Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #2731
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday morning I was finishing up remodeling a house in Tulsa Oklahoma:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

And by evening was heading back through the Nebraska Sandhills ranch country with cattle grazing at sunset:

I didn't expect my lawn to revert to tall grass prairie in the two months since I last mowed it:

I may have to rethink the lawn mowing program while I head out to Oregon for the next few weeks. While I was gone for six months last winter the lawn didn't need mowing. Hmmmm. I think I need a summer lawn service.

Things are going well on the South America travel fund raising front. I have had good luck working, selling motorcycle parts and remodeling for paypal donations. It seems to be a winning combination so far. Still on track to head back to Medellin in October.

Best,
Juan Jardiner
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #2732
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 575
If its a small yard and you dont mind dirt you could spray Pramitol on it or put it down in granular form .It advertizes about a 6 month to year kill but in reality it will kill every thing for about 3 months . I normally spray it with Glyphosphate (roundup) 2-4-D (buturac) for a full over the top kill and the pramitol gives it new growth suppression. I normally do this twice a year in spots I dont want green , once in april then again in july or so .

I used to be a cotton/peanut farmer and later a chem salesman .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #2733
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe View Post
Hey John. I am enjoying the report the way it is. This is one of the best reports out there. Like seeing what you are doing to fund your travels. Not everyone has a trust fund or are just wealthy. You are an inspiration to us poor folks! If Mr. Greg does not like the path of your report, there are thousands of other reports he can be reading. Keep it up John!!!
Agree, even if you're not poor this is a fantastic read, don't move or change anything, keep going and building your brand.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #2734
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 724
John,

If you don't mind me asking- What requirement did it take for you to be able to leave your bike in Colombia while you take a short break from the trip to recoup some $? I'm kinda curious what the process was. Sorry if it was already mentioned and I missed that.

By the way, fantastic job with remodeling rooms!

Thanks!
-Ken
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #2735
Burro driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday morning I was finishing up remodeling a house in Tulsa Oklahoma:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

And by evening was heading back through the Nebraska Sandhills ranch country with cattle grazing at sunset:

I didn't expect my lawn to revert to tall grass prairie in the two months since I last mowed it:

I may have to rethink the lawn mowing program while I head out to Oregon for the next few weeks. While I was gone for six months last winter the lawn didn't need mowing. Hmmmm. I think I need a summer lawn service.

Things are going well on the South America travel fund raising front. I have had good luck working, selling motorcycle parts and remodeling for paypal donations. It seems to be a winning combination so far. Still on track to head back to Medellin in October.

Best,
Juan Jardiner
Maybe you could leave your gate open and the neighbors cows will mow it for you!
Burro driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #2736
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
John,

If you don't mind me asking- What requirement did it take for you to be able to leave your bike in Colombia while you take a short break from the trip to recoup some $? I'm kinda curious what the process was. Sorry if it was already mentioned and I missed that.

By the way, fantastic job with remodeling rooms!

Thanks!
-Ken
Hi Ken,

My 90 day TVIP will be well expired by the time I get back to Colombia in the fall. There are always creative ways around these things. I'll let you know what I come up with. As you may have figured out by now, I make it up as I go along. I also seem to have a problem with authority. Worst case scenario I'll pay a fine or get the bike confiscated. It keeps life interesting. It's why having a small cheap expendable bike means less to worry about.

Saludos,
Juanito Bandito
Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #2737
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
If its a small yard and you dont mind dirt you could spray Pramitol on it or put it down in granular form .It advertizes about a 6 month to year kill but in reality it will kill every thing for about 3 months . I normally spray it with Glyphosphate (roundup) 2-4-D (buturac) for a full over the top kill and the pramitol gives it new growth suppression. I normally do this twice a year in spots I dont want green , once in april then again in july or so .

I used to be a cotton/peanut farmer and later a chem salesman .
Hi Hawk62cj5,

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably spray the area where I park and around the garage. I've never been away this long in the summer, so this is something I didn't anticipate. I try to keep my overhead as low as possible while off traveling by shutting off my utilities, but I still have to figure out the summer lawn thing.

Best,
Johnny Roundup
Old 07-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #2738
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 234
Eh Wot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotnext View Post
Hello John,

I know that its a little strange calling you by your first name. After all I have never even met you but I feel as if we are long time companions. Odd how this forum can develop something like that. I have followed you from the start of your trip and have been enchanted, informed and inspired. For me, "your job is done". On the 30th March 2014 I fly into the USA for a 2 year "Americas" trip on a minamalist budget.
Hola Tio:
Sorry to hijack or lojack your thread...Wotnext needs to add his ride report link to his reply so we can follow his hijinks or lojinks.....tile on...or ride on
Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #2739
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Agree, even if you're not poor this is a fantastic read, don't move or change anything, keep going and building your brand.
Hi tallguy,

Glad you are enjoying this story. I'll keep it up although I'm not much into branding. The only thing that gets branded around here are cattle. Although now that I think about it I could see searing a branding iron into my side covers. Maybe a Rocking Sherpa or a Lazy J.

I'm just an old guy riding around the world on a little bike trying to figure out how to do it on the cheap and stay out as long as I can and pass along any creative ideas I come up with.

Best,
Juanito Brando (Marlon's slow nephew)
Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #2740
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hola Tio:
Sorry to hijack or lojack your thread...Wotnext needs to add his ride report link to his reply so we can follow his hijinks or lojinks.....tile on...or ride on
Hi Scootard,

You can always jack this thread high or low. Especially while I'm out cleaning up my yard. Although Wotnext isn't leaving until next year, he is welcome to post a link to his upcoming ride report here when he takes off. I look forward to reading about his future minimalist adventures. It's the biggest reason I keep up this ride report on a regular basis. To give people ideas on how to hit the long road to far off places.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #2741
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Another week, another part of the country. This month I'm working in Oregon. Still earning bux for further South American adventures. Pulled my poor XR250 out of storage. 6 years of dust:

It's been sitting since I left Oregon in 2007. I'm almost back on a 250. Just a carb clean and new battery away from being back on two wheels. Can't wait. Gotta get back to servicing the bike.

Best,
Juan Exayeray Doscinquenta
Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #2742
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Heck yeah John, great looking 250...mucho glad to see you ready to ride again!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #2743
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Another week, another part of the country. This month I'm working in Oregon. Still earning bux for further South American adventures. Pulled my poor XR250 out of storage. 6 years of dust:

It's been sitting since I left Oregon in 2007. I'm almost back on a 250. Just a carb clean and new battery away from being back on two wheels. Can't wait. Gotta get back to servicing the bike.

Best,
Juan Exayeray Doscinquenta
Can you give us some details on that diamond plate fender?

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #2744
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Can you give us some details on that diamond plate fender?

Hi veriest1,

I just bought some aluminum diamond plate at Home Depot, cut it to size, bent it in a vice and bolted it to the weeny stock rear rack. Put some tie downs on it. It gives a little more flat space rearward to throw saddlebags over and strap down a duffle.

It's my other minimalist 250. It is great for cruising the logging roads and Oregon camping.

Saludos,
Juan Minimalista
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #2745
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Hi veriest1,

I just bought some aluminum diamond plate at Home Depot, cut it to size, bent it in a vice and bolted it to the weeny stock rear rack. Put some tie downs on it. It gives a little more flat space rearward to throw saddlebags over and strap down a duffle.

It's my other minimalist 250. It is great for cruising the logging roads and Oregon camping.

Saludos,
Juan Minimalista
Nice. I ask because it sorta reminded me of the flat bed truck look single seat BMW GS's have... and I just picked up a DR350 that needs some cheap luggage help. I've already melted some plastic. :(

veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote