Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
txplants OP
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Dr. View Post

IMO, Arkansas State Parks are as good as anywhere in the country and I'm very proud of them. To me, they are the crown jewel of Arkansas.

Sounds like you enjoyed your trip.
Mike
I can see why, great park facilities and staff! And yes... I enjoyed myself immensely!
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
txplants OP
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
Great RR so far!

My wife & I love seeking out new parks and going on big hikes, and Petit Jean SP will be right on our route for our fall trip down to Key West...so this RR is perfect timing!!

Beautiful scenery!!
You’ll love it! I hope you can spend at least a few days there!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 244
It's more like "Petty Gene".

I worked in Tifton, Ga for a year and couldn't figure out where the hell All Benny was located that the locals kept taking about. It finally clicked.....Albany, GA.
Mike
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #34
txplants OP
Pastafarian

Days end...

Stopped on the way back to the campground to admire more of the CCC’s handiwork. Craftsman to the highest degree to be sure.

It was after four by the time I got back to my campsite. Gave my bike a once over and checked tire pressure for my departure in the AM. Returned to my book for awhile and made dinner.

As the sun set, I began to prep for a camp fire. Lounged comfortably by the fire for hours, listening to someone strum a guitar a do a fine job of it, the happy sing song voices of kids, the lonely calls of an occasional small flock of Canada geese…

My Facebook status reads… “Enjoying the stars and a perfect campfire”.

Mementos of a perfect day.

txplants screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 07:10 AM
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #35
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Nice

Thanks my wife has told me she has always wanted to visit Petite Jean. I better not forget this one.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #36
txplants OP
Pastafarian

I was still undecided what route I would take home when I turned in Tuesday night. I knew I wanted to ride state highway 7, and I wanted to pass through Hot Springs. In the morning, after breakfast and breaking camp, I decided to back track to Ola, and pick up Hwy. 7 there and take it all the way to Interstate 30 near Arkadelphia, from there I would take a direct route back to Caddo Lake State Park to spend the night.

I have few pictures of my ride from Ola to Hot Springs on Hwy. 7 because it was a glorious road and I just didn’t want to slow down!

I made a pit-stop at the National Forest campground…

…and one other to catch a roadside shot…

…but otherwise just enjoyed the ride until I rolled in to Hot Springs and stopped at the first eatery that looked promising. Lox and bagel and an oversized homemade cinnamon roll.

After a nice break, I was back in the saddle and really didn’t slow down until I reached the state line.

I was sad to leave Arkansas behind. But, I can come back, and I was headed to Caddo and was looking forward to another night there.

My routine; check in and find my site, back in…

…unload…

…tent goes up, gear goes in, relax…

Thursday morning I headed back to Houston and experienced the only mishap during an otherwise perfect trip. South of the town of Livingston I felt a slight jar and sudden declaration as I was topping an overpass. By the time I got off the road and came to a stop the rear tire was completely flat, and upon inspection I found a gash about an inch long. I’m not set up to patch a tire from the inside, so I gave a plug a try. Inserted the plug with an ample coating of cement…

Waited about ten minutes, and then connected my little Slime pump and put it to work.

It held! I carried on at a cautious pace to a BMW dealer in South Houston to make good on my tire warranty.

Stripped the bike and piled my gear on the showroom floor, and while it was and service I browsed and began to imagine how an F800GS might look parked next to my R.

In less than two hours I was headed home on a new Metzeler Z8, quite content and feeling restored from spending Spring Break with Petit Jean.

txplants screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 12:07 PM
Old 03-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #37
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by txplants View Post
My neighbor is from Arkansas, and she schooled me on the correct pronunciation… something like “Pedda gene”… right?
Petit in French is Small or Little. Pronounced Pee Teet Jean is Pronounced Jon like combining J and on together.

as the story refers to the small girl that dressed as a cabin boy and got away with it intil she took sick.

After a little bit cutting up with the Rangers , every time they saw me , they would yell at me Pee teet Jon . with a thumbs up.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #38
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Petit in French is Small or Little. Pronounced Pee Teet Jean is Pronounced Jon like combining J and on together.

as the story refers to the small girl that dressed as a cabin boy and got away with it intil she took sick.

After a little bit cutting up with the Rangers , every time they saw me , they would yell at me Pee teet Jon . with a thumbs up.
If you ask for the Pee teet Jon in Arkansas folks will point you to the small outhouse in the back. That may be the proper French way of pronouncing the name but it will confuse the Hillbillies 'round here.
Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #39
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Great report, txplants! Thanks for sharing.
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #40
ChazW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Pronounced Petty Jean

Hey, I'm an Arkansas transplant living in Kansas City. I get down to Arkansas usually twice a year and always try to make it to Petit Jean mountain. My absolute favorite trail is the Seven Hollows trail. A hollow is what old time southerners pronounced as "Holler", or gorge. The seven hollows has tremendously cool rock formations, like canyons and even a rock amphitheater (the Grotto).

Great Place!! Well worth the trip by itself.
1975 Honda CB500T
ChazW is offline   Reply With Quote