ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
BMacW650 OP

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I actually got rid of the HID's on my S4 and went to H7 projector e-codes for that reason. Plenty bright and a more diffuse/broad pattern to see with.
Again, the quality of light has more to do with the projector lens or reflector design. Overall if you have quality lamp design, HID bulb will be brighter than the halogen bulb. I've see all them in person, and I wouldn't understand why anyone, given the option, would not pick the brighter setup.

Have better visibility without adding crash prone auxiliary lights is a huge plus for adventure bikes. I do lots of highway riding at night. The difference is quite dramatic especially for spotting deers..
BMacW650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Because when your lights are too bright than they can limit your ability to see outside the lit up area. I do a lot of night wheeling in my Jeep and have lights underneath the rig to help see whats going on around and below the rig. If those light are too bright you can't see anything beyond the light worth a damn.

I've had to do many hours driving with just black out lights and moon light for the military and you would be amazed at how well you can see with little to no light. That's w/o NVG's too btw.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
Because when your lights are too bright than they can limit your ability to see outside the lit up area. I do a lot of night wheeling in my Jeep and have lights underneath the rig to help see whats going on around and below the rig. If those light are too bright you can't see anything beyond the light worth a damn.

I've had to do many hours driving with just black out lights and moon light for the military and you would be amazed at how well you can see with little to no light. That's w/o NVG's too btw.
Obviously this thing is highly subject, and I think it's safe to say you are in the minority. Given most vehicles these days will offer HID or LED option and most people running rally uses LED/HID.

I have many types of projectors from Hella and have tested them in person, this setup works for me and if you look at other people's experience it's quite consistant. I'm just here to get a few people to help me pay for the tooling.

Please help me keep my original goal in focus. We can start another thread about how lights can be too bright. Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
I wasn't trying turn it into a debate. I am interested in your setup I was just curious about getting the low beam as a projector instead of an HID.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
I wasn't trying turn it into a debate. I am interested in your setup I was just curious about getting the low beam as a projector instead of an HID.
You can actually mount whatever you want to the low beam section.

Both the 90mm and 60mm low beam from Hella are projectors. They all come with halogen bulbs. I just replace the low beam projector's bulb with a HID bulb. I dont really understand what you mean by projector vs hid.

That said it will be about $40 cheaper (pure cost based) to just use the halogen bulb. The wiring harness was setup to use separate relates anyways and can still be plugged right into the halogen lamp.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
I'd be interested too. Do you think a headlight shield would be possible?
Dirt accumulates pretty quickly offroad
Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #22
ride-for-life
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
I would be interested in one of these set ups, feel free too pm me when you have a final price, as asked above a light guard would go well with the package.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #23
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Pix?

Any chance of seeing beam pattern photos? I have asked this of TT rally screen owners and haven't seen any so far. A comparison with stock would be nice (though unless you have a friend nearby with the stock headlight I know that is asking a lot)....(come to think of it, is there anybody out there who still has stock lights... Maybe one or two who never ride at night...)

RoundOz screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 05:15 AM
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
I'd be interested too. Do you think a headlight shield would be possible?
Dirt accumulates pretty quickly offroad
My plan is to use what Lynx fairings have, thick lens sticker.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #25
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Any chance of seeing beam pattern photos? I have asked this of TT rally screen owners and haven't seen any so far. A comparison with stock would be nice (though unless you have a friend nearby with the stock headlight I know that is asking a lot)....(come to think of it, is there anybody out there who still has stock lights... Maybe one or two who never ride at night...)
I was going to do that yesterday, but it started raining.

It's actually quite easy for me to do, because I have a spare lithium battery.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #26
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
My plan is to use what Lynx fairings have, thick lens sticker.
Yes that works well for impact protection but not so easy for the mud build up.
I had a lynx setup for my te610 and it was a bit difficult at the end of the day when it was all dried up on a multiple day ride. Just my 2 cents.

I'm still very interested
Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #27
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Yes that works well for impact protection but not so easy for the mud build up.
I had a lynx setup for my te610 and it was a bit difficult at the end of the day when it was all dried up on a multiple day ride. Just my 2 cents.

I'm still very interested
I totally understand what you are saying. But I'm a shallow guy, I don't like the look of a separately clear plastic cover.

My other plan was to make a polycarbonate cylinder that press fits into the face plate. Imagine a clear cap that goes into the plastic shield right in front of the lamps.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #28
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
I totally understand what you are saying. But I'm a shallow guy, I don't like the look of a separately clear plastic cover.

My other plan was to make a polycarbonate cylinder that press fits into the face plate. Imagine a clear cap that goes into the plastic shield right in front of the lamps.
I agree with you, the cover would stand out. Unless the actual head mask had a recess. Lots more work.

The clear cap would be a great option! It would have to have a perfect fit to avoid water build up inside. But given your skills, that should not be an issue.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #29
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
I was going to do that yesterday, but it started raining.

It's actually quite easy for me to do, because I have a spare lithium battery.
Obviously the brightness comparison would be fairer if the alternator is not running, so the volts are about the same, but I guess I am more interested in the shape of the beam anyway.
I found my Morimoto projector puts too much light near the bike for my liking for highway use (though not as badly as the HID-in-OEM reflector setup I changed from). This is something that car drivers would not notice so much, typically having a hood that shields their eyes from this glare, but from my point of view the idea of a projector is to put light only where you want it and not waste lumens, and the glare doesnt help night vision, especially above that sharp cutoff. Yes, I am hard to please!
This light spill might be okay for offroad use where seeing close to the bike while standing would be an advantage, but I havent night-offroaded this current setup yet and I figure I would be using my Rigids in that situation -while they throw a lot of light down the road, they also spill onto the foreground just because that is what LEDs do.
Sorry for the partial hijack...just trying to give you a sense of where my thought train runs and why I decided to go to a projector - they are the ONLY way to go for good lighting IMHO. Nothing ticks me off more on a night ride than having someone who doesnt dip, or has badly adjusted headlights, and I dont want to inflict that on anyone else
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #30
BMacW650 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Obviously the brightness comparison would be fairer if the alternator is not running, so the volts are about the same, but I guess I am more interested in the shape of the beam anyway.
I found my Morimoto projector puts too much light near the bike for my liking for highway use (though not as badly as the HID-in-OEM reflector setup I changed from). This is something that car drivers would not notice so much, typically having a hood that shields their eyes from this glare, but from my point of view the idea of a projector is to put light only where you want it and not waste lumens, and the glare doesnt help night vision, especially above that sharp cutoff. Yes, I am hard to please!
This light spill might be okay for offroad use where seeing close to the bike while standing would be an advantage, but I havent night-offroaded this current setup yet and I figure I would be using my Rigids in that situation -while they throw a lot of light down the road, they also spill onto the foreground just because that is what LEDs do.
Sorry for the partial hijack...just trying to give you a sense of where my thought train runs and why I decided to go to a projector - they are the ONLY way to go for good lighting IMHO. Nothing ticks me off more on a night ride than having someone who doesnt dip, or has badly adjusted headlights, and I dont want to inflict that on anyone else
The cut off on the 90mm is OKAY, it's way better on the 60mm projector. But both are way better than any reflector style lamp especially with the HID conversion.

I will take some picture tonight.

Here is a picture of my 60mm projector. Beam angle is not adjusted, but you get the idea of the quality of the light.