Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #31
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Big is an understatement. From where i camp to where i watch the 500 it's a 1 hour walk MINIMUM. Usually 2 hours if its hot and i've been drinking. Then again i camp at the far end of the coke lot. I cringe at the poor women i see dressed in black shirts wearing high heels, making the long walk across the infield. It can be pouring rain at one end of the track and be sunny and dry at the other, It's big.
Yes, it's a big facility. But any roadracing fan is accustomed to walking. A tour of Road Atlanta is a bigger ordeal than a walk across the perfectly flat IMS grounds. The MotoGP course uses only a small portion of the IMS facility.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #32
r_crabb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Glad I found this thread. I won a contest, and will be attending the Indy GP in the Turn 9 club with my 3-year-old son. I know there's a Kid Zone at IMS, but does anyone know of additional activities that my kid will enjoy?
r_crabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #33
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 463
My first year at Indy, Monster Energy gave me full access. Including access to the Monster Tech 3 team garages and to the Yamaha Hospitality garage (Had lunch with Rossi's crew that years).
Spent the weekend trying to out-Java Monster Scott Russell...I lost miserably.
This was 2009 and I had the same access as the VIP village folks as a "Guest of Monster/Tech III".

That being said, it is a great way to accidentally get up close and personal with some of the riders. The big names are cordoned off though. Rossi, Lorenzo...they were the top dogs at the time and they had their area roped off and there were a bunch of handlers. I did manage to get my GP Tech Dreamtime replica autographed but it was almost a wrestling match to do so.

Some of the lesser name riders are far more approachable. James Toseland at the time hung out and chatted with fans. Colin came up to our suite and hung out with us for about half the 125 race. Capirex almost ran me over on his scooter and then turned around and came back and apologized. The Mole chatted with my roommate at the time for a good 20 minutes. And The Schwantz was with us. Meaning my roommate got some pics with him.

But all in all, it was one of those things that I would have to debate very hard to repeat. Maybe at a different venue but guys like Simoncelli who would hang out with the fans are getting fewer and far between.

$250 is pretty close to top dollar that I would pay out of pocket for the experience.
I also had the option to watch from the Tech III garage or the suite...neither place was close to being the best seat in the house. That would be the hill on the outside of turn 8. And its general admission. Great views.

Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR

ZLTFUL screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 12:42 PM
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #34
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Yes, it's a big facility. But any roadracing fan is accustomed to walking. A tour of Road Atlanta is a bigger ordeal than a walk across the perfectly flat IMS grounds. The MotoGP course uses only a small portion of the IMS facility.
At most AMA venues, you don't have too park in one spot and hoof it everywhere. If you get motorcycle parking, try to get in the museum lot and not on the backstretch. One year I paid one of the private lots across the street from the S/F line. Much less walking.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #35
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_crabb View Post
Glad I found this thread. I won a contest, and will be attending the Indy GP in the Turn 9 club with my 3-year-old son. I know there's a Kid Zone at IMS, but does anyone know of additional activities that my kid will enjoy?
When my kid was three, he really enjoyed the cosplay hookers and high quality blow over at the GenCon convention.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #36
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
When my kid was three, he really enjoyed the cosplay hookers and high quality blow over at the GenCon convention.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #37
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Well, I bit the bullet and bought an expensive ticket. Thanks for the heads up on the paddock passes.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #38
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Well, I bit the bullet and bought an expensive ticket. Thanks for the heads up on the paddock passes.
Now, where's the best hotel to stay at? In the past I've stayed in the hinterlands because it was free (hotel points, baby!).

Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,766
Quote:
Now, where's the best hotel to stay at? In the past I've stayed in the hinterlands because it was free (hotel points, baby!).
There isn't a lot close to the track itself...and that isn't exactly the Ritz over there. Plus there is a comic convention or something, so I would look around Noblesville/Carmel for a room, as long as you are close to 465 you can get to the track in a half hour or so.

Traffic isn't really an issue if you get there in the AM.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 463
Personal recommendations...

Drury Inn on the north side (the Ducati nuts will be there)
Embassy Suites on Vincennes

I spent some time in some sleazier joints when I was testing 911 for Sprint there but I wouldn't recommend them unless you haven't had scabies at least once in your life.
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #41
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
You could always bring a tent and camp out at the track. It's a good time for the most part as long as the weathers good. The only downside, drunks at 1 a.m finding its a wise idea to see who can hold their bike against the rev limiter longest.
sprocketjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #42
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketjock View Post
You could always bring a tent and camp out at the track. It's a good time for the most part as long as the weathers good. The only downside, drunks at 1 a.m finding its a wise idea to see who can hold their bike against the rev limiter longest.
Camping? In Indiana in the summer? *shudder*

Did I mention that I had a buttload of hotel points?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #43
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

I'll probably end up NW of town like I have in the past.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #44
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Supermike, It's only once. Stay at the Duc/Yam hotel downtown. That was the Sheretan City Centre when I was there 2011. New York rates, but worth it. NYC doesn't have MotoGP.

Last year I was at some sooshy place too, but it was out on the beltway. I'd rather camp at the track in a tent...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #45
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Camping? In Indiana in the summer? *shudder*

Did I mention that I had a buttload of hotel points?
Better than camping in Indiana in the winter! It's not that hot at night. Gets hot fast in the morning though.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote