Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #31
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 985
I just replaced mine last week at 22k miles. The chain has at the end of its life. The front sprocket was trashed and the rear wasn't bad considering. I ordered a kit from the Sprocket Center. After comparing the chains, the old chain was only about half a link longer. I've seen way worse.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #32
seandiddy
Psshhh, Yeah!

Oddometer: 20
so I was reading else wheres that a bunch of guys had run OEM chains on F800GS for 20-25k miles without doing anything to them the entire time. Their point was that constant cleaning potentially damages the rings and oiling healthy rings does nothing... thoughts?
seandiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #33
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,187
A rubbish 7,500mi/12,000km... too much mud/grit/cleaning cycles and ended up with several seized links... the new one will be neglected a bit more I think. Also worth noting I commute daily 2-up, and not gentle with the throttle, 2 more things that will reduce the life of the chain.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #34
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by seandiddy View Post
so I was reading else wheres that a bunch of guys had run OEM chains on F800GS for 20-25k miles without doing anything to them the entire time. Their point was that constant cleaning potentially damages the rings and oiling healthy rings does nothing... thoughts?
These were probably the same guys with every farkle known to man packed onto their bike for that round the world trip that will never happen. There was one at the shop today. Bike looked like it have never been in the grass let alone offroad. If I only rode on fair weather days and never went over 3500 RPM then I could see no maintenance ever. On the flip side, cleaning the chain every 300-500 miles is over kill IMO unless you are doing Dakar.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #35
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
These were probably the same guys with every farkle known to man packed onto their bike for that round the world trip that will never happen. There was one at the shop today. Bike looked like it have never been in the grass let alone offroad. If I only rode on fair weather days and never went over 3500 RPM then I could see no maintenance ever. On the flip side, cleaning the chain every 300-500 miles is over kill IMO unless you are doing Dakar.
+1 on that.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #36
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 95
Stock Chain

I have 2012 F800GS just replaced it at 29400 KM that's with 60% off road riding and fair to poor maintenance ordered every new from Sprocket Centre
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #37
seandiddy
Psshhh, Yeah!

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
hahahahah... yeah, they probably were. I agree, there probably is some merit to the idea of over-cleaning. Generally I'd just wipe mine off after a day in the dirt and they'd get some wax from time to time and I was getting the same kind of mileage that others are talking about (but, not 40k, holy cow!).
seandiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #38
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,655
In chains

On chain number 4 at 20,000 some odd kms. One replaced under the warranty program but old one was done. Get stuck in crud too often. On chain lasted about two weeks. Some sort of viscous swamp muck did it in after a few hundred meters of wheel spinning while it was buried. Luckily lots of bodies to push/pull as it was an organized group ride. New DID X-Ring is really holding up well.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #39
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Figures quoted are approx from memory. I put 25000km on the F8 and changed the front sprocket.

At 35000 I changed ratios on front, with the old sprocket showing minor wear.

At 50000 I changed the chain.

At 55000 the front got a ratio change, the old one starting to show terminal wear.

I bought a new rear. The old one is about 2/3 wear.

I ride 2 up, about half of the totals was on fire trails.

With my fire trail riding, the chain gets washed with degreaser and chain brush, then relube every 300km.

I went through about 12 large tins of chain lube. At an average price of $27 each.

Gone through about $100 in degreaser.

I get front sprockets for $30 and rear for $50. The chain cost $140.

It all starts to add up.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #40
FinStorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I changed chain and sprockets yesterday at 16200 km (10000 miles). For me this is normal for a cheap aftermarket chain, in this case it was the OEM chain. I have run 25000-30000 km on a good quality chain.
FinStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #41
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinStorm View Post
I changed chain and sprockets yesterday at 16200 km (10000 miles). For me this is normal for a cheap aftermarket chain, in this case it was the OEM chain. I have run 25000-30000 km on a good quality chain.
My OEM chain (called "cheap aftermarket in Finland, I guess) gave me an easy 40,000 kms service, still had life left in it.

If you are getting only 25,000 to 30,000kms on a quality chain you are behind the curve of the "cheap aftermarket". The original chain problem was fixed by mid-2009 build dates.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #42
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Depends on riding conditions. I have had sprockets on mainly-dirt bikes that passed through deep mud and dirty water daily, wear out in a few thousand miles. I have had chains on those same bikes that developed frozen links in the same intervals.

Chains & sprockets work as a set. Put a new chain on old sprockets and it will wear prematurely, same with new sprockets and an old chain. A chain as a whole will "stretch" but it's not the side plates that lengthen, it's that every one of the 120+ pins and holes will wear a little, causing the overall unit to stretch.

The front sprocket goes around so many more times than the rear, each tooth on the front goes through so many more cycles of the chain roller going on and off it, plus the chain is going through more bending as it goes around the front due to the tighter radius. On a lot of bikes the front is not so easy to see. I have had bikes where the rear sprocket looked fine but the front sprocket was in awful shape.

So check your front sprocket regularly!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #43
coaster94
n00b

Oddometer: 1
fwiw I got 15k miles out of my OEM chain and sprockets. Those miles were 80% interstate, 15% twisties, 5% gravelly fire roads. I did a good job with the maintenance, but not a great job. I prolly cleaned and lubed it every 1,500 miles, and I adjusted it about four times. I try really hard to be smooth on the throttle, and I like riding fast as much as the next guy. I am not disappointed in the life of these parts.

Doesn't it make sense that the majority of the wear should occur at the smaller sprocket? I mean the chain grips the rear sprocket with what like over 20 teeth, but the front sprocket only gets like 7! I will replace the chain and both sprockets, but I wonder if the wear on that rear sprocket is significant.
coaster94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #44
Goldfish_GR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I am reading the present thread with extra attention.
I am new owner of a F7. Had it since mid June and now we have 3.400kms together. Use (obviously) only in roads.

The first time i tried to clean it (around 1200kms), I used a simple degreaser couple of brushes and then I it with a Motorrex product. It took me lots of brushing and I am not sure that the linkages where clean after all that effort.

Then, the next time (2.200kms) I used kerosene and one wide paintbrush. Much less effort, enormously better result. I don't know if using kerosene is good for the orings though. Again lubed it with the Motorrex spray.

Last weekend (3.200kms) did exactly the same thing, cleaning also the front sprocket. I was amazed about the amount of dirt I found in there. From now on, cleaning the chain will mean cleaning the front sprocket also.

Question: Should I lube the chain in between the cleaning intervals? The lube I have is of white colour and seems to exist even at the end.
Goldfish_GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #45
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
27,500 miles

27,500 miles on Regina OEM chain on F650GS (twin). 95% pavement. It was well within spec length wise (144mm between 9 pins). Sprocket & chain ring looked great but it had the dreaded red rot: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988305 and was getting worse. Absent the rot I think chain, sprocket and ring had another 5,000 miles easy.

Lubed with DuPont Chainsaver at least every 400 miles and cleaned with Dupont Degreaser & grunge brush about every 1,500 miles. Think I'll use a softer brush in the future.

Don't see any damaged O rings so don't know where the rust started. Sprocket area had lots of red dust but cleaned up fine. I've had the sprocket off three times and lubed the splines so it came off easy.

Got a DID set from Sprocket Center in Cali - great service.

YMMV