Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #31
half_price_beemer OP
Wings-it Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
As others have said, the roads north and inland can be really good. Through Ocala, Palatka, Gainesville area are some nice country roads with good scenery. Just watch out for the speed traps. I have yet to ride out to Cedar Key. Have to do that one of these days.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking I might ride up through the Crystal lake this sunday. maybe check out the Ozello Trail. I'm getting pumped up about see more of Florida.
half_price_beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #32
Lollipop
Gator Bait

Oddometer: 25
The Keys

Lived in WPB most of my life. Didn't start going to the Keys until '91. Been back almost every year since. Key Largo has some local restaurants you shouldn't miss, like The Fish House and Sharkey's. Both highly recommended, especially Sharkey's for local color and excellent food. Friday night fish fry has to be experienced to be believed and don't miss the mango pie for desert. It will make your tongue slap your brain. PM me for directions for Sharkey's. There are only 2 reasons for going all the way to KW, in my opinion. One is the scenery after Tavernier, but it's kinda like going to the mountains, if the weather's bad, it almost ain't worth the bother. The other reason is the fast cat to Ft. Jefferson, which is at the end of the reef that makes up FL. It's almost 70 miles west of KW and the remoteness of standing on the fort wall and looking out across the blues and greens of the Gulf will take your breath away. Ya can't get there by bike, but the whole day trip is worth whatever they charge now. It was $110 for the trip, last time I went a few years back, but included the fast catamaran ride, conti breakfast, lunch, and a tour of the fort. Not a boring moment all day, unless the water is rough and you're prone to sea sickness. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the RR......Pop
Lollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
The other reason is the fast cat to Ft. Jefferson, which is at the end of the reef that makes up FL. It's almost 70 miles west of KW and the remoteness of standing on the fort wall and looking out across the blues and greens of the Gulf will take your breath away. Ya can't get there by bike, but the whole day trip is worth whatever they charge now. It was $110 for the trip, last time I went a few years back, but included the fast catamaran ride, conti breakfast, lunch, and a tour of the fort. Not a boring moment all day, unless the water is rough and you're prone to sea sickness. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the RR......Pop
Been to Key West 3 times, all 3 times I wanted to do that tour. Good to hear that it is worth it. Have to make another trip there once it cools off a bit.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #34
half_price_beemer OP
Wings-it Adventurer

Lollipop,

given that there is so much left of florida to see, I'll have to hit the keys up again later down the line. I appreciate the heads up on restaurants. you know how it is when you get to tourist areas, you never no whats a gimmick, and whats real local fare. always nice to here there is real restaurants out there. that aren't going to trick us midwesterners into thinking we got good "local cuisine."
Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #35
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Nice seeing a RR on FL, thanks for sharing it. My kids are actually flying to their new home in FL today and I'll be coming down in Oct. to check things out. I'm still up in the air about moving there but it's a possibility. I'll be interested in having a closer look on two wheels this fall.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #36
half_price_beemer OP
Wings-it Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Nice seeing a RR on FL, thanks for sharing it. My kids are actually flying to their new home in FL today and I'll be coming down in Oct. to check things out. I'm still up in the air about moving there but it's a possibility. I'll be interested in having a closer look on two wheels this fall.
come on down, things are definitely different here, but i'm gaining a new perspective on enjoying the trip not just the ride.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #37
Steveo1kinevo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Why do I see so many guys naming there bikes "guy names"....I thought you where supposed to name it a female name? Hmmm??
Steveo1kinevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #38
half_price_beemer OP
Wings-it Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1kinevo View Post
Why do I see so many guys naming there bikes "guy names"....I thought you where supposed to name it a female name? Hmmm??
I go by the personalit of a bike, mines a pig, and it also doesnt give me 99 problems. So I liked Pumba more than Ms. Piggy.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #39
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1kinevo View Post
Why name a bike at all ? Its just silly....and really a bit girly.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #40
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Back on Topic: Flatistan

I don't name my machinery but sometimes I use it to stash (temporarily) my garden produce.

Key West is a little different from the rest of Florida, and two wheels are the preferred way to get around town, with free parking thrown in everywhere.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #41
Sidney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
When it looks like this in the Midwest...

Florida is much better...
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote