User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Eek That was a bit close!

Nicely told tale, Jamie. Now we wait for the "official" scrutiny and post mortem

Cheers,
Allan
Old 06-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
Great write up. Welcome to the insanity!

Here's a shot of my VStrom's cockpit on the way home from last year's Cape Fear 1000:

An informed rider is a happy rider
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
lucky520
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
That is a great report. Very encouraging. W
lucky520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Thanks for sharing your ride report. I felt like I was riding shotgun with you while reading it. Looking forward to your last installment.
IBA #28709
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,716
An interesting aspect of motorcycle rallying is that you don't know how everyone else is doing until the very end. I felt good about my ride. My route was solid. I didn't make any major errors during the ride, and I had a little inside information from Jim when he called and said that I was doing very well. But maybe everyone else did too. Did I win, or did I come in last? I have no idea.

Immediately following the rally, despite my longing for a cold beer and juicy steak, I had to score. The scoring for this rally is electronic, and once you have the hang of it, goes pretty quickly. Through a website interface, you put in the bonus number, your time and odometer reading for that bonus, then upload the photo. I could do each one in probably less than a minute. Since I'd done around 30 bonuses, this process took me around 30 minutes, plus a few minutes to get set up and to double-check my work.

The room was a mess of tired men and a few women hunkered down over laptops and paperwork.

(Photos taken from Jim Puckett's Smugmug:)

And then dinner. Again, more photos from Jim's Smugmug.

The staff volunteers were busy tallying points and verfying the top scores. After dinner came the Awards Banquet.

First Jim recognized those of us in the Novice Class. He expressed his surprise at how well we all did, even among the expert riders, given our three hour disadvantage. I placed first with 2315 points, Josh and Kirstin and Paul tied for second with 2065 points. I flipped a coin to determine the standings. Josh went home with the second place plaque, Kirstin and Paul took third. I was amazed at how well the two-up couple did during the ride. I'd have had a hard time with someone on the back, not to mention how someone on the back of my bike would have fared. Jack was only 100 points from third place with 1965.

Then the big dogs. There were 29 riders in the expert class. Jim started by pointing out another tie, this time for fourth place, Kreis Weigel and Gene Hollar each scored 2390 points. In third place, Cameron Sanders with 2415. Second place to Karl Snell, who won last year's rally, had 2440 points. Ken Meese, the guy I thought hadn't prepared very well, towered over the field with 2715 points. Ken Meese won by 275 points, and the next four guys were within 50 points of each other. It was an amazing performance.

The most impressive number was that of the 33 riders, we'd ridden about 50,000 miles and had zero incidents to report. There was, of course, my meeting with the police officer, and I heard about one other rider getting a speed award. And one guy dropped his Goldwing in a parking lot, but for all those miles, we had essentially a perfect record.

After the awards ceremony most of the group left. People had to be home for work the next day I suppose. A few of us hung out in the ballroom. Winner Ken Meese quickly became the center of the conversation as he cycled through his photos on his Mac and described each of the bonuses he'd visited and his other techniques for scoring so much. I was initially planning to make the several hour ride home in the evening, but soon realized I was far too fatigued to get back on the bike and put in even more miles. Ken and I agreed to split a room.

Though Ken and I were both pretty tired, and we both had to get on the road the next day--he was on his way to the east coast--we stayed up a couple more hours talking about riding. He told me a bit about his experience in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally, and his winning ride at the Arkansas SPANK rally, which was without GPS.

In the morning I walked with Ken out to have a look at his bike. (Pic from Jim Puckett's Smugmug)

It's a rallying machine with three GPSs, radar detector, calculator, custom tank bag with map pocket and roll chart, dual hydration system (he carries water and iced tea), and pens velcroed to every nook and cranny on the fairing. I was impressed. Oh, and for this rally he experimented with running a car tire on the back.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
Jafo28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Congrats on the win! Very good showing for your first time out! Meese is a rally stud, I hope you were able to gleen some info from him during the time you spent with him. Again, well done!
Jafo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #22
Tinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Fantastic performance! You should be very proud. I would say that you had a SUPER rally for a SUPER cause!

Ride em if you got em!

Tinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #23
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,313
Thumb Congrats!

As a "Novice" LD rider myself, (I've ridden in two and will do a 12 Hr Rally in July) I hung on every word and am very impressed by your level of preparation.

If you've caught the LD "bug" there are plenty of other LD Rallies throughout the year, including the "Void" and the "Minuteman 1000". It sounds like you'd do well in any of them...

Congrats!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #24
greginky818
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Jamie,
Really enjoyed the write up, I was on the yellow wing pulling out of springfield. I'm sure that we will meet again these rallies are addicting.
greg
greginky818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #25
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Thumb Congratulations

..on both your win and this excellent report

Now, let us see if you can keep away from the Rally Scene and the IBA in particular!

Thanks for taking the time to put this one up - most enjoyable.

Cheers
Allan
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 AM   #26
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
GREAT finish!

See you in Lynchburg, VA for The Void
in October?
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #27
jc_puckett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Great write up Jamie !!! Needless to say ... great virgin rally plan and execution.
jc_puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #28
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,307
Thanks Jamie! Great report, and great tips. I'll be re-reading it before my rally. Yes, I think Imma do it!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #29
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts View Post
Thanks Jamie! Great report, and great tips. I'll be re-reading it before my rally. Yes, I think Imma do it!

I appreciate the comments. Let me know how your rally goes!

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote