Old 07-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #6271
tuscan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
We won't see it here, but

Comes with electric leg as standard.........

Lower ride height:..........

Stick original shock, forks and rims on and an original exhaust and you've got what the XR 400 should have been before it was discontinued......

Would sell like hot cakes if it had increased capacity to a 450 motor as well.

We can only dream what could have been

If you aren't riding what ARE you doing?
tuscan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #6272
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
I missed a XR400 European version (I think) on CL a couple months back. It was an 07 with e-start and supermoto wheel set. Guy was asking a bit for it, but man was it sick.
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #6273
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 579
I had what I would call a major malfunction with my 400 today... I was on the way home from a friends house which is a hood 20 mile drive and about a mile away from his house I stopped normally at a stop sign, but when I pulled away I got to second and when I pulled the clutch in to shift to third I heard a metal clink noise and the clutch went limp... All of a sudden I now have zero clutch lever and no way to stop at any signs or intersections. At first I thought my clutch cable had snapped but when I got the the next stop sign the truck at the sign decided to stop for a longer than needed stop and I jerked to a stop and of course the bike dies... I figured I would see where it broke while I figured out how I was gonna get going again. Turns out the cable isn't broke, it has to be something in the clutch itself because the part the cable moves is completely limp. I the had to go to neutral to crank it, got a running start and quickly shifted to first and had to avoid stopping at signs and intersections the whole way home... I won't be able to disassemble it until I get off at 6 but I'm worried about what I might find. If anyone might know anything the help would be appreciated. Hopefully you will be able to give me some advice.
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #6274
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron2a View Post
I had what I would call a major malfunction with my 400 today... I was on the way home from a friends house which is a hood 20 mile drive and about a mile away from his house I stopped normally at a stop sign, but when I pulled away I got to second and when I pulled the clutch in to shift to third I heard a metal clink noise and the clutch went limp... All of a sudden I now have zero clutch lever and no way to stop at any signs or intersections. At first I thought my clutch cable had snapped but when I got the the next stop sign the truck at the sign decided to stop for a longer than needed stop and I jerked to a stop and of course the bike dies... I figured I would see where it broke while I figured out how I was gonna get going again. Turns out the cable isn't broke, it has to be something in the clutch itself because the part the cable moves is completely limp. I the had to go to neutral to crank it, got a running start and quickly shifted to first and had to avoid stopping at signs and intersections the whole way home... I won't be able to disassemble it until I get off at 6 but I'm worried about what I might find. If anyone might know anything the help would be appreciated. Hopefully you will be able to give me some advice.
there's not a lot of moving parts in there. shouldn't be to hard to fix. I'm not to far from you and have been into a 400. hell i have a complet basket case bike in my shop right now.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #6275
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,570
Actuator Shaft may be broken....

Remove the grapefruit-sized clutch cover (seven bolts, 8mm wrench)...

no gasket (reusable o-ring), and replace the shaft. You ought to be able to get away with fixing it for cheap-cheap if you don't mind used parts...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XR400-...90850784184%26
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 08:55 AM
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #6276
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Thanks for the help... I think I can get it fixed if I had the parts... I will pull it apart tonight to see what's broken.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #6277
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

It also may be the mushroom end of the Lifter broken off. I can't find a picture, but Part #10 in this diagram...

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m3085#sch95120

Like Switchblade said, there's not a lot of things to break in there.
XR400 Index
Old 07-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #6278
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
+1 on that. I've been considering picking one of these up to carry in my tool bag; I've been hearing of these failing a lot lately.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #6279
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Getting ready to crack it open... I'll post pics of what I find.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #6280
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

I might have a problem...

This is fine:

But this is broke :( :
What it should look like

And now

Anyone know how hard this is to replace?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #6281
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 29,877
Quote:

This is fine:

What it should look like

And now

not hard at all..pm me your address and I will mail you one free...yeah I know, sux being a nice guy but somebody has to do it!

oh, at least your clutch plates are installed correctly!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #6282
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Noticed my 2002 was puffing grey blue smoke when cracking the throttle,much worse cold than warm engine wise. Also had someone follow me on the trail and he said it puffed smoke when I whacked it good and hard up the trails. So its burning some oil but so far not that I noticed on the dip stick, maybe not too bad yet.

But I want to tackle it, any common causes for these bikes? I am thinking being an air cooled motor worn rings are probably the cause. I can run a compression check, but just looking to hear from others who may have had the same issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #6283
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 29,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Noticed my 2002 was puffing grey blue smoke when cracking the throttle,much worse cold than warm engine wise. Also had someone follow me on the trail and he said it puffed smoke when I whacked it good and hard up the trails. So its burning some oil but so far not that I noticed on the dip stick, maybe not too bad yet.

But I want to tackle it, any common causes for these bikes? I am thinking being an air cooled motor worn rings are probably the cause. I can run a compression check, but just looking to hear from others who may have had the same issue.

you tear it down that far, just as well service the head too..new valve seals, lap the valves after checking them for replacement etc..just typical top end service..good luck
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #6284
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
you tear it down that far, just as well service the head too..new valve seals, lap the valves after checking them for replacement etc..just typical top end service..good luck
Yeah I was considering that. However I've never done head work before, although it seems easy, I would want to have that done and just do the piston and rings myself. Guess it will be a winter project and I'll just keep an eye on the oil on each ride.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #6285
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
What it should look like

And now

Yep, that's the mushroom-end of the Clutch Lifter I mentioned earlier. Nothing to it...

Remove the five clutch spring bolts (in stages, three or four turns each, rotating around until they're all out), and remove the outer plate (not the outer clutch disc, but the aluminum plate we see here). The Lifter simply slides in and out of the bearing from the back side. Install the new Lifter from DrLewell and re-assemble.
XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 10:07 AM