Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #151
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
I have a couple thousand miles on my Anakee IIIs. I've read some not so good reviews but I love mine. Great for road and decent off road which is what I expected. They suck on long wet grass though but pretty much anything does.

The only complaint I have seen is noise, a few wanted them to be a road race tire/mud bog knobby rolled in to one, but I discount them.

Agree for a 90/10 tire they are great on the road and stick very well in the twisties, and rain, but if you are doing anything tougher than good hard pack on a regular basis, probably not the right choice. As far as noise, I wear ear plugs. I am impressed with the wear!

They will be my tire of choice until I find something better.
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #152
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I just put a set of Anakee 3s on my 800XC. These tires are LOUD at 55 - 60MPH. On my first ride it sounded like a turbine was spinning up around 50MPH and the sound just got louder and louder up to 58MPH and then slowly subsided. Wow.

I wear ear plugs all of the time and they did not help. The volume has decreased somewhat with more wear but my guess is that they will always make some noise. I should have gotten another set of the Scorpions.

I've been a big Michelin tire fan for my cars and bikes but these do not make the grade. I hope they wear out quick!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #153
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post
I just put a set of Anakee 3s on my 800XC. These tires are LOUD at 55 - 60MPH. On my first ride it sounded like a turbine was spinning up around 50MPH and the sound just got louder and louder up to 58MPH and then slowly subsided. Wow.

I wear ear plugs all of the time and they did not help. The volume has decreased somewhat with more wear but my guess is that they will always make some noise. I should have gotten another set of the Scorpions.

I've been a big Michelin tire fan for my cars and bikes but these do not make the grade. I hope they wear out quick!
Hmmm, this is odd. I just put a rear Anakee 3 on 1200 hundred miles or so ago , coming from Scorpions. I haven't noticed any increase in sound. Haven't done the front one yet though. Think the front makes that much difference?
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #154
ThorRex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Anakee III Wild

anybody know when the Wild is to be available? Michelin is giving me the run around, don't blame them I suppose. would like to try them to compare to TKC80...
ThorRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #155
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Think the front makes that much difference?
It's possible. My front is a 90/90-21 which is a bias-ply. I can't locate where the sound is coming from though. Maybe some other 800XC owners will chime in.

I've owned several motorcycles in my time and have never experienced anything like the sound from these tires.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #156
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
It's possible. My front is a 90/90-21 which is a bias-ply. I can't locate where the sound is coming from though. Maybe some other 800XC owners will chime in.

I've owned several motorcycles in my time and have never experienced anything like the sound from these tires.
I've got a couple thousand kms on mine and haven't noticed any difference in noise from the OEM Battlewings. I'll try to listen more carefully on the way to work tomorrow. Wonder if it's just your road surface? Are you on asphalt or that lovely concrete stuff your highway dept is fond of using.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #157
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I've got a couple thousand kms on mine and haven't noticed any difference in noise from the OEM Battlewings. I'll try to listen more carefully on the way to work tomorrow. Wonder if it's just your road surface? Are you on asphalt or that lovely concrete stuff your highway dept is fond of using.
I've been on several types of road surfaces and it seems the same. I don't hear it when I ride in the dirt. ;)
Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #158
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:

Same size as the front on my GS. When I get around to replacing the front, I'll post back.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #159
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Anakee 3 Noise

I just put about 500 miles on mine. They seem to handle twisties great. Dry road grip is excellent. No rain or wet roads yet (which is wierd for Western Washington). The noise is definitely noticeable. In fact when I first ran them I thought my rear bearings were going out, but then figured out it was the tires. With ear plugs it isn't too bad.

Wear seems really good. After 500 miles there is no visible wear and even some of the little rubber nipples from the mold are still present even in the center, which makes me think the compound will hold up well.

Overall I would say I am satisfied so far. Will report back after running them to Alaska and back. That should give experience on wet, dry, gravel and mild mud, as well as wear over time.

Paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #160
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Same here with the noise. I went from Tourances and the Anakeee III seem much quieter.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #161
tagentry
Northwest Silverback

Oddometer: 24
Mine look like this now after 8500 miles. How many more mile have you gotten out of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyvt View Post
Copied my post from the S10 Forum.

I just managed to take pictures of my tires. The Anakees shown have 6k on them. We just got back from the MotoGP in Austin by way of NJ, PA, MD, WV, VA, NC, SC, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, OK, AR, MO, IL, KY, VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ. :)) The bike was loaded heavy for all of the miles ridden. Both panniers, a top box and a dry bag on the passenger seat were all full and definetaly overweight.

Impressions...

On road these tires feel much better than the Anakee 2s. Cornering at high speed in twisties is excellent. We were riding fast enough to feather the edges of the tires and at no point did it feel unstable. On the highway the tires are definitely a nicer ride. Rain performance was also excellent as I got caught in what I would consider "monsoon" weather. I also rode ~70 miles of dirt and gravel roads and they performed with no issues.

The tires look like they have a lot of miles left but only time will tell..

The front tire looks much more worn than the rear.

Rear.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
tagentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #162
swampyvt
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I had to be off the bike for the past few months :-( I currently have 7200 on them and they still are going strong.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4
swampyvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #163
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
I just spooned on a pair about 800 miles ago.

So far they seem pretty good.

The turn-in is actually slower than most Michelins I have owned, but a bit more effort and we are rocking along.

Swampy and I went for a ride today and did about as much dirt as one can do in North NJ.

I was quite impressed with the A3s. They had more than acceptable grip on dirt, gravel and even did ok on some loose rock on a hill. Is it a knobby? HECK no! However, I was darn impressed for an 80/20.

ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #164
Clayburn
Benjamun

Oddometer: 46
5,500 miles on my A3's (2009 R1200GS) showing little wear and quiet enough for me.
Clayburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #165
tagentry
Northwest Silverback

Oddometer: 24
My rear is squared, but still looks like it has plenty to go. I just ordered another front as I only have a mm before the wear bars and have another 3k+ mile trip coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm sticking with these.
tagentry is offline   Reply With Quote