Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,016
In my five airheads I have about $15,000. I have another $4000 in spare engines, tires, a transmission, parts, and special tools.

Just under $20K. My GSA was more than that new.

To get all my airheads in running order I will probably spend another $5K.

If I were to sell everything I would probably get about $16K. That's a net loss of $8K. I can live with that.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 626
( All in $Aus )

My LT ... bought for $5k ... then proceed upgrading electricals , lights , shockies and of course adding a 20 speaker sound system to it . Whilst I have put a few grand into that project ... it was far cheaper than developing a Drug and Alcohol dependency being a 24/7 sole parent in a small country town for nearly two years.

RS was a bargain at $3500 ... and a set of tyres , self service and a top box added ... has seen me well over the past 20 000 km's ( actually I save nearly $3000 riding it to the airport instead of driving the car for work )

R90S ... Well it has always been my dream bike ... paid a tad more than I wanted ... but less than market value ... New 3/4 added which cost more than my lounge room furniture .. but hey ... my kids are jumping all over my bike ( yet ). Its not a concourse bike ... and thats the way it will remain ... because other wise I will fall into that trap of being afraid to ride.

New projects arriving today ... I will have to work out what I am going to do with them.

But regardless of cost .. my bikes are far cheaper than me going into therapy
Old 07-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,640
Every airhead I have ever purchased needed about $2K worth of stuff. Over 7 different ones that seems to be about my normal.

Marc
Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Is that my wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtrackplanet View Post
I realize this question can be considered vague for any reason to make comparisons, but I'm extremely curious to learn what range of money is spent on airhead projects.

Knowing there's a million variables to be considered (owners mechanical skill level, bike model/condition, type of upgrades/modifications, etc, etc.) I'd still love to hear what your stories are...

What did you start off with? How much of the project did you work on yourself vs. a service shop, how much have you spent in parts, service, customizations, labor, etc.? Feel free to include pictures of your bike!

I'm about to buy my first airhead and just interested to hear different stories. Thanks to anyone who shares!
It could be her in disguise..........show yourself !!!

:)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern View Post
I find it's best for the heart not to keep track of such things as costs.
You got that right.
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 808

A ground up rebuild, no expense spared. Cost far too much. I have 7 Airheads in the garage at the moment and many spares.
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Cost? don't remember what I paid for it years ago. I'm doing a complete redo from bare frame up. purposely do not keep a record of what it is costing me. When I am done, if I had the money I will spend, I will without a doubt have spent more than what it would sell for if I did sell it, which I will not. It's a '71, I've had it since '73 or so and will probably have it until I croak Overall it is good and cheap therapy
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,066
Mine wasn't a project initially, I made it that way by breaking shit and running it into the ground. It has never been down for longer than a week since it's the only 2 wheeler I own. Initially paid 2500, shipped it for 500, probably have over 6 K in it. That is after buying it in '07 and putting an average of 11k miles on it every year.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #24
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
I got my current airhead when my father passed away. I rode it and rode it and finally I had a serious issue so I put it up. I recently resurrected it and I think all told probably about $2K. But spending little bits here and there, so the wife doesn't bat an eye, besides she is busying buying fabric for quilting projects so she doesn't notice so much.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #25
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Ground up, nuts and bolt restoration, new just about everything - in the neighborhood of $6,000. 99% of the labor done by me, of course, so not much labor cost. I got the bike for free, and consider the cost a steal considering the end result and how much I'm enjoying the bike.

Went from this:

To this:

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 978
My first airhead was a '79 R100S. I still know where the bike is and who owns it. At one time I got to $12k on what I had spent on the bike and repairs. Bear in mind that bike was in great shape cosmetically and not crashed. I spent a lot on professional help that at this stage of the game I wouldn't have to. I'm perfectly fine with every nickel I've spent. All total I've had 5 airheads (still have two, although one is available) and I'd guess my total bill would be around $22k and I still own 2 bikes :)

I like airheads. Hope to never be without one.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #27
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
First off,I love my airheads.I consider them all projects.That's why my R90S is on the block this weekend @ Mid Ohio.Need$for the next one.Lots of $ is my answer.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #28
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,600
That's a good one.

I don't really know. I don't keep records or even a pile of receipts.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
offtrackplanet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
That's a good idea of what you'll have in it.. Here's the thing- you can buy a good, running bike for less than your budget. Plan on a few hundred for things like tires, tubes and a FULL service to get you aquainted with the bike. The rest spent on the bike is in yearly maintenance, preventative maintenance, upgrades, wish lists etc.. On my '77 R100RS, the buy-in was $3K. I put $500.00 in battery, oil, tires etc and rode it for almost a year (as my primary bike).. before I needed to do another $500.00 to it. Then came the added parts, the Billet triple clamp, etc.
Basically, what I'm rambling about is to buy a decent runner and build it up slowly.

Where in Cincy are you?
Ron, that's how I envision building up my first airhead...I'm trying to find one that's very mechanically sound I can start riding right away with just the minimal maintenance and upgrade/customize as I go along. I got my eye on a '78 R100/7 at the moment going for $3k that seems to be running well and has been fairly well maintained.

I live around OTR/Downtown in Cincinnati.
offtrackplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
offtrackplanet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Ground up, nuts and bolt restoration, new just about everything - in the neighborhood of $6,000. 99% of the labor done by me, of course, so not much labor cost. I got the bike for free, and consider the cost a steal considering the end result and how much I'm enjoying the bike.
That's awesome, it's a beauty!
offtrackplanet is offline   Reply With Quote