User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
M1Tanker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Recommendations Needed for Trip from Germany to Vence, France

I need your recommendations/suggestions.

I have a conference in Saint Paul de Vence, France from 29 July to 2 August. Im currently looking for a place to stay in Vence, France for the week of the conference. Im planning departing Aschaffenburg, Germany on 25 July and riding through the western Alps on the way down. I plan on riding through the western Alps on the return route.

Do you have any suggestions for the following?
- routes down and back
- passes to ride through
- lodging in route
- tires (I have a 2008 R1200GSA. I have Metzeler Tourances on now and in good condition. Are Heidenau K60 Scouts recommended?)
- anything else

Thanks.
M1Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Tanker View Post
I need your recommendations/suggestions.

I have a conference in Saint Paul de Vence, France from 29 July to 2 August. I’m currently looking for a place to stay in Vence, France for the week of the conference. I’m planning departing Aschaffenburg, Germany on 25 July and riding through the western Alps on the way down. I plan on riding through the western Alps on the return route.

Do you have any suggestions for the following?
- routes down and back
- passes to ride through
- lodging in route
- tires (I have a 2008 R1200GSA. I have Metzeler Tourances on now and in good condition. Are Heidenau K60 Scouts recommended?)
- anything else

Thanks.
For starters, go to Baden-Baden and pick up the highway 500 all the way into Switzerland. Then join the autoroutes (boring but a time saver, legally you need to buy a vignette to ride the autoroutes) down to Wassen, just north of Andermatt. Take the Sustenpass west to the junction east of Meiringen, turn south and cross the Grimsel Pass. Head toward Brig and continue west-bound down to Martigny in the sw corner of Switzerland. Go over the Pass of Forclaz to Chamonix, continue to Megeve, France, and pick up this bad boy http://www.losapos.com/great_alpine_road all the way south. It'll take you a minumum of two days. You wouldn't be disappointed if you had to do the return on the same route.

For lodging, start looking by mid-afternoon because this is high season. Train stations in larger towns often have a tourist office that can help with finding a room, there are lots of B&Bs and small hotels. Andermatt is a good place to stop if convenient.

The Route des Grandes Alpes can eat your tires if you're aggressive. If you're not aggressive, you may be on the wrong roads.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 410
Unless you really, really want to, you'll probably never leave asphalt. I've had Tourance (without the EXP) on my GS and liked them on tarmac in the Alps. They should last the trip. The EXP version is intended to offer more grip, but less mileage.
Right now I'm through my 1st K60s at the rear. I can't say exactly, but guess they lasted a tiny bit less. They offer enough grip for gravel, but are significanly worse on wet tarmac. So for pure asphalt, I'd go with the Tourance.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
M1Tanker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
RTLover and pip_muenster.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
M1Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote