ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #61
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by last in line View Post
Geez, stoke you are going to complain about a mere 450 miles.

The best investment I made was a skid plate. I recommend the one from 'narcosis junky' he's on the forum. That plate has saved my bottom end a few times.
Ha ha, yeah I know, right!? All will be well though, and that's the best part about dual sports: you ride there. This is a part of CA I have never seen, so totally worth it.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #62
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
if I can joint you guys somewhere in between....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
There's off road routes in anza borrego?
I'm out in SD too. Ill probably bust out the Butler maps for the outbound trip then do the 395 and 15 on the way back.

Sent from my iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
We're leaving on Wed (16th). Caravan?
Strength in numbers & all that. I'm all for alternate routes to/from.
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #63
stoke
ocean minded

We would have to figure out a way to meet you on the route there, but I'm sure it's doable. Fun to convoy it too.

Prob a lot easier to figure out once we have the way there sorted. Are you close to any of the major highways that would be along the way?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #64
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
Shouldn't be an issue. Let me build the route then we'll find out where to link up along it, also let me know if your fuel range is less than 170 miles.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #65
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,303
DOH! So I was just mentioning to the boss about some deal around Death Valley that I wanted to go to.... Um, sister in law is having her bachelorette and birthday party that weekend, and little man isn't big enough for me to bring on the bike yet.

Therefore, I'm out.

Ah well, it will buy me some points for the next one... :)
Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #66
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

I thought the girls were supposed to be the boss

I'm plotting the route there now. This is a rough draft.

Whens the earliest us San Diego folks can leave on Wednesday? The route I have is about 560 miles. I can quickly adjust as needed if this is too long. My alternate is to take the 15 all the way to Baker which should save some time. There are no dirt roads, other than the last leg into Gold Point, on the outbound route. I figure we would get enough dirt time there. Again I can add a few short stretches if need be.

Headstaller I think you should be able to link up with us at the junction of 10 and 62. where we turn north. I can't guarantee an exact time but give me till tomorrow and I can give you an aprox. time. I need to find out when the SD folks can leave out.

Edit- I haven't figured in the fuel stops yet. I'm still going off the 170 mile fuel stops unless headstalker tells me different.

Edit- Corrected for fuel stops Basecamp says 584 miles. We might be able to figure in one less fuel stop on the way depends on condition but the 4 fuel stops I have calculated in are playing it safe 170 or under. One fuel stop is less than 100 miles from the last but gas stations seem to be lacking out in the desert.

jeepinbanditrider screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 10:49 PM
Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #67
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 890
Ghosttown Bound & Down-

Quote:
I'm plotting the route there now. This is a rough draft.
Well done! I like it.

Whens the earliest us San Diego folks can leave on Wednesday? The route I have is about 560 miles. I say we rendezvous in Esco at sun up.

I can quickly adjust as needed if this is too long. My alternate is to take the 15 all the way to Baker which should save some time. There are no dirt roads, other than the last leg into Gold Point, on the outbound route. I figure we would get enough dirt time there. Again I can add a few short stretches if need be.
Either or I'm game.

Edit- Corrected for fuel stops Basecamp says 584 miles. We might be able to figure in one MORE fuel stop on the way depends on condition but the 4 fuel stops I have calculated in are playing it safe 170 or under. One fuel stop is less than 100 miles from the last but gas stations seem to be lacking out in the desert.
Fixed.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #68
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
I have a 1.75 gal Rotopax so I am good for >200 miles. I am located around 91/15 fwy.
Will keep an eye on thread for updates.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
We would have to figure out a way to meet you on the route there, but I'm sure it's doable. Fun to convoy it too.

Prob a lot easier to figure out once we have the way there sorted. Are you close to any of the major highways that would be along the way?
Quote:
Shouldn't be an issue. Let me build the route then we'll find out where to link up along it, also let me know if your fuel range is less than 170 miles.
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #69
stoke
ocean minded

I'm down...

With meeting everyone in Esco at sunup. That's what coffee thermoses are for, right?!

The route looks great, if we're going to do this trip, let's do it right! I have an offline gps for my phone, not a garmin, so I will just be following you guys.

I have a spare fuel bottle I can carry if people need topping off, the 'ol Vstrom's 5.8 gal tank really does give you some extreme range though. Makes you wonder why the Beemers tank is so small...

Anybody here wire up a usb power port to their bike? I'm thinking that would be good accessory to have but not sure how much of a pain in ass it is....
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #70
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Lets just all meet in Julian then. We're going to be heading down 78 anyway to the Salton Sea migiht as well meet there. Either that or Ramona. That would be meeting in the middle so to speak between here and ESCO.

We can probably grab a quick junk food breakfast in Ramona since everything in Julian will be close at 7 or 8 in the morning. If everyone is cool with waking up that early in the morning.
Edit- Sunup also works and we can take our time and still get up to Gold Point at a decent time. :) Some stuff in Ramona should still be open.

jeepinbanditrider screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 08:37 PM
Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #71
jrozar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Looking forward to meeting up with you guys!
jrozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #72
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrozar View Post
Looking forward to meeting up with you guys!
Likewise!
When I spoke with Herb last week, he mentioned "Death Ride" with an evil chuckle. Haunted trail or?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #73
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I have a spare fuel bottle I can carry if people need topping off, the 'ol Vstrom's 5.8 gal tank really does give you some extreme range though. Makes you wonder why the Beemers tank is so small...

I have tank envy.

Anybody here wire up a usb power port to their bike? Haven't had the need to, designers kept tank small to make room for a built in schmancy power port....
Quote:
Lets just all meet in Julian then. We're going to be heading down 78 anyway to the Salton Sea migiht as well meet there. Either that or Ramona. That would be meeting in the middle so to speak between here and ESCO.

Good Call. Lets meet at Packards Coffee shop in Ramona as they open at 7. (hwy78 & Main)
packardscoffee.com

Shooby screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 10:19 AM
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #74
jrozar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
The answer is Or....

But one of the best parts of the weekend is starting your morning and ending the evening with Herbs cooking....make sure yor rsvp meals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Likewise!
When I spoke with Herb last week, he mentioned "Death Ride" with an evil chuckle. Haunted trail or?

jrozar screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 09:28 AM
jrozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #75
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Quote:
The answer is Or.... ...
Ok cool, but just pencil me in, I may have to help Herb with a Poltergeist or something that day.

Quote:
But one of the best parts of the weekend is starting your morning and ending the evening with Herbs cooking....make sure yor rsvp meals...
Thanks for the reminder. Breakfast comes with the Cabin, but I'll email a confirmation for Dinner.