User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #31
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
7/17/2013:Burns, OR to Salem, OR

This was the final leg of my trip to the BMW rally to be held over the weekend. The total GPS mileage here was 4,148 whereas the estimate from my pre-flight planning was 4,375. Pretty close. There’s lots more to come...This was only the first leg of the longer trip.

As the ride started early, the temps were cool and got colder. I had to stop along the road and add a layer.

I stumbled onto the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument and stopped to visit.

This picture is from the Visitor’s Center at Spotwalla #23.

While there I met other BMW riders enroute to the rally. Returning to the highway I joined an impromptu ‘congo line’ of several other enroute riders and we rode loosely together for a while. Taking a recommendation from the gas station attendant I had lunch at Dad’s Place in Prineville, OR. Gas is expensive here, $4179/gallon for the 91 octane. Is that because the gas has to be pumped by an attendant?

Along the way

The day’s ride at 342 miles and 54 mph average speed was scenic and had some technical parts too. All in all, a very nice route which had been recommended to me as a change to my original route from Burns by another customer at the BMW dealership yesterday.

I’ll be here in Salem until Sunday when I move north to Maple Valley, WA, to stay with with friends met several years ago at the Nakusp, BC rally. We will jointly ride to Republic, WA for another rally weekend after this one, and independently arrive at Nakusp again for the BeeCee Beemers rally in mid-August. Between the rallies I’m planning to visit another friend in Montana and run up to Yellowknife, NT to complete the northern leg of this trip.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #32
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Local Rally Ride, 7/19/2013

Met Meg and Doug at an agreed rendezvous point at 8:30AM for a ride to the coast from the Salem BMW Rally site that Doug had planned the night before. It consisted of several segments which were all great. Some ups and downs, some turns, and some straight and level work. Being naturally cold blooded, I had put on my heated vest at the hotel. We stopped shortly after launching so that Meg and Doug could also don theirs. As we approached the coast the temperature dropped to 49 degrees. Later, the TV Wx showed a High temp at Newport Beach, OR of only 61 degrees for the day. Nice! for mid-July. On the return inland the temps began to rise again to an uncomfortable level.

We took several pictures to verify my coast-to-coast trip and serve as reminders of the day. Meg and Doug had dinner plans and so I proceeded to the rally site, arriving at about 5PM, and drifted around the vendor area before returning to the hotel for the night. The day’s ride was about 225 miles long. No ride is planned for 7/20, and on 7/21 I will reposition with Meg and Doug to their home in suburban Seattle.

Coast toCoast, West Coast

Newport, OR Bridge

I’m saddened today to hear of the untimely death of a long-time friend’s brother, and of a serious car/motorcycle accident involving another friend and a woman who was texting while driving.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island

cberry screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 04:44 PM
Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #33
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

July 21st, 2013: Salem to Maple Valley

Meg, Doug, and I had breakfast at a Denny’s and then rode I 5 up to central Washington before getting off the freeway and taking some very interesting back roads to our destination. Passing through downtown Portland we were slowed by numerous emergency vehicles attending an auto fire on the side of the road. The heavy, acrid smoke had slowed traffic to a crawl, and there appeared to be no other vehicle involved.

Antique Fords at Eatonville

Mt. Rainier from SR 161 at Clear Lake

The backroads were terrific. Lunch at one of their favorite stops was terrific. The views of Mt. Rainier were terrific, and...the weather, terrific! We will be resetting our equipment (doing laundry), and other logistic tasks before heading on to the next rally this coming weekend in Republic, WA.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #34
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Great report! Keep riding safe!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #35
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
awesome read right here!
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #36
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

July 23rd, 2013: Local in the Seattle Area

Doug and I fueled the bikes for Thursday’s ride to Republic, WA, early this morning and then went off for another form of transportation fun. Doug’s BMW Z3 M coupe took us to the Renton Airport where we pulled his beautiful Vee-Tail Beech Bonanza out of its hanger for the customary $100 hamburger...a flight to another nearby airport for lunch.

Getting the equipment out of the barn

Short final to Jefferson County

We could see Mt. Baker up to the Northeast

After landing at the Jefferson County Airport we discovered that the restaurant had had a recent kitchen fire and was not open for business, so we were off again to another airport, Arlington Airport where we had a delicious lunch. After lunch we headed south, back to Renton on a direct course which took us east of downtown Seattle and Lake Union. The atmospheric haze limited our view somewhat, but the Seattle Space Needle was still visible and so was Mt. Rainier.
Mt. Rainier from 3000 Ft MSL
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #37
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

July 24th and 25th: Maple Vally to Republic, WA

July 25th was a day devoted to getting ready for the ride to Republic, WA the next day.

Early on the 25th we set out in chilly temps and clear air. The ride went well. We made one stop to cool off and fuel in a small town named Pateros along the shores of Lake Pateros.
Break along the Lake

The day's ride took about 8 hours and 300 miles in some hot temperatures. When we arrived at our motel they had no reservation in my name, but were able to accommodate me by putting me in the “Presidential Suite”. Ok by me! I found out later that they had had someone with the exact same name the prior week and thought that had been my reservation because “There couldn’t possibly be two people with the same name two weekends in a row”. It was a nice mix-up.

My "Suite" was upstairs, just under the fancy cupola

Sunset from the balcony of the Suite
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #38
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

July 26th, 2013: Salem,OR Local Ride

Today we had breakfast up the street at 8AM and were ready to ride by 9:30. Meg, Doug, and I were joined by a friend of Doug's named Curtis on a wee-Strom. Curtis led the ride and we went on back roads (paved) up nearly to the Canadian Border. We saw grasslands, rugged rock formations and mountains, including snow covered peaks in the distance. We didn’t stop for pictures until we reached an old schoolhouse which had been converted to a museum in Molson, WA.

The school dates from 1902 and still has some early graduates serving as docents. The furnishings and memorabilia were very interesting to me, and I saw several pieces that I still have from my grandparents.

The "Old Molson" Ghost Town

After visiting the school Meg and Doug took a different route to the rally and had a minor mishap, running into each other at a stop sign. Both bikes were dropped and significant damage occurred to the saddlebags and some of the other plastic parts. They were both fully protected by the gear they were wearing. ATGATT
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

July 27th, 2013: Local from Salem, OR

When you go to a motorcycle rally what do you do? Ride! Another nice day with cool temps at the beginning of the ride followed by a nice warm-up to the high 80’s. I was riding today with lady from Vancouver, BC, Phyllis, who I had met the year before on my ride from Seattle to Key West. She is a friend of Doug & Meg and had been attending the same rally that we were that year. She has just purchased a used R1200RT of the same vintage as mine and was getting used to it. Nevertheless, she was an accomplished rider and we had a grand ride.

First we rode over Sherman Pass, about 5500 ft MSL, then we got back to near sea level and rode along the Columbia River and the F.D. Roosevelt Lake, through a Native American Reservation and back to the rally site.

Columbia River upstream of Grand Coolie Dam

Phylis and some very large cut-thru rocks

And, finally, Some of the bikes at the rally in Salem
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #40
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

July 28th, Republic WA to Clearwater BC

The day started out cool and clear, and stayed that way all day. I cleared customs about 7:10 AM with no delays and started my Canadian Adventure. I had left the 100 degree days and the heat of the States in the States and was entering some of the most beautiful scenery on our continent. Little tiny pictures do it no justice.

The ride to Clearwater, BC, my overnight stop, was 338 miles for the day. I’m trying to reconstruct the ride on today, August first, and am having trouble remembering that day or the days that followed, 7/29,30, and 31, because I saw so many impressive sights and had little time or opportunity to organize pictures. Arriving at my destination for each night left me totally beaten. Too tired to anything but sleep. Those four days totaled 1,571 miles, and my 75 year old body is recovering today. I won’t start home for a few days, and by then should be ready to go. I noted Mike’s reference to another rider’s trip up this way...Those motel prices are a little out of date: Super’s now up to about $200 a night. When I stayed in Whitecourt the other night the cost was about $145. The high prices are what the market will bear...Oil roughnecks and miners are what drives up the price.

Good luck and Providence are with me. My newest best friends are Al, and Faye and Faye’s brother Dave who lives in Newfoundland. They’ve made unsolicited offers to stay with them in their houses while I’m up this way! My good fortune is Super 8’s loss, all courtesy of the ADV website.

Here are some of the sights along the way on the 28th. Identifying them and their location will have to await another day.

The mountains near Osoyoos BC

A little further up the road

And, Evidence of Past Forest Fires

I haven't commented on the forest fire evidence I've seen so far, but there has been an incredible amount of it, some very recent, and some from years ago.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 07:10 PM Reason: correct name
Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #41
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

July 29th, Clearwater to Whitecourt AB via Jasper

Today’s ride from Clearwater to Whitecourt was 391 miles long, through more beautiful territory. ( I get tired of repeating myself, but it’s all beautiful.) Here are some pictures.

Coffee Break Time

Another shot from the same town

Along the Road

MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #42
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

July 30th, Whithecourt to High Level

The ride from Whitecourt to High Level was 380 miles long and consumed most of the day, as has been the case for all of these rides. I got to meet one of my newest best friends and spend the night with his family. I went through some rain, and when I got to High Level the bike looked like it had been playing in a big mud puddle. The intensive oil and other mineral exploration has created massive amounts of road mud. No pictures along the way today.

My new best friend Al and some of his toys
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 08-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #43
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

July 31st: High Level to YELLOWKNIFE

High Level to Yellowknife, 462 miles and my ultimate destination. As I moved further and further North I noticed how the trees and other vegetation were getting smaller and smaller. The evergreens became very tall in proportion to the length of their branches, but still only 20-40 feet high, with branches only a foot or so long. The temps were cool to cold on the bike and there were few places to stop or get off the road. Squatty cumulous clouds were forming only 1,000-2,000 feet above ground with very limited vertical development. All in all, a very nice day. Along the way I passed millions of acres of beautiful yellow crops like these...

Along the was, a sign showing the kilometers to go

Peace River is a major city along the way

Here's their hero

And, a view of the city from the south

At my first gas stop in NWT I was introduced to the Black Flies! They were attracted to all the bugs on the bike. Lots of bugs, and mud. Gasoline? I got what was available and never felt uncomfortable about the remaining amount in the tank.There is a major Shell station in Fort Providence with mid-grade gas. Good food is available at “Winny’s”, on the West side of the road before Enterprise.

A stop at the border to NWT, “60th Parallel”, visitors center is very worthwhile. Nice displays of local stuff, including a Polar Bear, and info on the Territory and the road ahead.

The new (last year) bridge across the narrows at Fort Providence is an impressive structure and serves to succeed the ferry which was unusable during ice formation in the fall and breakup in the spring. No ferry? No way to continue North.

Riding through the Mackenzie Bison Sanctuary I was able to a small herd of bison.

I was warned about the last 100 KM into Yellowknife. The road is the only way in or out, excepting airplanes. No rail service. So, the road takes a beating, which is exacerbated by the harsh nature of the environment. The road could be called the ‘roller-caster road’ because of the extensive frost-heaves. NWT has 2 seasons, just like Alaska, Winter, and Construction. There were a lot of stretches of fresh gravel, and almost every pick-up has a cracked windshield from the gravel.

I met my new best friends after the long ride, Faye and Ken. We chatted only a little before it was ‘lights out’ for me. It had been a long day and I was bushed.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 04:30 PM
Old 08-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #44
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by cberry View Post
The ride from Whitecourt to High Level was 380 miles long and consumed most of the day, as has been the case for all of these rides. I got to meet one of my newest best friends and spend the night with his family. I went through some rain, and when I got to High Level the bike looked like it had been playing in a big mud puddle. The intensive oil and other mineral exploration has created massive amounts of road mud. No pictures along the way today.

My new best friend Al and some of his toys

Good to have you stop in I hope that you are enjoying the north country, we will swap more stories when you come back through.
Al.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #45
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I just picked this up. I live in Melbourne Beach. I’ll be watching. Stay safe!
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote