Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Barbadi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Considering a Husqvarna Terra, should I?

I mean the are on special offer before the company passes to KTM totally and they are probably going to be out of production next year.

I currenty own a ΒΜW F 650 GS Twin and I thing about going to a cheaper newer, lighter bike.

What I want to hear is if this Terra bike has any problems, maufacturing flaws etc etc.

Please give me facts not hearsay, or your brand oriented religious beliefs.

Thank you.
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Terra

For sure it seems to be a one year run. Now I have a Strada...so maybe my view is clouded...but I'm very glad I bought before the change. I read the net too and might have bought into all the bad and missed a really strong bike at a great value IMHO even at retail.

Most Adv. Riders seem to buy a new bike and avoid the dealer at all cost except for major warranty repair....wrenching themselves mostly. If that's you then buy and don't worry. It's a Rotax that's used in other models and parts I believe will be around for awhile...it's pretty strong anyhow.

The Moss tool used to tune is already at BMW dealers so I reckon they can always tune/repair for a fee of course even if not a H dealer. I've wasted more $ on mods for other brands than retail new for the TR. I have several bikes in my stable right now and it is currently a favorite. It'll do slab or chug slow...and seems to like both equally.

It does seem that most suffer from a overly lean condition that a booster plug or one of the other similar devices fixes quite nicely. It sure worked on my TR.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
2wheeldeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I'm in the same struggle and have done lots of research. I have a super reliable vstrom and have put 82,000 miles on it so i am in with a bike for the long run. I am ready for something lighter and easier to work on myself and the strada sure appeals to me. Not a lot of bikes tall enough with abs for me. I will be watching this thread as I am ready to get one as soon as my vstrom sells.
deb
2wheeldeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,680
The first question is, can you find one to buy? There may be a boat load of them out there some where, but apparently my dealer does not think so, because he is sold out and offered to sell his demonstrator, seeing no further use for it. So I took a test ride with every intention of buying.

The positives were, you will never find a smoother engine. It rivals multi cylinder bikes. Once underway, it feels much lighter than its 400lbs. I had no wind to fight, the bike was very stable, up to the 85mph I rode it. There is very little windblast even without a wind screen. The suspension felt supple yet in control. Pavement is not the best place to test that, but it felt very good.

The bike I rode had been geared down one tooth on the countershaft sprocket, so I expected more oomph at lower rpms. In that respect I was disappointed. Only above 5,000rpm did I get the power everyone talks about. Even with the gear reduction, the bike is still below its best power at normal highway speeds. Look at a Dyno chart, it confirms what I thought.

The bike had a stumble taking off from a stop in first gear. It felt a little flat in the first 3 gears at low rpm. A session on the Moss unit may cure that. It had all the symptoms of lean fueling at low rpm. There is no doubt in my mind that a fuel module like a Booster Plug or the Wuki would cure that. It does on my F800gs.

This bike would be number 3 for me, bringing a lot of pressure to bear to get rid of one. Which of the two is a candidate to go? My F800 used as a road bike is much better. There are good things about the extra 100lb it carries on pavement. Having lots of midrange torque is a benefit too. The same will apply to a Wee Strom.

My KLX 680cc bike is where I had the rub. It is no slouch in the power department and it is geared to take advantage of what it has at normal riding speeds. There is no need to go 110mph, which the Terra is capable of doing.

I did not buy the Terra after the test ride. That decision is still under consideration, both with my wife and the dealer.

If I had/did, the first thing to buy would have been a Wuki and I think it still needs further gear reduction. Then maybe some of its power would be evident at normal riding speeds. Its there.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 11:33 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Barbadi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the swift responses.

Down here in Greece there is a "spesial" offer on them.
I could get an Terra Abs with hand guards and alarm for around 5800 euros and a 2 year factory garranty. With a little bit of luck I could even exchange my ride and a small amount of cash for it. But what a garranty is good for if a companhy seize to exist? Theri is not even a Husqvarna representative down here! Just a shop -small one- that sells them.

Anyway, the economy crisis is hitting me hard and I thought that it may be a good opportunity to renew my ride with something cheaper to get and sustain and with better klm range per littre than my twin. And better dirt riding ability.

I know the terra abs is the old unit, and that it has no wind coverage what so ever and the absence of the preload adjuster is a bummer.

But my main fear is that I might end up with a malfunctioning bike, with no factory support and that no one has and noone knows anything about it.

After all its an Italian built bike -on its first year out in the market, creepy stories have been heard about the kind- with a beefed up Chinese motor (Loncin), bought by Indians or something that probably want to kill it anyway.

Is it worth the risk?

On the other hand my twin has 38000 klms on it, it will soon need service and tires. The tire issue is killing me as I need one pair for both street and mild off road use and I can't seem to find such a think. Anakee II was a disapointment, so BWs and from what I read the heidis will die too soon and wont cut it on the wet.

On top of that the economy crisis has made long distance traveling a story of the past, so the 72 horsepower is a luxury. And if I crash my twin plastics in the dirt I won't be able to fix it.

On top of that the Terra thread is too big to search it all for all the problems the bike has as birth flaws.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,680
I can't answer all those questions, but I have some experience with an orphan bike.

The only problems I have read about, deal with some broken plastic issues. The basic Loncin engine is and has been used in BMW 650 bikes.

Maintenance parts will be the same and not a problem. Only some catastrophic engine or electrical meltdown will be a problem. Not many, if any problems have come up regarding the Loncin engine, but the ECU is different than the BMW versions.

Kawasaki made good on supplying parts for my KLX for a long time. Production ended 17 years ago. Maintenance parts are still available, but I am one spun cam bearing from owning a parts bike. But the model was not bought by a competitor.

Stephan has promised parts for the Husqvarna's, for 10 years. The factory for shipping parts is in Northern Italy. A lot closer to you than us. Beside his promise, I think he has another reason to keep his word. He is not going want to piss off existing Husqvarna owners, because they will be potential buyers of KTM designed versions down the road.

Tough call for you, happy shopping
Old 07-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Some small husky dealers are sending back the MOSS (computer hook-up) unit as they can't afford to keep the $7500 unit for the couple of bikes they sold.

If you have a local BMW dealer they may or may not service the Huskies - I bet they won't.

If anything breaks associated with the ECU, which includes the turn signal electronics, look to having the bike likely sit for a while - a big while.

Bah, I bought my Terra, loved to ride it, but just sold it because "right now" there aren't any dealers in my area to deal with the electronics or replacement parts issues. What good is a reliable Rotax when your computer locks down the bike (EWS)? What good does it do to be a great mechanic when a turn signal electronics malfunction happens and you need to replace the entire computer, which right now you can't get (one guy still waiting week 5). I'm probably going to get a KTM 690 enduro r as I ride more off-road anyways. Or dammit, I'll have to upgrade a Jap bike. At least they don't need special treatment from the manufacturer (never had one in a shop in my life).

I've never seen anything as weird as these euro computers - and a dang computer-chip key?

Yes, I lost some money, but I had lost confidence in the whole Husky-KTM buyout scenario.

Good thing I kept my WRR, LOL.

PS - there really aren't any reported flaws to the Terra itself, other than some being a little too lean running off of idle...which is fixable with $75.00 (US) plug-in aftermarket module. My bike didn't need it, and ran perfectly. The bike itself is great, IMO.

kawagumby screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 04:01 PM
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Barbadi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you my friend

I didn't know this bike was also -as my current one was so totally wired up to the electronics.