XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:

The field trick is to shut off the gas, open the drain, let all the gas out, turn on the gas, flush the needle, then close the drain.

You can also drain the bowl, attach a clear line to the drain, raise it next to the carb, turn on the fuel, and check the level in the bowl. Level of fuel in the hose=level in the bowl.
  2. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    The real field trick is to bang on the carb with a hammer like tool not made for banging and get the needle to seat. Something that's on top of your tool kit and isn't long enough and pisses you off even more.
  3. scootergmc

scootergmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Smartphones or GPS. They're usually the handiest items. +1 for rubberized protector skins for peace of mind... :evil
  4. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    He said it was coming out of the bowl drain.:deal
  5. beechum1

Oddometer:
    And the overflow leads to the bowl drain.
  6. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't put on another 908 because I wanted to try the Metzler and then the Michelin Desert tires became available. I'm always looking for a better mouse trap. I did put a 908 on my Husky. I don't get as good of life from fronts as you do, I guess I brake too far into turns.

I am now running the Michelin Pilot 3's on my street bike. Been stellar so far. I ride the bike daily to work. 6K so far and I can just start to see a mild flat developing in center of rear.
  7. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    Overflow hose is on the side of the carb.....:wink:

B
  8. zulusafari

zulusafari Malta DualSport

Oddometer:
    I hav the 908 on my rear. I have been running it the whole time I've been in Africa. I have about 7,000 miles on it and I guess I'll take it off after about another 1,000 to put a 606 on for a few long trips I'm doing later. I've not had a single puncture on the 908. Is 7-8k miles a lot? Was it worth double or triple most other tires? I don't know since it was my first, but honestly have no complaints. But I don't really know any better. I do fear hating everything else I put on after though.

Has anyone used Goldentyre from Italy? Considering a set of those on my 'new' 1994 I just got last week. Going to rebuild it and replace a lot of parts. It only has 5,500 miles but looks like it's taken a handful of really hard spills.
  9. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Oh. Yeah. That.
  10. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    :lol3 sorry:wink:

B
  11. beechum1

Oddometer:
    been a while since I had the stocker. I thought all Keihn's ran out the drain hole for the overflow and drain.
  12. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    CV has the hose on bottom for drain,,,and hose off side for overflow,,they may join together just under the carb though,,,like you i can`t remember for sure...

B
  13. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Well that's cool that you discovered the benefits of the desert race tire. Actually, I normally try not to brake going into turns. I find a Zen effect in keeping a smooth, swift pace. I do know how to get carried away, though, :yikes and I do practice "panic stops" every now and then to try to stay in touch with reality.

But 6k on a rear streetbike tire? Wow! I haven't made it over 5k without the inner treads starting to show through. That's been on several Avon Azaros; perhaps this Michelin Anakee 3 will wear longer? I do use the engine to slow the bikes, downshifting at times; maybe that's why.
  14. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I got into a habit years ago of waiting 'till the motor got up to temp before getting on it hard to allow the tires to warm up. Colder out , motor takes longer and you've gone farther. My rear tires definitely last a little longer. Even my XR will spin a 160 Michelin Pilot Power on asphalt if less than 100 degrees.
  15. vector_dumb

vector_dumb Happier Here

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - I'm looking on xrsonly for a temp dipstick. The dipstick listed for the XR650L is out of stock, but the one listed for the XR650R is in stock.

Looking at the fische the dipstick part numbers are indeed different between the models. Can anybody confirm that the 'R' stick will or will not work?

Many thanks.
  16. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I f it would work , then why would they have two different ones?
  17. beechum1

Oddometer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Classi...r_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1373916523&sr=1-2

I put one of these in the stock dipstick, jbwelded the stem in place and haven't looked back. Many Many HARD miles.
  18. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
  19. beechum1

Oddometer:
    It keeps going.
  20. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Till it's cooler again?:rofl