User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.74 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #496
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,126
I'm really wanting to hear what the problem was that resulted in the strut being bent! I am considering doing the Forester strut/spring lift to mine. I wont be driving it like you likely were, mine will just be for camping with the dog and negotiating the semi-truck sized potholes that we have here in Oakland!

Glad to hear David is recovering well!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #497
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
West Coast Subaru Show...

Team OSR had a great time at the West Coast Subaru Show held in Longview, WA this Saturday with the awesome 2013 Mexican 1000 class winning '97 Subaru Outback:

She's still sexy as ever, Dorthy that is, even when she's dirty... OK, I have a confession to make (or maybe it's a plea bargain ) . We took the Subie through the ceremonial mud pit (click on below image to watch video):

Forgive the maniacal laughing on my part. I'll explain why below, but as you can see, the OSR Subaru with David at the wheel worked a treat. Back to the explanation though: you gotta hand it to the Subaru faithful. As David and Eric were waiting in line to give a go at the mud pit, about half a dozen folks in pure street cars (meaning lowered and turbo'ed Imprezas and WRXs) launched themselves into the brown abyss with the resolve that only a grizzly bear gets when grabbin' for a salmon . They'd all made it about half way across the arena, at which point the lo-pro tires would start spinning, and the cars would dig themselves in quicker then a Jeep taking a dip in the hot tub in Moab. The suspense was making Ray and I flinch... poor hot turbos getting doused with cold mud!

Luckily, ADV's very own Noah was there with his totally bitchin' Austrian Pinzgauer 4x4 troop carrier, extricating the fallen tarmac warriors (and they all fought the mud 'til the bitter end):

The only car that rocked the boat on mud lake was the one below. Despite tugging at it with pure resolve, the portal-axle equipped Pinzgauger couldn't pull the below impreza out in the bottomless mud. It wasn't the troop carrier's fault, the fallen Impreza was acting like a dredge in the Mississippi. The 4x4 backhoe was called in, and pulled everyone out and the day was saved:

It was one heck of a good time... Everyone we met was great, especially the Canadians, which caravan'ed down from all across central Canada. Can't wait 'till next year.

TwinDuro screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 12:38 AM
TwinDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #498
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,514
Looks like someone was having a lot of fun playing in the mud.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #499
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,408
Weird. I woke up Saturday morning and the Subie was gone. Ray said something about working through some issues on the car.....its all so clear now!

E tu Cory!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #500
totensiebush
formerly tarded

Oddometer: 70
I just read through this thread recently, good read and thanks for the info.

I recently acquired a freshly totaled 99 Outback with a 4EAT, damage was limited to the front and mostly cosmetic. I'm in the process of building a tube bumper for it, which will get an LED lightbar, as well as some lift, bigger tires, etc. Here's how it currently looks: https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...30816663_n.jpg although the bumper isn't complete yet - I'm still deciding on 2 vs 3 uprights, and how exactly I should tie it to the core support.

What're your suggestions for suspension on a budget? I was thinking of doing some 1" spacers and then a little more lift with springs, but might do something else.
totensiebush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #501
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,751
Speaking of suspension, I seem to recall you had a teaser of a story about destroying suspension in Baja but you never told the whole story!!

Also.... probably time to start getting ready again for next year ????
Old 10-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #502
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Sweet video of your car in the mud lake. Very nice.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #503
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,514
Hey OC is there any update with what you're up too? Junior and I were just talking about you last night and wondering what you have up your sleeve next.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #504
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,979
Very cool and fun. Glad to see that Dorothy is keeping you guys in fun all year long

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #505
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Hey OC is there any update with what you're up too? Junior and I were just talking about you last night and wondering what you have up your sleeve next.

Well work life has a funny way of getting in the way of fun life...and consequently I never did finish the race report. Mechanic David did a report for his website http://www.appleautomotiveservice.com/

This will have to suffice.....His report starts here: http://www.appleautomotiveservice.co...eservice/baja/

As far as update of what we are up to....I am (not-so-patiently) waiting for the custom coilovers that are being built for the Subaru. David has just installed some new Delta race cams in the Subaru and they seem to be giving Dirty Dorothy some added pull through all of the gears. Ray and I are working on some new custom sheet metal for the old girl. Our design will help step it away from looking exactly like a grocery-getter to just kinda still like a grocery-getter Of course, that's part of the charm for me.

On other OSR fronts, the SL350 motor is at Gary's (the moto-mechanic) where he will be replacing the cam chain tensioner and checking the top end. Cory and I had some high hopes of riding our SL350's in the LA to Barstow to Vegas next month, but neither of us will have the time or money to be ready for that. So instead, we are setting our sights on a different event to run together early next year...more on that later.

Also...I'm selling the the official OSR chase van as Laura and I feel the need to downsize a bit. So if anyone wants a 2010 Sprinter Van in excellent condition with a Baja pedigree......send off a PM. Spoiler Alert....it is not cheap

Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #506
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
OC, don't forget I owe you some motor work on that SL, or some other machine! BTW, when did you determine a tensioner wheel problem? I need to pull my tensioner and look at the high tech Polish wheels and see how they are holding up!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #507
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
BTW, when did you determine a tensioner wheel problem? I need to pull my tensioner and look at the high tech Polish wheels and see how they are holding up!
Don't you remember that piece of hardened rubber we found when I changed the oil at Chehalis? Not sure, but thats what the current theory is.

Also, was in Portland today getting the Sprinter serviced and David showed up with Dirty Dorothy and I took David to lunch. I did notice a difference with the new Delta cams. The car has always pulled real good for a N/A 2.5 Subaru... better than stock even thanks to David's magic.....but now there seems to be a nice boost at around 4500 rpm where she really starts to actually pull harder and keeps pulling all the way up! David works on a lot of Subarus and said that Dorothy seems to be pulling hard just when most N/A 2.5 are starting to fizzle. David said to him it feels like a stock WRX turbo. Of course, a WRX can put out some crazy horsepower when tweaked but David said that stock, they are pretty tame. I'm not sure I am buying that, but she did feel strong. It would be fun to know what the bhp and torque ratings are for the old girl...but it really makes no difference, we are not trying to build a high hp car, just one that produces adequate power, is reliable and gets decent MPG. In that respect...David (and Fuji Heavy Industries) has definitely succeeded!

Motor and driveline weren't the weak links on the Subaru at the M1K, it was suspension and body limitations. We are working on those..so stay tuned.......

Old 12-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #508
decafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
just saw this great read

miss you guys I had all the kids home for holidays and we are thinking 2015. there is no way I can be ready for 2014 but I want to do a 1990 audi coupe . I have rallycross suspension on it just need to cage it and add another seat . meet go down to spectate this and visit my son in southern cailifornia have fun paul
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #509
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Did I hear you say you want to chase this year
Old 01-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #510
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Did I hear you say you want to chase this year
I have not been keeping up with the news this year. You making another go at it? Perhaps with a beefed up suspension on the subie?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: