Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
philthyphil OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 78
Montana maps question...

Does anybody know:

What brand SD card(s) does the Montana read? Read a couple threads talking about some not working.

What size SD card do you need to hold city nav and a couple regions of 24k maps? I'm referring to the ability to load multiple map downloads for the Garmin disks onto a store bought SD card.

Does city nav really cover all road paved and unpaved?

How is city nav different from 100k maps? I really don't need/want turn by turn directions, just as many roads as possible, of all types.

If I already loaded the rocky mtn 24k CD onto my Montana, can I still load it onto a SD or is it locked from being loaded onto another "device"?

Thanks for helping a noob but there is a lot of info out there and I got many other questions answered but these or what remain for me... For now.

WTB - RED 1ST GEN KLR GAS TANK

philthyphil screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 07:07 PM
philthyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I pick up my SD cards from Costco. They sell the Sandisk Ultra Class10 cards for a very good price. Any major name brand Class10 card should be sufficient. I'm sure you could sneak by with a lower class, or no-name card, but honestly why bother? I picked up a 32gb Sandisk Ultra Class10 for $22.

I picked up a 32gb card with the intentions of loading the US Topo24k on there. Learned pretty quickly that you can only load 4000 "map segments" on there. So i'm sure I could have easily gotten by with a 16gb card.

I also loaded the CNNA on there, and its pretty good. Seems to cover the on-road stuff, but not much of the off road.

One tip i'd suggest, only enable CNNA or Topo maps, dont have both enabled at the same time. It can cause some issues with displaying the right maps. With the montana you can create profiles, so you can have an offroad and a onroad profile. You can link the onroad profile with the CNNA, and the offroad with the Topo.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
philthyphil OP
Nomad

Ok, for city nav, I guess what I meant by offroad is really just dirt roads. I live in NY now so I don't mean the Colorado type dirt roads where I used to live. Because it's the only litmus I have as city nav as good or better (more detailed/roads) than google maps??? How does it compare to the US 100k maps?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,037
Dirt Roads

I use citynav with basecamp for Mac. Yes it has dirt roads. You have to zoom to .2 mile to get the smaller ones to show on the map. I've ridden thousands of miles of dirt roads all over the west and never had one not show on citynav NA. I've even made my own tracks on basecamp and then transferred them to my GPS. Then I went out and rode the tracks and the roads were all where they should be.

I'd say the maps are better than google maps.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
I have also ridden thousands of miles in the west and agree CN is excellent. My success rate is more like 99%. I do sometimes find roads on Topo 100k that are not in City Nav and vice versa. So I use both for
trip planning. And I also use Topo 24k sometimes.

Using Mapsource on a PC I see CN minor roads at 1 mile zoom with detail set to highest. On my Montana I see then at .8 mi. And in Basecamp I see them at maybe 3 miles - anyway a lot better than Mapsource.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I use citynav with basecamp for Mac. Yes it has dirt roads. You have to zoom to .2 mile to get the smaller ones to show on the map.
You can get minor road detail UP TO .8 mile
Use "Most Detail" under advanced settings.

rwamf homepage

rwamf screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 10:21 AM
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I use citynav with basecamp for Mac. Yes it has dirt roads. You have to zoom to .2 mile to get the smaller ones to show on the map. I've ridden thousands of miles of dirt roads all over the west and never had one not show on citynav NA. I've even made my own tracks on basecamp and then transferred them to my GPS. Then I went out and rode the tracks and the roads were all where they should be.

I'd say the maps are better than google maps.
Apparently they do a better job with the maps out west then they down south. I come across plenty of roads that don't show up on the map, and much worse, I come across NO roads where the map shows them. The second gets to be quite friggen annoying when you have to redo your route on the fly because the road you planned your route across just ain't there.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #8
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Apparently they do a better job with the maps out west then they down south. I come across plenty of roads that don't show up on the map, and much worse, I come across NO roads where the map shows them. The second gets to be quite friggen annoying when you have to redo your route on the fly because the road you planned your route across just ain't there.
You could be right. There aren't many roads out west, so maybe they are easier to map. Big open spaces and great distances between population centers. I've never not found a road, though.

The CDR is a good example. some 2000 miles of linking farm and forest roads. The 'Forever West' tracks are another example. I bought the latter. Probably the only problem I've had is a) zooming out to high a scale following tracks, causing me to miss turns and b) having the targeted road be tough because of washouts from earlier weather.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:28 AM   #9
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

My CN map came. It was in the form of a SD microchip. I loaded into the Montana and connected the device to Basecamp on my mac. It took about 10 minutes for Basecamp to read the map, and when it was done, it switched to the new CN as a map. Pretty slick. All of North America is on that card. My old Csx required me to send maps from my Mac because it wouldn't hold the whole continent.

Anyway, I rode a few local routes yesterday and it worked well.

$45 from Amazon.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #10
philthyphil OP
Nomad

Albie, where are you that you experienced this? I'm in NY now but looks like my next stop is VA. Have you been able to check the 100k maps with any better luck?

Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Arkansas. We have thousands of FS roads, and county roads that are all unpaved down here. WHat's really funny, my ancient copy of Roads and Rec shows a lot of the roads that the latest version of City Nav doesn't.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Arkansas. We have thousands of FS roads, and county roads that are all unpaved down here. WHat's really funny, my ancient copy of Roads and Rec shows a lot of the roads that the latest version of City Nav doesn't.
Because who in their right mind would want to drive a dirt road. There is nothing to do out there where dirt roads are. No malls or cinemas are out on dirt roads. Clubs even.

Basically, catering to the lowest common denominator.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyphil View Post
Albie, where are you that you experienced this? I'm in NY now but looks like my next stop is VA. Have you been able to check the 100k maps with any better luck?
Oh, and the 100K does show some roads that CN doesn't.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Because who in their right mind would want to drive a dirt road. There is nothing to do out there where dirt roads are. No malls or cinemas are out on dirt roads. Clubs even.

Basically, catering to the lowest common denominator.
Not a matter of where people drive, it's a matter of accuracy.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,100
My opinion is that mapmakers are cooperating with the Forest Service plan to decommission many roads. I was out recently and found that the older the map, the more accurate the roads. This applied to both paper and electronic mapping.

I also noted on one of the newest paper maps from National Geographic that they had made a couple of mistakes in "erasing" old roads, leaving a tiny fragment left hanging in what otherwise appeared to be a roadless section. While in that section using an old version of Garmin Topo, we found the complete road and navigated using that. The same road partially appeared on a slightly older Green Trails map.

Could be I'm wrong, of course. Certainly added to the adventure.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote