ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #1771
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,397
10-4

We'll have to get out and slide some dirt turns soon.
AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #1772
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,276
I'd like that. Summer is boogy-ing on by and we've yet to do a "Chase Rich Around The NE 'Daks" ride.

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #1773
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,386
Laugh One of these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
I'd like that. Summer is boogy-ing on by and we've yet to do a "Chase Rich Around The NE 'Daks" ride.
On the blacktop!

I miss riding with you folks.

Its been a good summer and I HAVE been riding. Just not in the daks.

Chuck, I got your little buddy this weekend.

Same guy, just a little dressed up.

David
Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #1774
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
Hey Chuck,

I was just checking out the 'dak tag and noticed no more Italian seductress in your sig line...?
Quote:
I don't know yet. I've got a few ideas but first I need to let the dust settle and get a better grasp on my financial picture. I may well be a KLR guy...something about living within my means.
Hard to swallow, but my days of feeding cool Euro bikes may be behind me.

I can still shoot the twisties on a TKC shod KLR well enough to surprise myself! As you well know...it ain't the hardware!
Saw that too. The way it goes I suppose, eh?

Pheh... KLR's are tha shiznit anyway.

Hope you're well Chuck.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #1775
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Allright David!! Way to go man!!

Jon, I'm well, thanks...just tryin to keep my head out of the stew. And you're right: Nobody really NEEDS any more bike than this right here.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #1776
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Quote:

So true... We're in the heat of it now for sure.

"Chase Rich Around The NE 'Daks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
On the blacktop!

I miss riding with you folks.

Its been a good summer and I HAVE been riding. Just not in the daks.
David

Guys, either of the first two August weekends is open for me. David, I could have some paved ride arounds for the back road burner or bring the Versys and we can all ride together. I don't plan on any mud holes, bogs, just some good fun mixed surface riding. I might even go with the WR and sumo wheels with shinko 705's. The WR is a hoot and holds up well in mixed displacement rides.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #1777
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 434
There was enough gravel in the paved corners on Tooley Pond Rd from Twin Falls Club to Degrasse that we could have built another road through to Cranberry Lake. Too many cars going over the shoulders and spitting it up onto the pavement. That road is deteriorating so fast I hope they rip out all the tarmac and make it a gravel road sooner rather than later.

As far as paved twisties in that area with good road surface I would certainly recommend any of the following over Tooley Pond --- River Rd at the end of Tooley Pond Rd (watch out though, it's a 30mph speed limit that is more comfortable at 70mph...). Oswegatchie Trail Rd. from Star Lake back around to Rt3 in Oswegatchie is nice but turns to 35mph. Blanchard Hill Rd in Russell is 55mph and much better quality than either of the other two with good elevation changes and plenty of tight corners. On that note CR17 from Degrasse to Whippoorwill Corners (Wayside Tavern at CR24) is better than Tooley pond at this point.

Went to Russell first and jumped on Blanchard Hill got sick of the pavement pretty early on and turned to the back woods atv/snowmobile trails, mine roads and other gravel. Visited with family over by Star Lake for a bit then came back through River Rd and Tooley Pond, took trails through the woods from Degrasse back to Russell and then pavement back home.

Started making this map but then my arms fell asleep http://goo.gl/maps/lFlIG

Few highlights in no particular order

operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #1778
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post
There was enough gravel in the paved corners on Tooley Pond Rd from Twin Falls Club to Degrasse that we could have built another road through to Cranberry Lake. Too many cars going over the shoulders and spitting it up onto the pavement. That road is deteriorating so fast I hope they rip out all the tarmac and make it a gravel road sooner rather than later.

As far as paved twisties in that area with good road surface I would certainly recommend any of the following over Tooley Pond --- River Rd at the end of Tooley Pond Rd (watch out though, it's a 30mph speed limit that is more comfortable at 70mph...). Oswegatchie Trail Rd. from Star Lake back around to Rt3 in Oswegatchie is nice but turns to 35mph. Blanchard Hill Rd in Russell is 55mph and much better quality than either of the other two with good elevation changes and plenty of tight corners. On that note CR17 from Degrasse to Whippoorwill Corners (Wayside Tavern at CR24) is better than Tooley pond at this point.

Went to Russell first and jumped on Blanchard Hill got sick of the pavement pretty early on and turned to the back woods atv/snowmobile trails, mine roads and other gravel. Visited with family over by Star Lake for a bit then came back through River Rd and Tooley Pond, took trails through the woods from Degrasse back to Russell and then pavement back home.

Few highlights in no particular order
Wow, those are some great photos and that area looks like loads of fun.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #1779
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,655
Do I see sand?

A rocky quad track?

I have been out once so far- in May. Worst year ever so far, riding-wise.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #1780
operose
Mama tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_Driftwood View Post
Wow, those are some great photos and that area looks like loads of fun.
Thanks, definitely a lot of fun. Only covered about 150 miles but it was so hot I drank a full camelback and a $1 2L of stewart's cola. Rest of the pics are here: http://imgur.com/a/xlTHc somehow got a little out of order during upload though, the first few should be at the end. All that stuff on the car trunk is stuff that came back with me from the journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave
Do I see sand?

A rocky quad track?

I have been out once so far- in May. Worst year ever so far, riding-wise.
That "sand" is actually a giant man-made desert. It's a mine tailings pile from the old Jones&Laughlin/Benson Mines iron mine. From what I can tell they had giant conveyors taking the tailings across CR60 to dump them in this giant pile. These appear to have been the support structures:

The "rocky quad track" is actually Mackin Rd. in South Russell. It runs from CR17 over to Boyd Pond Rd which connects to Blanchard Hill Rd. That is just a sample. There is a quad track/snowmobile trail that goes from the beach in Newton Falls to the back side of the mine tailings pile that is seriously intense. There was one mud hole that had ATV body panels floating in it!!!

Good ride for sure, come on up some time and make your riding year better :)
Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #1781
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

oh yeah...we need to hook up!

Old 07-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #1782
jontow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I was watching my oldest daughter and sweating myself a bit lighter, but I'm seriously intent on hitting up a few of these roads in the next 2 weekends: first few weekends in august is burned for me already on some MSF ridercoach training related events, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let the summer slip away without heading in this direction again. We did it last year, made a looonnggg loop out of it on the TW200s, and I'll do it again, too..

Would be glad to have some company, as I'm sure operose would, too. We tend to not have schedules that line up so well these days, but when they do it ends up being a blast.
jontow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #1783
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,655
Operose, Good god, that's like 3 hrs away.

I fall asleep just driving back from tug hill!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #1784
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Nice operose. Looks like good times. I like the GPS tracking of your fun at the tailings area. Also, noted what looks like and old linear dumping of tailings, now covered in green, that goes across the lake.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #1785
operose
Mama tried

Hahahaha those are not GPS tracks, I made that map at work this morning with google maps!!

This year all my trips have been without maps compasses or GPS except when jontow and I went through long pond with snowmobile trail maps ziptied to the handlebars.

A little research beforehand is cool but fun roads distract me and never end up following planned route 100%. More about exploring even in areas I think I "know" like this one :)