Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
Have you had a chance to ride it yet? How do you like it?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #17
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Nothing personal, but I'm pretty sure I hate you.

Yep, just looked at the bike, I definitely don't like you.

BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Ya, I'm bringing an old thread to life again. I just came across a 2005 Beta 525 with 1,000 mile on it for $3,500. Sounds like a deal but is it? Thanks!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
DeadlyKave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
08 Beta 525RR

I'm buying a beta in 12 hours.. Have done a few research but want to hear inputs from people who ride them. What do you guys think?
DeadlyKave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #20
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
There is a Beta thread, a copy of mine.

2013 520 First Impressions

Almost a perfect day to ride in the desert, light rain keeping the dust away with no snowbirds blocking the trails looking at weeds and cacti before heading back to Canada, and no non-riders on their 25,000 dollar whore painted steroid Razrs with stereos and with out flags hogging the single tracks. If it wasnt for an hour of freezing pounding rain the day would of been a dream.
Still 90% of a great day is hard to beat especially, on a brand new bike.
The first thing I noticed from my old now converted dual sport XR 650 is that the 520 is very easy to toss around when avoiding those rim bender rocks on the trail. Sure the front end pops up on a whim and makes you want to ride a wheelie all day but just a good lean and your on the other side of the jeep trail avoiding a jarring rock. The hydraulic clutch was so much smoother than I could imagine. Two finger shifts were made possible on the enitre 75 mile ride if needed. The gear shift lever is positioned just right close to the case and not far out from it with only 2 missed shifts I blame entirely on my new Sidi boots. Once the boots are broken in completely I do not see that as a problem at all shifting up and down the gears. Going up and down the gears were quiet and smooth as butter, with no loud metal clanking noises.
As I wrote earlier I ordered the wide foot pegs and I am glad I did because standing up was made easy, securely and applying the rear brake was easy, even though the platform looks tiny and they do sell a larger pad, all my panic (oh shit) breaking was never missed. I ordered the fat boy rear springs and front according to my weight and it seemed to work with no problems. My riding partner who is a few pounds lighter than me bottomed out on his KTM bending his rear plate and my plate which hangs lower made it through unscratched on the same washouts at the same speeds.
The speed response from the throttle was quick and smooth with no hesitation or stalls. I was hinted at from others to remove the emissions but Dave at Get Dirty Dirt bikes said you do not really need to remove it because there is hardly any noteable difference. I took his advice and left it on and I have to say I am glad I did. I cant imagine it being any quicker. My riding partner stated it was smoother than the bike he was riding and he would not touch it either. So there, I am not removing it.
Todays ride consisted of dirt power line roads, slippery wet river rock single track, red caliche mud, old mining trails, flat desert roads, paved asphalt highway and sandy washes. The 520 took it all in style. The only dislike with the Beta it is true that at times it could be a little hard starting with the magic button when it is warm. If it sits for 10 to 15 minutes for a break it cranks right up. However on a 2 minute gate closer sometimes the starter has to work a bit. Harder than it should. I did not splurge on the upgraded battery but never the less it should start easier when hot. Next battery purchase will be a little better than stock. Any suggestions?
I did not go for a top speed run. I will wait until its a little more broken in. on the highway it ran smoothly at 65-70 with traffic, even though the Pirellis were howling against it. All in all the Beta is a great bike. Its easy to see why the Japanese are losing to the Euros on the dirt bike dept. The 520 is a great bike for the desert, I am glad I took the chance to be the first on my block to buy. It looks sharp and runs great. What more can a rider want?
Thank you Dave Turner again for helping me on this purchase and the bike set up.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote