Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #616
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Ok so you are stuck in the gobi desert, some goat herder has an 08 motor and you refuse it until you can get it honed out and new rings on it?

Yer not in a position to be a "chooser" you need something that will go in, run decent so you can continue your adventure, if it needs a bit of oil ever few hundred miles then so be it, you save being picky when your sitting on the internet with the bike in the garage
I'd agree - if the price was right.

Everything I've heard from the two owners I've met with 2008's, and read about, was that they continue to run very well... they just burn oil. My co-worker eventually fought with Kawasaki and had new rings put into it, but then sold it to buy a Kawi Concours (which always thought I'd like to own... until I sat on his... I had ridden his KLR, and I think the 2008 KLR650 had things going for it that the Concours couldn't match for commuting and traveling).

I still think the KLR beats my DR for comfort on a stock bike, too... but my DR650 is lighter
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #617
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 705
Great ride report ....

There is a guy on this sight that does a Versys engine swap INTO a KLR chassis .... he has done 2 or 3 .... maybe he has the KLR motors still. he just finished one.

His name on here is KLRsys ... Maybe you can contact him for info on the old KLR motors.

Good Luck.

MKorn
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #618
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'd agree - if the price was right.

Everything I've heard from the two owners I've met with 2008's, and read about, was that they continue to run very well... they just burn oil. My co-worker eventually fought with Kawasaki and had new rings put into it, but then sold it to buy a Kawi Concours (which always thought I'd like to own... until I sat on his... I had ridden his KLR, and I think the 2008 KLR650 had things going for it that the Concours couldn't match for commuting and traveling).

I still think the KLR beats my DR for comfort on a stock bike, too... but my DR650 is lighter
I picked up an 08 for a crazy deal a little over a week ago, have 500 oil burning free miles on it so far, really not worried about it, I purchased it understanding that KLRs in general are known to go thru a bit, I just look at it like cars when I was a kid, had to actually check the oil and add some now and then, no biggy long as she runs good, hopefully she never uses any but thus is life.
I like the KLR better than the DR for a road bike for sure, especially with the fairing, I rode naked for over a decade and now Im a wind burnt sissy
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #619
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
http://www.salvagemotorcycleparts.ne...ers/california
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #620
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
I rode naked for over a decade and now Im a wind burnt sissy
Everytime I ride naked, someone calls the cops...
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #621
swifter78261
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks for the link, oldxr. I'm going to start combing through that list today when I get to Tahoe. With a little luck, maybe I'll come up with something good.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #622
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifter78261 View Post
Thanks for the link, oldxr. I'm going to start combing through that list today when I get to Tahoe. With a little luck, maybe I'll come up with something good.
I don't know if rancho cycle is on that list but I've had good luck with them in the past. They are on the outskirts if Sacramento.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #623
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Engine in SoCal

Hey Swifter,
I found an engine out of an 02 (asking $600). Not sure on the details but it might be worth a call.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3923341966.html

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #624
swifter78261
Adventurer

Yes! Thanks speedmonkey! I just wrote the guy inquiring about the nature of the damage. I can't really see in his pictures what's hurt on the engine. If its only cosmetic we could have a winner. Also still trying to figure out how interchangeable old/new KLR engines are Andrew much work would be required to make it work right. Someone posted on the last page about it, unfortunately it's a little over my head what it all means.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #625
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
I don't know if rancho cycle is on that list but I've had good luck with them in the past. They are on the outskirts if Sacramento.
Rancho may have something and just a couple hours from Tahoe. The place is HUGE! But you've got to really watch them ... and beat them hard on the price.

Does Dudes is dishonest down dere! (some really slip shod and DANGEROUS repairs done to bikes that come in as trash and end up LOOKING GOOD ... but really watch yourself. Prices are HIGH!)
But a KLR motor is either good or not, so not much risk there if its got clean oil in it. Hope something comes your way soon!
Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #626
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Rancho may have something and just a couple hours from Tahoe. The place is HUGE! But you've got to really watch them ... and beat them hard on the price.

Does Dudes is dishonest down dere! (some really slip shod and DANGEROUS repairs done to bikes that come in as trash and end up LOOKING GOOD ... but really watch yourself. Prices are HIGH!)
But a KLR motor is either good or not, so not much risk there if its got clean oil in it. Hope something comes your way soon!
Good luck!
Oh that's too bad it went that way there. I haven't been there in years, but they treated me well back in the day on parts for my MX bikes. I also searched most of California CL and Nevada for an engine and didn't see anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2

-XRman (fellow inmate)
Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #627
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Oh that's too bad it went that way there. I haven't been there in years, but they treated me well back in the day on parts for my MX bikes. I also searched most of California CL and Nevada for an engine and didn't see anything.
Truth be told ... I've not been in person in years either. You hear occasional "tales" but most of my riding buddies don't bother with them now ... as most can afford to buy new parts and good bikes.

But Rancho do perform a service and for many, it works out OK. But some ... not so much. Things like welded frames and swing arms ... and welded up motor mounts, poorly straightened forks are things NOOB riders may miss ... and sometimes are not fully disclosed. Most of the bikes I've seen at Rancho are "Salvage Title" bikes. But they DO have lots of good parts.
Hopefully some KLR stuff ... but I doubt it as they are very much sport bike
focused. ($$$$$$)

My suspicion is they do a brisk business buying up stolen pristine sport bike body work (and other untraceable parts) ... which the police don't track much. New body work on crashed GSXR can hide a lot.
This is just my opinion ... and I have NOTHING against Salvage yards ...other than 2 of my own bikes ended up there! (I was fully insured)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #628
swifter78261
Adventurer

Well guys,

Its been nearly a month since Chris and I have finished the Trans American Trail. Though we've been beset with mechanical issues infinitum, it /has/ been great spending time in California. It looks like Chris is getting movement on getting his bike repaired with a fresh new crank. Unfortunately for me, after ringing up all the scrap yards in California and spending an unhealthy time cruising the Craigslist/ADV/thumper/KLR classifieds, I haven't been able to find a new engine for my bike at a reasonable price. The last month at a stand-still has also been eating away my travel funds slowly but surely. Unless someone knows of a working KLR engine sitting in a garage somewhere in the greater middle-California area at a decent price, I think this may be the end of this motorcycle adventure for me. It's a sad thing to say, too. This trip was a year in the making and leaving my job for two wheels and a dirt road, getting to know Chris, spending life on the lam for two months - its been a fantastic thing. I've learned a little about motorcycles, a lot about the kindness of strangers, and a good deal about myself along the way.

I've still got travel spirit in me and a small bit of cash to do it with too, but I would hate to sit around waiting for an engine to appear and have one not come up and have watched my travel get whittled away. I'd rather get moving on a mountain climbing trip to Colorado that I have in mind if that's the case before the cash is completely gone I have to find a job.

This trip would have been impossible without support from ADV. Chris and I have been completely blown away by the level of support we've found here. No matter how far from civilization we got on the TAT, we never felt alone. I hope to meet you every single one of you for a cold one one day. Rounds are on me.

I understand Chris's moto-ventures are to continue for a bit, so stay tuned! Wish I could come.

Thanks again ladies, babies, mamas, papas, guys n gals, its been great.

Austin

P.s. but really, if anyone knows of a running KLR engine at a decent price in Cali, LET ME KNOW!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #629
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Im gonna get cabbage tossed at me but Im gonna go ahead and say it.
I have had a wonderful time just back packing around.
Catch a cheap flight to central America, wait for your partner, will be a shitload cheaper to hang out, hell maybe you can buy a cheap 250 to finish the journey together, we do not get these chances often in our lives, I have only regretted what I have not done.
One more thing, if you are dead set on a bike consider a side job, I do not know what central Cali is like for agriculture, but right now in the northwest Ranchers need people badly for irrgation pipe, haying ect.

Good luck whatever the case
and consider yourself blessed to have done what you have so far.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #630
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Good luck man!