Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #1621
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
great initial review....sorry to hear about the screw up but we can relate. When we left for our Alaska trip the "sponsor" dealer installed both our rear Scouts out of alignment which prematurely stretched our chains and also sent us on our way with under inflated tires...29 rear PSi and 32 front. Bad on us for not checking a pro techs job. We have learned. We are on our 4th set of K60's which are now on our '13 F800's. For a mutli purpose tired they should be stock on all GS bikes IMHO
It's mad—the lack of pride for a job well done these days (god I'm starting to sound like my parents)... in my case the named tyre shop for an official BMW dealership, in yours presumably an official Triumph dealership. Obviously a guardian angel on both shoulders all round. But also a testament to the engineering that goes into modern bikes and tyres that such bodges don’t end up in tragedy...

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #1622
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
My dealer sells BMW and Triumph but this was not our sponsor dealership for our Alaska trip.. We should have used our dealer but they got the Triumph label too late for us back in 2011. Our dealer takes pride.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #1623
Pabigwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Front tire cupping bad

Time for a question for the other K60 owners. I ran my first set on the bike until they had close to 10K miles on them. Overall, I was very happy with them. I changed the front along with the rear because the outer edges of the front were worn down bad. Center of the front still had plenty of meat left. I thought maybe I was running my front to soft (generally around 31-32 psi). So since I put the new set on I have been running around 34psi. I just noticed this morning that the tires are starting to do the same thing. Currently they have around 3K miles on them. I run around 36psi in the rear tire and that wears fine. What's up with the front?

Should I bump the front pressure up to 36psi as well?

Should I drop the front pressure down to 28-30psi?

Anybody else have this issue?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #1624
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabigwoods View Post
Time for a question for the other K60 owners. I ran my first set on the bike until they had close to 10K miles on them. Overall, I was very happy with them. I changed the front along with the rear because the outer edges of the front were worn down bad. Center of the front still had plenty of meat left. I thought maybe I was running my front to soft (generally around 31-32 psi). So since I put the new set on I have been running around 34psi. I just noticed this morning that the tires are starting to do the same thing. Currently they have around 3K miles on them. I run around 36psi in the rear tire and that wears fine. What's up with the front?

Should I bump the front pressure up to 36psi as well?

Should I drop the front pressure down to 28-30psi?

Anybody else have this issue?

They recently changed the max pressure rating on the K60, check what the max pressure is and back it off some. The fronts generally are happy with 34-36. The rears now I believe go up to 41, generally run them about 36.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #1625
gagator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Very confuesed

I installed a set of K60's on my BMW F800 GS at 800 miles. From the first time I viewed this thread I was skeptical of some of the mileage claims of some owners. I have been riding for over 30 years. I have never gotten over 5000 miles on any set of tires on any motorcycle.Regardless of type or style. I Ride a motorcycle the way is mint to be ridden and have race off road and on rode. My first review of this tire was 100% plus but I feel a little different now. The K60 is a very capable duel sport tire. I have been off road in places at a speed that a GS 800 should not be going and the tire works great. I have ran way to fast and made sure that there were no chicken strips left and the tire has surprising road grip. If you have ever had a GS800 you know the bike works surprisingly well in both applications.( Well after a Olins up grade that is) and the tire suites it well. I now have only 2200 miles on my K60's and the front is close to needing to be replaced. The center is fine but the sides wore very fast. The rear seems to have held up much better. I reality I am not disappointed in the ware of the tire. I always get about 3000 miles out of a set of tires and these have proven no different. The question is would I replace them with a second set of K60's. I not sure and the verdict is still out for me. Good grip well above average on and off road. Average ware at least for me. I was a motorcycle dealer for 15 years and I may heed the advise I gave customers for years when I replace this set of tires. When in doubt about what tire to buy just buy the Michelins.

gagator screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 06:16 PM
gagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #1626
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 977
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagator View Post
I installed a set of K60's on my BMW F800 GS at 800 miles. From the first time I viewed this thread I was skeptical of some of the mileage claims of some owners. I have been riding for over 30 years. I have never gotten over 5000 miles on any set of tires on any motorcycle.Regardless of type or style. I Ride a motorcycle the way is mint to be ridden and have race off road and on rode. My first review of this tire was 100% plus but I feel a little different now. The K60 is a very capable duel sport tire. I have been of road in places at a speed that a GS 800 should not be going and the tire works great. I have ran way to fast and made sure that there were no chicken strips left and the tire has surprising road grip. If you have ever had a GS800 you know the bike works surprisingly well in both applications.( Well after a Olins up grade that is) and the tire suites it well. I now have only 2200 miles on my K60's and the front is close to needing to be replaced. The center is fine but the sides wore very fast. The rear seems to have held up much better. I reality I am not disappointed in the ware of the tire. I always get about 3000 miles out of a set of tires and these have proven no different. The question is would I replace them with a second set of K60's. I not sure and the verdict is still out for me. Good grip well above average on and off road. Average ware at least for me. I was a motorcycle dealer for 15 years and I may heed the advise I gave customers for years when I replace this set of tires. When in doubt about what tire to buy just buy the Michelins.
Buy Michelins because Parts Unlimited can't get these tires!!! This makes me laugh! Your a badass!!! LOL I take it you get 1000 miles from a TKC 80??

49,000+ miles on a 1200GS, only just started my third set of K60's.....first set; front 18K, rear almost 15K (Death Valley twice, from California to Moab & back, off roading at both places). Second set, mostly street, front 14K, rear 9500K.

Hopefully people understand when evaluating information on the Internet they can take the high and low and come up with a mean average. After you evaluate everything you'll be hard pressed to find anything like the K60 for a real 50/50 tire that lasts!! The above (if installed correctly) is very much on the low side of normal.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #1627
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
If you're thinking of replacing your K60s after 2,200 miles, please PM me. I'll take them off of your hands and pay for shipping. I've never gotten less than 8,000 miles off of mine, and most of them have lasted more than 10,000 miles.

I must ride like a grandpa.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #1628
Jhawkins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I'm pretty much settled on replacing my stock rear with a k60, but I've heard there's better fronts to use. Does anyone here know of a good front 50/50 front that outperforms the k60?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #1629
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,218
TKC 80. Great wear and performs better on and off pavement.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #1630
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
TKC 80. Great wear and performs better on and off pavement.
Agree. TKC-80 front/K-60 rear works well on my F800GS.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #1631
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
I'm also running the k60 rear tkc 80 front. I have almost 9k miles on the front tire and am getting ready to replace it. I only got 3400 miles off the rear tkc 80.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #1632
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,806
anybody running the Shinko 700 front with the K60 rear?

I have a pair of these sitting, waiting for a bike they will fit.
I also have a pair of K60's waiting until I can wear the Shinko 705's out I just put on the bike 1000 miles ago.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #1633
samueleuk
Sam

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenereTravelers View Post
For my kind of riding that consists of daily commuting in Sydney and weekend long rides on a combination of sealed and unsealed roads, I researched many websites and decided that for me the Heidenau K60 is the best compromise. I also went up a size on the rear from 130/80x17 to 140/80x17 as my weekend rides are usually fully loaded comprising of rider and passenger and luggage. All up this can weight around 180kg and I feel that the additional load rating of the 140 over the 130 can only be a good thing.
Hi there

I have a couple of questions. First, are you sure that mouting a 140/80 is legal? I am a bit worried about insurance as the OEM tire is 130/80.
Secondly, do you know if the 130/80 also as the solid line in the center of the tire? That's good for wear on heavier bikes, but for off-road riding I rather not have it.
Thanks
Sam
samueleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #1634
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I'm running a TKC80 front and a K60 rear on my F700.

Once scrubbed in, I liked both of the tires. But I've found the rear loose on damp cold pavement, wet roads and horrifyingly enough, on patched pavement/tar snakes. After a multitude of unsettling episodes, I'm looking forward to replacing the rear. Although it looks like it has plenty of life left at 7kmi.

If a guy wants to maintain the ability to fire road/gravel/packed dirt and ride it daily on tarmac to and from work, what would you recommend as a tire that's more stable? I'll even give up a bit of the longevity?

Would the Karoo 3 be a good options?
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #1635
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Farmer View Post
I found the k60's to be terrible in snow. I imagine studs might help on ice but may not dig through snow. I have a second bike with TKC80's and it moves through snow with no problems.
Cut some SIPES across the tread with a razor blade. traction in snow, and on ICE will be greatly enhanced.