Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #1531
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR View Post
Hey guys,
I just picked up my new 2012 f 650 gs. I have only put 50 miles on it so far. I ran late getting it, and way to much wildlife around my area to safely ride at night. Anyways, the wind coming off the windsheild is terrible. I am 5'11" and it hits me right in the ole helmet. Can anyone direct me toward a good replacement? I think I am gonna cut it down a few inches in the mean time. Sorry if this has been asked here already, but I didn't have time to read all the prior posts.
Got a Cee Bailey screen for my wife's 650 and she likes it. http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/

They have a "how to measure" process on thier web site. http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle/height-width.htm
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #1532
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Hey guys,
...Anyways, the wind coming off the windsheild is terrible. I am 5'11" and it hits me right in the ole helmet. Can anyone direct me toward a good replacement? I think I am gonna cut it down a few inches in the mean time.
The Dieserto 3 is mighty expensive, but the absolute best windscreen I've ever used in my life. No bull. Works fantastic!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #1533
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Thanks Guys! For now I have it cut down all the way to the gauges to get my helmet into clean air. I am used to "naked" bikes so the wind doesn't bother me at all but I will want to order a tall one for some of our longer tours. BTW, it took a lil bit to get used to the bike coming off a Duc 1098 Streetfighter, but the more I ride it the more I like it! So smooth...
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #1534
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Doesn't the 650 have the same screen as the 800? That thing is so low, it's almost like having a naked bike. The air feels completely clean to me. I'm 5 11 also. But, that's me . . . obviously your experience is different.

For cooler temps when I don't want full on air I have a Madstad shield which suits me really well. It has a huge adjustment range and allows a bit of air underneath it to get rid of helmet buffeting. Since I don't like a big piece of plastic in front of my face, I have it set as low as possible which deflects the air over my head just fine with 0 buffeting and I look way over it.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #1535
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-atl View Post
I'd like to put a Givi trekker on as a top case. Any benefit/advantage to buying a third party rack ie (motech) over the Givi one?
I've put a MOD plate on the back of my F800 as an 'adaptor' for my Shad case plate, but MOD sells Givi Monokey adapters that fit directly on that plate eliminating the need for the Casey's own base plate.
Benefits - much more robust plate you can strap a bag to when you're off-roading, if that's what you're into, and then there's the ability to install Rotopax and other adaptors quite easily.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #1536
thehedgehog
n00b

Oddometer: 6
K&N Cone Airfilter +Rain =?

I often see that custom R100s have a cone air filter. I am living in a typically wet part of the world a curious if this type of upgrade will work with ample amounts of rain.

So cone filter + Rain =?

thehedgehog screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 06:38 AM
thehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #1537
dannyboydesigns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Do we just live with scratches?

So, I got a new 13 F800Gs and I was out in the mountains of western Montana, way over my head I should mention and the bike bucked me like a horse. Crash bars saved the upper front from total demo but still some scratches. Any way to touch them up? Or should I keep them as a reminder of my skill level?
dannyboydesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #1538
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboydesigns View Post
So, I got a new 13 F800Gs and I was out in the mountains of western Montana, way over my head I should mention and the bike bucked me like a horse. Crash bars saved the upper front from total demo but still some scratches. Any way to touch them up? Or should I keep them as a reminder of my skill level?
What's worse, your riding ability or your paint skills? I prefer the scars earned in life over shiny perfection. It's a GS dammit, you're not supposed to wash it either. Well, maybe if you're a Starbucks Captain.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #1539
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Doesn't the 650 have the same screen as the 800? ...
The F650GS twin's screen is shorter than the F800GS (up thru 2012),
I don't know about the F700GS ...

FWIW:

I took my screen off of my F650GS and fed it thru the bandsaw down almost to the mounting screws and am pretty happy with the "clean air" result...

I might wish for protection of a big screen in high winds, and would like to try it, but the clean air option mostly works fine for me..........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #1540
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 219
Plastic Piece

Okay, here goes a stupid question. Is it me, or does the '13 f800 have an uneven lower left side fairing when compared to the right side? For the life of me, I can't seem to figure out why these stupid TT upper crash bars wont mount. I wasn't born yesterday so, it's not as if I have them mounted upside down or anything. Unless these puppies are bent, OR there is an uneven lower left fairing jut out, I am going crazy. ... and when I say, wont mount, I mean they come with in 1/16" from the lower left fairing.

Now, here is the right side - sexy as ever.

The Island screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 09:57 PM
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #1541
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboydesigns View Post
Good, you've got that important part of the break-in completed. I'll bet you had a blast putting those scratches on so, go find some more.

Unless you bought your bike to be a shinny commuter to Starbucks, the odd scratch goes with the territory. Don't worry about it.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #1542
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Gas

Has anyone figured out a good way to fill the tank without giving your seat and fairing a gas bath? Son of a.....
Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #1543
RexBuck
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Has anyone figured out a good way to fill the tank without giving your seat and fairing a gas bath? Son of a.....
Patience . . .
Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #1544
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

LOL yeah, I'm learning. 3rd fill up today and I forgot about it. Now I smell like gas at work. The ladies are diggin it!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #1545
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Ive never had an issue filling gas...doesnt the pump shut of automatically? I find pumps shut off then I pull the nozzle out and put just a bit more in and its full.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Solo Ride Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote