Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Thanks. I will be more careful
Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #272
Jacan
Speedster

Oddometer: 10
I want more mods!!!

Guys, im in desperate need of mods, i cant wait any longer, i want to spend time on the bike!!!!!
Jacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #273
Jacan
Speedster

Short levers

Guys, i have been looking for short levers for my CRF230L with no success unless some from Australia, that the pair will cost me $40 including shipping.
Has anyone seen some in a USA Store?
I need them because my cheap hand guards interfere with the stock ones and they get stuck
Old 06-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #274
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacan View Post
Guys, i have been looking for short levers for my CRF230L with no success unless some from Australia, that the pair will cost me $40 including shipping.
Has anyone seen some in a USA Store?
I need them because my cheap hand guards interfere with the stock ones and they get stuck
I modified my stock levers by milling down the ball somewhat, and rotating the guards up just a tad from horizontal so that the lever doesn't touch the guard.

I put hand guards on my DRZ 5 years ago, and the guards interfered with the levers. I ddnt think too much about it. Several months later I riding to my office in traffic, the bike felt sluggish but I was just trying to get to work and all of a sudden the front wheel locked up and I did a stoppie. Scared the pajeezes out of me. The brake lever had got caught behind one of the mounting bolts when I rode over some bumps and was applying a tiny bit of pressure to the front brakes. As it heated up everything got tight and finally - wham! Lesson learned.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #275
Jacan
Speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
I modified my stock levers by milling down the ball somewhat, and rotating the guards up just a tad from horizontal so that the lever doesn't touch the guard.

I put hand guards on my DRZ 5 years ago, and the guards interfered with the levers. I ddnt think too much about it. Several months later I riding to my office in traffic, the bike felt sluggish but I was just trying to get to work and all of a sudden the front wheel locked up and I did a stoppie. Scared the pajeezes out of me. The brake lever had got caught behind one of the mounting bolts when I rode over some bumps and was applying a tiny bit of pressure to the front brakes. As it heated up everything got tight and finally - wham! Lesson learned.
Yeaa, i though of that but i prefer to find shortys, i read that they provide better feedback.
Wow, thanks that you cought that!!!!
My bike fell on to the floor during a trail ride, and since i have left some space between the mounting point and the guard mount, this forced the gard support inward and the clutch got stuck

Will continue to look for the shorties and if not i will do this

thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #276
230Pilot
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Finally bought bags and rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Pilot View Post
Thanks jsonder,

I am still really debating which rack to buy, I was really leaning towards the Cyclerack, but feel I will be tempted to overload it. I am thinking I should buy the honda rack and then the giant loop u shaped bags. What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
I'm impressed with the Great Basin bag that I bought for touring/camping. It would be used with my street bike, the '89 enduro.
Guys, thanks for all of the advice. I bought the Giantloop Coyote bags and used it on a 450km (280 mi) trip last weekend. I was on secondary roads, old rail bed trails and snowmobile trails in eastern Ontario. I went thru a lot of water and mud and was quite impressed with the way the bags kept things dry. My only concern about the bags is the placement of two clips that were digging into my butt. I think the designer could have thought that one thru a little better. I am going to modify it myself. I also installed the TCI front rack and Kolpin fuel tank. I just replaced the original tires which had 10000 km (6000 mi) on them. I decided to stick with the OEM Bridgestone TW27 and 30, these new tires really paid off in the mud.
I am 6ft, 215 lbs and this bike impresses me more and more every time I test it. I got into a few situations last weekend in deep water and mud where I had to get off the bike and I think a heavier bike would have been stuck for sure.
Again, thanks for the advice and safe riding.

230Pilot
230Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #277
SixtyAte
Daily Dirt Commuter

Oddometer: 92
52T sprocket

Alright so I put on the Sunstar 52T rear sprocket, oem front sprocket, and Renthal R1 114 link (I removed 6 links). If you ride off-road, and don't need to more than 60mph for an extended time I highly recommend it. I don't feel I lost any top end, although it is screaming at 65mph. It perked it right up, and gets to that 65mph very quick.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #278
Jacan
Speedster

PMR Rack review

Guys, I finally took the time to write the review of the PMR Rack.
Let me tell you that because of the comparison I made before ordering this, for the same price you have a solid rack with additional applications.
Here is the link for the Rack

http://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=27

Price is $ 78.99 + shipping
Before ordering contact Lee at via their email and mention ADVRider, he will take $5 off
( I have no affiliation with PMR Racks)

Let me start

First the rack comes very well packed in a box

The rack and a two bags with bolts

The Bolts:

The rack is very well welded and painted

The rack comes with holes to accept Rotopax Mount and its Givi compatible (as per the website, I have not tried this)
The holes may come in handy as im installing a pelican 1400 case next week
Instructions:

Remove all bolts indicated by pictures

Toolbox Bolt

Exhaust Bolt

Hold the exhaust bolt from inside

Remove the top bolts

Install the included spacers

And this is how it looks when installed

The rack is very solid , it installs in factory locations, there is no need for additional holes or any modification, and you can lift the bike from them once installed
I will add pictures of the pelican next week

Jacan screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 07:52 PM
Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #279
grnd0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I'm trying to find an extra set of wheels. Can't find
anything online. Anybody know where to look?
grnd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #280
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Thanks

Jacan, the installation pictures are 1st class
Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #281
Jacan
Speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Thanks

Jacan, the installation pictures are 1st class
Thanks tomorrow im posting pictures of my pelican 1400 case
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #282
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Anybody ride their 230l in water, if so how deep?
Thx
Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #283
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,348
Anybody had to tighten the steering head? My wife's 230 seems a bit loose and so I started tearing it apart yesterday. It seems that I need to remove the top triple clamp to reach the castle nut, but before I remove the instruments it seemed like a good idea to ask. What tool are you using for the castle nut?

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #284
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 691
Just got a 2014 CRF250L. Picking up the second one this week. One for me and one for the girly. Yay me!!! Looking forward to having fun and learning a bunch for the collective.
OEF 12
ivel_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #285
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Hi.

Hey guys. Another 230L owner here, picked up a used 2009 in Feb. I’m a street rider that wants to ride more dirt (dualsport trail riding), but we don’t’ have a lot of off-road areas very close, so I wanted something street legal. So far, the 230L is making a fantastic dualsport bike.

I’ve done a little bit of trail riding this year, and one overnight camping trip along the Blue Ridge Trail. Pics and a little trip report are here if anyone is interested. (Rode through mud puddles with water well over the pegs. Managed to dump and mostly submerge the bike in the muddy water. The Honda didn't care, started right up).

Mods so far:
  • Acerbis Rally Pro Handguards (had to cut down the levers to fit, just hacksawed off the ball end and filed the edges smooth, works great, and the guards have already saved my fingers)
  • Flatland Skid Plate (this is very nice, highly recommended)
  • Honda rear rack
  • Stock muffler. The bike came with an FMF on it, but it was annoyingly loud. Stock is much better for stealth. I bought a stock muffler off ebay and sold the FMF.
That’s probably all I’ll do for a bit.

I replaced the old battery with a Shorai lithium battery. Its bit more expensive, but completely awesome. We have three motorcycles with lithium batteries now, and we’re not going back. All new batteries will be lithium form now on.

Tires right now are IRC-GP1. They are great. DH also has them on his DRZ. I’ve never ridden on anything remotely knobby before, so my opinion is probably worthless, but I’m impressed with these tires. The road manners are great. I was still having a ball in the twisty stuff (limited by having skinny tires more than the 50-50 tread). The bike had street oriented 90-10 type tires on it when I bought it, and the improvement off-road with the GP-1s is night and day.

That’s all. Just wanted to heap some praise on a great little bike. I’m disappointed in the weight gain on the new CRF250L, I won’t be “upgrading.”

Here are some pics:

Am.E is online now   Reply With Quote