Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #8266
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,261
Two of the head bolts are broken off in the jug. thats the only reason I'm pulling it off. The bike was kicking 190psi when I tested it after i bought it, I expect the rings to be good. but will measure the rings to be safe. Dumb mechanic before me didn't oil ANY of the bolts in the whole engine. I'm surpised I only broke two.

I know 190 is a lil high, i dont think the tester was accurate though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.

RFVC600R screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 02:55 PM
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #8267
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

I just shit a brick. I found a running XL600R motor on CL for $200

Should I buy it?? it looks better than mine visually but it has 28k miles.

Take the best of both??

Quote:
Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #8268
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post

Take the best of both??
Spare parts.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #8269
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
If shipping wont cost a lot you could get it and slap it in and see if it works ok. Not hard to swap engines. If it works ok, you can be riding while tearing the other one down, or not.

wouldn't take much to rack up a 200 dollar parts bill, although there is a chance the other one is toast. There is also a chance that with those miles someone has already rebuilt it once. Can you hear it run first?
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #8270
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Well, Ive cocked up big time. Yesterday I drowned my XL. By drowned I mean completely submerged it in about 3 feet of water. This was taken just before it went under!

Engine wasn't running when it went under. When I got it out I tried to restart it, but no go. Had to leave it in the bush and walk 5km out, where a mate picked me up and drove me home. Picked the bike up this morning, put it on a trailer and took it home. Oil in the crankcase is milky white so heaps of water got in somehow. Also water in the carbs. Carbs drained, oil drained as well. Some water got into the frame too. Ive poured a couple of litres of diesel into the head and frame and sprayed inox down the plughole.
Drained the diesel after cranking the engine over a couple of dozen times.
I've still got a good spark so the dunking hasn't damaged the electrics it seems.
I plan to repeat the diesel flush at least two more times, before filling with cheap supermarket oil and hopefully starting it. I'll change the oil and filter a couple or three times before I ride it and keep a close eye on the oil colour. Any other tips for resurrecting a drowned engine?
Well I started her up this morning after spending a couple of days flushing diesel through the engine and frame.

Wouldn't run at all on less than full choke which is new for this bike. Usually I don't need any choke to start it up, just half a turn on the idle screw.

Anyway, after she warmed up, she ran and idled fine on no choke.
Im going to buy some cheap oil and a couple of filters and run two or three oil changes through it today before taking it for a run this afternoon.

Then I've got to clean and oil all the cables and give the rear drum a once over too.

Lesson learned. I'll be keeping it a dry as a pommys towel from now on!
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #8271
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:

Take the best of both??
You will make money on the deal. Just sell what you dont need on ebay.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #8272
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

He said the motor was a runner when pulled, 28K miles. Was a gift from relative. Bike was tore down for repainting and it sat for years. Engine has a leak from crankcase cover and valve cover (surpise? ). He said he'd sell it for $150 if I'm really gonna use it.

Who wants to bet I'll have a running bike by tomorrow?? I got all those gaskets

Quote:

RFVC600R screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 11:12 PM
Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #8273
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
He said the motor was a runner when pulled, 28K miles. Was a gift from relative. Bike was tore down for repainting and it sat for years. Eventually the roller was sold. Engine has a leak from crankcase cover and valve cover (surpise? ). He said he'd sell it for $150 if I'm really gonna use it.

Who wants to bet I'll have a running bike by tomorrow?? I got all those gaskets
Take your time. Don't be in a hurry.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #8274
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Doesn't take lone to swap if it is complete. You gotta run it anyway to see or hear if it has problems. Worst case you will be out a couple of quarts of oil and a gasket or two.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #8275
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Just got it and it looks alot better than my engine, about to go install it.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #8276
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oh and he plenty of good parts, he is only interested in selling to someone who is going to put them to use. For example, he wants $50 for rims. He doesn't have time to ship them so if anybody wants anything I'll have to pick them up for you and ship them to you. Let me know, he said nothing is going anywhere anytime soon.

exhaust sytem
carbys
Forks
Frame
Gas tank
Rims
Swing Arm
Shock
etc etc

If only I had a lil more money lol

Quote:
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #8277
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Gotta wait til tomorrow for anything else. The camshaft looks good, the chain isn't stretch, and the bolts were actually oiled. It does make a noise when I turn it over TDC by hand. Kind of like a slight slap. I absolutely could not get the valve addjustment caps off, All they managed to do is break and not turn. The timing cover plug is broke as well, so I need to get one of those. I'm pretty happy. I'm gonna use the head from this engine on my original engine. Just gotta get those broken bolts taken out.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #8278
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Sorry to be posting so much guys. I'm parting the 84' engine out. I'm just gonna take the head from it and sell the rest at 50% less than the other ebayers so hopefully I can get my original head repaired. if anybody needs anything, PM me plz! The goal here is to hopefully keep my bike and others' bikes on the trails and streets

Quote:
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #8279
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
So...

I replaced my air cut off with a new unit from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310701234175

The old one had several pin holes in it. The new spring was not similar in length (shorter) or shape (beehive) so I use the old spring.

I also replaced all the exhaust gaskets, which the mid pipe gasket was just falling apart...

And...I'm still getting a decent amount of decel pop, not loud, but there. I sometimes have to really listen for it with my helmet on and all.

I rode into work this morning, and the bike was running quite weird. It seems like it was misfiring at idle, and then it would idle high, like super high. I'm thinking I may have had the idle screw turned up too high to compensate for the idle, and then something *cough* pulse generator *cough* is causing the idle to drop occasionally, and allow the bike to misfire.

My idea... is the pulse generator. I have a brand new one in my parts box with side cover gasket. I think I'm gonna attack that tonight.

It also seems to just fall on its face at higher speeds. The bike takes off in 1st like I remember, leaving the front end nice and light... But in 4th or 5th, at around 60mph, giving it throttle will just bog the bike down.

Thoughts?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #8280
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
So...

I replaced my air cut off with a new unit from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310701234175

The old one had several pin holes in it. The new spring was not similar in length (shorter) or shape (beehive) so I use the old spring.

I also replaced all the exhaust gaskets, which the mid pipe gasket was just falling apart...

And...I'm still getting a decent amount of decel pop, not loud, but there. I sometimes have to really listen for it with my helmet on and all.

I rode into work this morning, and the bike was running quite weird. It seems like it was misfiring at idle, and then it would idle high, like super high. I'm thinking I may have had the idle screw turned up too high to compensate for the idle, and then something *cough* pulse generator *cough* is causing the idle to drop occasionally, and allow the bike to misfire.

My idea... is the pulse generator. I have a brand new one in my parts box with side cover gasket. I think I'm gonna attack that tonight.

It also seems to just fall on its face at higher speeds. The bike takes off in 1st like I remember, leaving the front end nice and light... But in 4th or 5th, at around 60mph, giving it throttle will just bog the bike down.

Thoughts?
It is probably a fried pulse generator.
At nearly 30 years old these bikes need every electrical replaced.
I did it all in one shot. PG, CDI, coil, stator. The bike runs fantastic.