operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post
good choces

I'm really glad I wasn;t in the Adirondacks this weekend

http://news.yahoo.com/3-feet-snow-up...025106821.html

Nah I did a decent loop through the park on Memorial day and it was nice (except the part where my bike tried to burn to the ground). Love the thread BTW your pics are awesome :)
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #467
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
North Hudson used to be home to Frontier Town one of the amusement parks that used to dot The Adirondacks.
Opened in 1952 , closed for a number of years in the 80's and shut down for good in 1998
Oddly enough it's right off an exit but times passed it by

Wasn't there at one time a McDonald's in there? I seem to recall racing down Blue Ridge road after hiking trips to make it there before they closed at 8 PM.

Love the thread! Some of my best memories are hiking the High Peaks with friends in the '90s
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #468
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Thumb

Clearly I need to stop hanging out so much in the threads I am subscribed to and look around a bit more Not sure how this one managed to elude me for so long.

Wow.

Just a great job on all accounts. Your writing style is a perfect complement to the photography. Fantastic report...thank you for taking the time.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #469
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post
Nah I did a decent loop through the park on Memorial day and it was nice (except the part where my bike tried to burn to the ground). Love the thread BTW your pics are awesome :)
The bike burning story sounds interesting . What loop did you ride ?
thanks for stopping by

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
Wasn't there at one time a McDonald's in there? I seem to recall racing down Blue Ridge road after hiking trips to make it there before they closed at 8 PM.

Love the thread! Some of my best memories are hiking the High Peaks with friends in the '90s
Yes there was a Mickey D's there, in fact the doors survive to this day on the right front of the building

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
Clearly I need to stop hanging out so much in the threads I am subscribed to and look around a bit more Not sure how this one managed to elude me for so long.

Wow.

Just a great job on all accounts. Your writing style is a perfect complement to the photography. Fantastic report...thank you for taking the time.
Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it!

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #470
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

I love the early morning and by that I particularly mean from before sunrise to around half an hour or so after the sun rises.

The humid weather brings some of the most fabulous vistas imaginable during the summer months and so i love to take advantage of it and ride for an hour or so to appreciate the magic of the moment

Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #471
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Very much enjoying your wonderful photos.

Thank you for posting that link regarding Frontier Town. I, too, visited many years ago. I knew it was no longer operating but did not know much about the history of the place.

I remember those ubiguitous signs that you would attach to your car bumper with wires.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #472
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
Very much enjoying your wonderful photos.

Thank you for posting that link regarding Frontier Town. I, too, visited many years ago. I knew it was no longer operating but did not know much about the history of the place.

I remember those ubiguitous signs that you would attach to your car bumper with wires.

Ned
Hey Ned, i remember the scurry of all the kids in the parking lot attaching those signs to every car in the lots ( as well as the lots of Storytown and Gaslight village)

Thanks for stopping by

Old 07-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #473
prometheus rising OP
Ghost In The Machine

The humidity broke over night on saturday, and though I had a commitment to fulfill at 3 on Sunday the day was going to be too good to pass up.

So I left at 5 for a run to Lake Placid

To save time i slabbed I 87 to exit 30. If you're going to ride slab 87 north from Lake George is one of the ones to ride, stunning scenery, very rarely a lot of traffic and especially beautiful in the early morning air.

I always stop here along along RTE 73 for a break and a few minuted in the shade

Yeah, the little bastards are cute now, but wait till they grow up

Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #474
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
amazing!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #475
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
amazing!
+11111111111111111111111111111111

take the long way home
pit0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #476
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
amazing!
+1
WOW Joe... Eye candy of the finest order.

Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #477
BoxerPaul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
You have a great photographers eye. A great sense of design, proportion, framing, that most people would love to have.
But one suggestion, please don't take it wrong. Your posted images are way over saturated, and they don't need to be, they are good enough to stand up without this.
I have been involved in photography my whole long life, help give workshops, have good friends who are legends in photography, so I think I know what I am talking about.
Again, this is your RR, I will continue to enjoy it, and thank you for it, so please do not take offense.
I am from NY as well and spent many years as a young man riding the same areas you are doing now on my Norton cafe racers, back in the late '60's and early '70's.
BoxerPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #478
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerPaul View Post
Your posted images are way over saturated,
I have been involved in photography my whole long life, help give workshops, have good friends who are legends in photography, so I think I know what I am talking about.
Please PM this sort of thing. Joe might honestly get something from the post, but those of us who love his work may find your assessment a bit uh.... judgmental of our tastes. Despite your obvious credentials, this is your opinion.
And you know what they say about opinions?
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #479
Hondarider
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
Sitting here at a lodge on Lake George and wishing I had brought my motorcycle on this vacation trip. I'm sure the wife and kids wouldn't notice if I took off for a few days to see some of the truly spectacular scenery in this thread. Really great pictures. I'll be coming back solo in the near future.
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #480
BoxerPaul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Please PM this sort of thing. Joe might honestly get something from the post, but those of us who love his work may find your assessment a bit uh.... judgmental of our tastes. Despite your obvious credentials, this is your opinion.
And you know what they say about opinions?
you are right, my apologies, and a note that I still enjoy this a lot!
BoxerPaul is offline   Reply With Quote