User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
eldog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Canadian Bacon Camping

For the Canada Day long weekend a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I decided to try full camping, tents, bags, and cooking, two up on our bike for the first time. We had done weekend trips before but this was the first where we hadn't booked a room. With the weather this summer it could have gone either way.

From downtown Toronto we headed about 175 km east towards Lakefield to a Conservation area. We stuck mostly to backroads to Port Hope. For those that are interested, from Port Hope we took Duke Road north to Millbrook, then Wallace Point Road northeast to Peterborough and finally along the very scenic and twisty Nassau Mills Road to Lakefield. Then east from there to Warsaw Caves Conservation Centre. This is our first report so we'll figure out the maps and how to shoot from the bike as we go.

Anyway, you didn't come here for the text. You came fore the pictures and might stay for the bacon.

Fully loaded by exp_resso, on Flickr

Our f650, fully loaded with side panniers and tail bag. (Pillion not shown)

Firewood delivery by exp_resso, on Flickr

Conservation area rules are that we have to bring or buy our own wood. Only after a couple of trips did I find out they would have dropped it off at our site for us.

Working the Grill by exp_resso, on Flickr

While we brought a stove, we figured dogs are best done over the grill

Canadian dog with cheese curds by exp_resso, on Flickr

And with a bit of fresh curd picked up along the way we introduce the Canadian Dog. Might need to add gravy next time...

Roasting marshmallows by exp_resso, on Flickr

For dessert, marshmallows were the obvious choice. Reflective jacket liners make for very fashionable eveningwear at the campground although they are hard to photograph with a flash.

You'll have to wait for the bacon. It will be in the next post. If we gave it to you now, you wouldn't stay would you?
eldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Hello!

I'm in!
Where's the Bacon!
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
eldog OP
Adventurer

Arrgh...

Learning the hard way that advrider with timeout if you spend too long writing your post. Just lost all that bacon.

Regular bacon broadcasting will resume shortly.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
eldog OP
Adventurer

Resuming broadcasting of the CBC - Canadian Bacon Camping

Sunny Canada Day morning by exp_resso, on Flickr

Canada Day started with the sun shining through the trees into our campsite.

Canadian Maple breakfast by exp_resso, on Flickr

Sorry, we had the most stereotypical start to the morning - with all the maple we could carry, everything from oatmeal to beef jerky.

We were also test driving stoves, comparing Coghlan's camp heat to a Tangia burner, both in a Coghlan's folding stove. The Tangia was the clear winner, but it was good to learn that we now know how to use either in a pinch. The pot was just the smallest one we could grab out of the kitchen before heading out.

Packing up all that and a bag of chips by exp_resso, on Flickr

Eventually it was time to pack up. We had bought more food in the nearby town of Lakefield and it was getting a bit tight on the bike.

Instead of just retracing our route, we headed south on Water St. through the town of Warsaw then southwest on Warsaw Road back towards Peterborough. This is a good curvy road for getting through the area. We had intended to stop in Peterborough for a good Canada Day breakfast but with the downtown closed off for a parade and celebrations, it was easier to press on. We retraced our route back towards Millbrook.

Sylvia's in Millbrook by exp_resso, on Flickr

The main street is just west of the main intersection so we missed it on our ride up. It was very quiet on this holiday morning and it looked like weather was starting to blow in. We rode around the block and were about to head out before we remembered this is what it is about - discovering new places. So we parked the bike and headed into Sylvia's family restaurant. We liked to think we started something as three more bikes pulled up and their riders came in right after us. However, riders have probably come here for ages. There is also a rep theatre in the town so the restaurant walls are covered in the headshots of many well known actors.

Canadian bacon brunch by exp_resso, on Flickr

Obviously, I went for the Canadian Bacon breakfast with a ketchup maple leaf added for good measure!

With our tanks full and the weather holding, we continued south back to Port Hope and wandered home from there over the rest of the holiday Monday.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Fun?

It's been right around 55 years since I've slept in a tent and the more I read about it here, the more exciting it looks. I'll bet that the ground is harder then I realize though!

Thanks....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote