Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
resthree OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Puke Need help buying first KLR 650! First bike ever.

I'm buying my first KLR650, and first bike, ever. I don't know anyone that can help me checkout a used bike, because I just moved to Vancouver, BC a year ago. My main goal is to travel and take weekend trips, but a reliable commuter is also important.

Does anyone have any advice for pricing, things to watch out for, should I just buy new?

Here's a link to one of the ones I am looking at. There's a lot of scratches, 3 previous owners, a worn out front wheel, and a brake level that was cosmetically damaged one of the times it was dropped.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...927711847.html

I would really appreciate the help since I'm just starting out!

Thanks,

Res
resthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
My best advice would be to have anything you want to purchase checked out by a reputable mechanic. A bike that shows a lot of wear usually is getting worn out and really isn't worth investing in. If you can, maybe save up a bit more coin and find a cleaner model.

The KLR 650 is a reliable scoot with a long pedigree and a good history of simple fixes to make it even more reliable. The problems as well as the solutions are well documented and really shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to fix up. Find a good one and it will last for years.

On the bike listed.....49000 kilometers isn't terribly high but I certainly wouldn't buy it. That's just me though.....I know it's kinda comparing apples to oranges but I bought my 2008 DR 650 with 4300 kilometers on the clock for 4300 bucks a couple of years ago. 3400 is a bit high for a high mileage KLR even with the farkles IMO.....
Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,852
08s

Were a bad year. Tended to be oil burners. 1st of a new model year. You'd be better off with an 07. Or jump to a 2010. OR better still, find yourself a Suzuki DR650 any year.
RED CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,449
As a current KLR owner, of a non-oil burning type, I will tell you a non-current Versys is in the same ballpark pricewise, give or take, and quite a bit more bike, you mentioned trips was why I said that.

Fuel injection and tubeless tires also part of the gain. Plus it's newer tech, by about 20 years...

Love my KLR, but a Versys would be nice as a Sunday driver/trip bike where you wanted to put a few miles on.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
too old for dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
+1 on 08 being oil burners. Sold one for just that reason. Stay away from 08 and 09!
too old for dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,351
Had 2 08s, one oil burner, rebuilt by Kawi on warranty, one that didn't use a drop. That bikes a crap shoot, too high of miles for me to consider. If you don't plan on any real back roads / trails consider the above inmates advice of the versys. Just picked one up for my SO and it's a great little bike with much better traveling manners than the KLRs.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
WHALENTJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I think a 685 kit will fix the oil pumping issue?
WHALENTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
For a first bike buying new with warrantee isn't a bad choice. The KLR650 or the Suzuki DR650 are both great bikes and similar and inexpensive new. Both of these bikes have a huge owner base/support group to help you get over the rough spots. I have had both bikes and both have their strong points and weak points. The KLR is better on the highway but not much else, the DR650 can do highway almost as well but is better elsewhere. The KLR has a bigger tank but it is easy to upgrade a DR tank. The list is endless.

I think the most importing point to make here is these bikes are (cheap) inexpensive bikes. This means that all components are not top quality units. Where people get into trouble with these bikes is trying to make them into something they are not and never will be. For example power, it is expensive (impossible ) to make real power with these bikes, just forget it and move on. Just consider them what they are, starter, cheap bikes and be happy. If you want to spend $2000 upgrading the suspension your wasting your dollars same thing with the brakes etc. Also a thumper is rough viboration etc. If you can live with that OK.

For a lot of people the KLR or DR are the hot item. Cheap to buy, good bike, easy to get parts for, lots of used parts out there, lots of owner support available, you can ride highway, or around the world, the list goes on. If you can only afford one bike and want to do a lot of things like gravel than one of these bikes is an excellent choice. There are other choices but these are good ones.

Good luck with your decision
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
WHALENTJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Xr650l ?
WHALENTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Timo Explorer
Trail Wizard

Oddometer: 258
Looks almost exactly like my '08, without the stickers gained by over 85,000km of trouble-free travel, on and off-road.
Yes you may have to change a few parts and definitely get it checked out by a reputable mechanic. The bike does have some mileage on it, so it may have some hidden maintenance issues.
Love my KLR, and would highly recommend it to anyone.
"You can't stay young, but you can stay immature." -- Red Green
"Never leave spontaneity to chance." -- Neil Peart
Timo Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
resthree OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Puke Updates

Thank you to everyone for their feedback. This is my first post and I appreciate all the responses.

2008 Oil Burner - that's a great thing to note. I've been searching on Craigslist for a long time and was wondering why 80-90% percent of the bikes for sale were the 2008 model.

Mercenary: Great advice. If I buy used ill be sure to swing over to the Kawasaki dealership in Burnaby to get it checked out beforehand!

Redcat: I don't know too much about the DR models. I'll check them out.

Jimmie A: I was debating to get a new bike for that very reason. Just want to make sure the budget works out for me is all. : )

Rob1313 and Unstable Rider: The Versys was an option too. Someone in my area has a really nice black and yellow one. I was sticking with the KLR for the times I really do get to travel for a week or two at a time. I don't want to be limited to the asphalt. Also, couldn't find too many places with an older model unfortunately.
resthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHALENTJ View Post
Xr650l ?
DAMN! You beat us DR650 fanboyz to the punch.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
If it's something you want, research the hell out of it. There's endless amounts of information on the web. Read read and read. And ask questions. Find someone you know that is knowledgeable with bikes who you can take with to go look at a prospect.
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #14
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
DAMN! You beat us DR650 fanboyz to the punch.
Au contraire, Kommando; check Post # 3 above!

About par, I'd say. Whenever a question regarding KLR acquisition appears, a counter-recommendaion for a DR typically appears within three posts.

XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote