wouldn't know anything about the vibrating because when I bought my KLR, it already had 685cc kit so I don't know the difference between 650 and 685 in power and in vibration.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #607
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:

I would avoid an 08 engine unless it's damn cheap AND you are okay with putting in fresh rings (with a proper hone) before installation. They're known for burning oil pretty bad.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #608
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,650
Quote:

The ignition and charging systems between an 07 and 08 KLR are completely different and are "NOT" a drop in replacement.

Most 07 and earlier KLR owners don't know the ignition system is separate from the charging system -----and it will run with a dead battery or without a battery. As there is a coil in the alternator that excites the ignition coil--just like any old dirt bike. Pretty handy on a round the world ride.

The new ones have a larger alternator that only charges the battery-----and the ignition in them requires 12 volts from the battery to power the ignition coil.

Another big reason I prefer the pre-08 models.

I'm ignorant of any other drop-in differences---but am sure of that one.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #609
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I would avoid an 08 engine unless it's damn cheap AND you are okay with putting in fresh rings (with a proper hone) before installation. They're known for burning oil pretty bad.

Rob
Ok so you are stuck in the gobi desert, some goat herder has an 08 motor and you refuse it until you can get it honed out and new rings on it?

Yer not in a position to be a "chooser" you need something that will go in, run decent so you can continue your adventure, if it needs a bit of oil ever few hundred miles then so be it, you save being picky when your sitting on the internet with the bike in the garage
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #610
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Agreed!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #611
Wump
aka Mister Wisker

Oddometer: 83
650-688 difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Yep, the 685cc were mean to give some extra ponies to help climbing uphill with all the load, and supposedly at same time reduce the vibrating? I wouldn't know anything about the vibrating because when I bought my KLR, it already had 685cc kit so I don't know the difference between 650 and 685 in power and in vibration.
I swapped to a 688 mid trip. I feel a minimal difference in vibration, but perhaps some. I have a Renthal bar I filled with steel slingshot shot, though I didn't feel much with that either. Maybe I just don't have feelings.

Power wise, nothing to write home about, but again some. When I hop on my sisters stock KLR I notice a bit less torque with hers. I don't notice a difference in the amount of vibration though, and her bike is pretty well stock.
I do notice I consistently use a little more gas than her though. (Riding style and weight account for some of that difference).
Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #612
Wump
aka Mister Wisker

Oddometer: 83
motor advice

Quote:
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I've really hit a knowledge and ability wall at this point. I simply have zero experience or knowledge with engines and do not trust myself to proceed any further without screwing something up, and this is not the job I want to learn by the seat of my pants on. That's something I'd rather do when the consequences aren't so high, this bike being my only form of transportation at the moment...
After you get back from your side trip, grab your clymer manual and start tearing the top end of the motor apart. And the left side cover. You can't hurt it now, and either way that motor has to come out. (you CAN work on it in the frame, but that's more difficult).
Take a good look at what all is broken and start from there.
If you find a new motor, great! You're a step ahead by having the broken one out already.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #613
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,678
Hey Austin....got a line on a few pre 08 motors in Atlanta. lemme know if you are interested and I'll get some specifics.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #614
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,618
Thumb New to the party... and IN!!!

WoooHooo GREAT RR!!! guy's, I look forward to sharing some phylosophical reply's with you when things get ironed out.

Skipped a few pages but see we have a blown KLR here...

$1800- seems super spendy yes I agree.. BUT I've seen them go from $799- back in 2010 to friggen $1500- to $1800- in the last couple years!
Just the dang way things are now

As BDA said the Gen1 and Gen2 bikes use different systems/Stators R/R's ect... You could though... probably swap your stator into a Gen1 and go I believe. not that those engines are very cheap right now either!
Or throw a fresh jug/head/cover on your bike from most any year 1996 and up... be curious to see what Chris finds when you dig deeper into the engine.
I have a load of engines and parts laying around right now depending on what ya may need (I blow one up about every 20,000mi... so more than one a year)

I know it feels like a bitch right now.. but we can learn patience and to let the flow of the universe take place without forcing our way through it. I blew an engine in Anchorage 2010... it was the universe reminding me I had better/more important places to be at the time, like flying home to hold an old friends hand while he took his last breaths... then another in WA /Idaho in 2011... then another last year in Newfoundland, which really reminded me to sloooow down and go with the flooow of my new Newfy family. To get up in the morning and put myself at their disposal... my schedule and dream had to vanish for a while. I then melded into my surroundings and life got reeaally interesting again!^)-

Peace and enjoy... the Adventure has juuust begun,
Jim

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 11:12 PM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #615
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Costs.
Well , it's driven by demand and supply.
I bought my KLR , a '92 in 2004 for $1175. It needed a little work. And after that it did fine until I ran it out of oil.
My replacement motor in '06 cost me more than the original bike. I paid $1300 for the replacement motor . It 's and '06 that only had 1000 miles on it at purchase time.
Good deal, or bad ? That's all 40,000 miles behind me now , just do what it takes to get going.
If you look around you might find a whole KLR for as little as $500 , it's happened before, just not to me.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote