Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #241
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Lets see, where was I… OK, yes, the call!

Well, it was not a call but rather a message on my cell phone.

My Unadilla teammate was out, injured after falling off his mountain bike. Bad enough so as there was no way he could hang onto a 465 around Unadilla.

The disappointment in his voice came through clearly in his message so I decided not to give him a hard time about it (I coulda killed em ), ah well.

My problem now was that I was on my own. I was concerned about this in case I should fall off and hurt myself. The plan for us to camp at the track was also out the window. I was looking forward to that too given Unadilla's rep as the Woodstock ( see photo from ~1977) of MX, what a bummer.

I shifted over to prepping my own bike but a few days before the big weekend I was close to calling the whole thing off .

But on Wednesday night my luck changed big time. My wife finally got a call from someone willing to cover for her at work (not easy) and she wanted to go !

I booked a hotel in Oneonta that night, thats right, a hotel! The Oneonta Hampton Inn turned out to be a nice place. Clean with a friendly staff (the pit tootsie cares about stuff like that! ).

Anyway, by Friday morning we were loaded up and on our way! Mileage wise, the ride to Unadilla was not much greater than where I used to live on Long Island. Traffic was much easier though with total drive time about 5.5 hours (no tolls either!).

We got there about 2:00pm Friday afternoon. I remember the excitement building as we approached the track. I was looking for the old bank barn on the side of route 8 that marks the track entry. When we pulled in, Led Zeppelin was playing on the track loud speakers .
It was great to be back !

The barn,

I was warned to watch out for these guys…

… but they didn’t seem to be there this year !

Still, turnout was high and there was plenty of other good stuff to see. Let’s have a look around shall we?

One of the most impressive setups had to be the EZ JIMs Team Bull outfit.
The star rider is of course Guy Cooper who at 51 was simply phenomenal.

Here is the Team Bull fleet of Bultaco’s

with trailer that is towed by this restored bus! Thumbs up for pit tootsie too !

I met Ronnie at Irish Valley. Here he is again with his Kawasaki’s

And this is Ronnie’s leg (injured before Unadilla).

There were Maico’s aplenty,

This Bill Eyler / East Coast Maico was raced to victory by Dakota Kessler on Sunday. It was sold after the race, perhaps to one of these gentlemen?

Dakota Kessler raced many classes through the weekend. Here he is on a Honda

Mickey Kessler's Yamaha

Some more photos from walking around the pits

I snapped this picture just before the big smile!

Remember Joe from Irish Valley? He raced the cross country event on Friday.

John also raced the country event on this nice KTM. Said it was muddy and I believe him!

This team came in from Florida

One of several Pentons in attendance,

More Pentons . John and Jack Penton gave out the awards for the cross country event, how cool is that?

more to come!

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 01:17 PM
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #242
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 429
Kevin, If you haven't you need to play along at some of the Cross Country events. For your entry fee you get a lot more riding in and it warms you up for the MX events. Generally the CC courses are not that technical for an experianced rider like you and the big YZ's seem do do well even in the tighter stuff. When the terrain opens up folks will give you plenty of room when that 465 starts a rockin'

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #243
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Kevin, If you haven't you need to play along at some of the Cross Country events. For your entry fee you get a lot more riding in and it warms you up for the MX events. Generally the CC courses are not that technical for an experianced rider like you and the big YZ's seem do do well even in the tighter stuff. When the terrain opens up folks will give you plenty of room when that 465 starts a rockin'

Hi Pete,

Yes, I agree about the riding time.

As you know, they had a cross country race at MX Rewind on Friday but this wasn't in the cards for me as I could not get there in time will all the goings on.

In terms of entry fees, a weekend like this certainly adds up. I was expecting this event to cost more than typical.

I do have to give credit to AHRMA and the track owners for the hard work in putting together a rather special event. For me it was worth it and probably not too different to the cost of a beach stay, at least in Maryland, NJ and NY!

Here is the breakdown,
Gate fee for two adults = $80
AHRMA PVMX on Sunday=$60
Promoter VMX =$50 91 (1 moto sat, 1 moto sun)

So that is $190 for me to race and wife to watch.

Then we stayed 3 nights in Hotel = 3*150=$450

So $640 without food, gas for truck and bikes!

Sat AHRMA races ran long so they cut the promoter class from 5 to 3 laps. They also cut all the Sunday AHRMA classes to 3 laps as some rough weather was rolling in. So a fair amount of money for not that many laps.

Still there was a lot more than you typically see. I found the Legends events pretty neat and Guy Cooper and others pulled out the stops in the vintage classes. Here come some more pictures!

It was neat to see what could be done on a Bultaco.

The pits and surrounding areas were like a motorcycle show in and of themselves.

I unexpectedly ran into old friends from years and years ago, that sure was fun!

My wife Renee had a good time too (especially on sunday!). Here she is with Mickey Kessler (King of Englishtown) on left and Sonny Defeo, now 60 (looks great!), on right. Sonny raced for Ghost Motorcycles, his dad Sal's shop, and with support from the CZ factory. I am pretty sure that Sonny won the very 1st motocross event sanctioned by the AMA.

Renee's brother Joe raced free CZ's given to him by the CZ importer on Long Island. Joe rode with Sonny on occasion. Renee also remembered Sonny and Sal from the Bridgehamton days back in the '70s. So fun chit-chat about old times.

But back to your point. If I go to MX Rewind next year I may try for cross country on Friday and AHRMA PVMX on Sunday.

Then I will just relax, chit chat and watch the VMX races on Sat.

Maybe you will be there next year? Maybe we will both do the cross country !

Kevin

Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #244
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,915
I had a customer in the shop this past week. He also said it was lotsa fun but pricey. Pretty much why I've stayed away from AHRMA. Can't afford it and rent.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #245
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
I had a customer in the shop this past week. He also said it was lotsa fun but pricey. Pretty much why I've stayed away from AHRMA. Can't afford it and rent.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Have to be somewhat selective in what you do these days as everything is expensive.

The flip side is I'm not getting any younger and may have already waited too long !

BTW, I didn't include the AHRMA license fee in the above, that's $75 now.

The cross country race I did last year was about $30 bucks and the club even hosted a lunch. Now that was a good deal !

Kevin

Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #246
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well now I've done it. I went and twisted my knee yesterday while working in the back of my property. At the moment I can't straighten my leg or put any weight on it as the cartilage seems to be out of whack .

Since I am confined to the couch till I figure out what to do, I thought I would continue with the Unadilla postings .

Especially as its about time I reported on my results don't you think?

This will have to be in two parts though, Saturdays promoter class report (not so good) and then Sundays AHRMA class result (better than expected!).

Before getting to all that. I wanted to spend a moment on race gear and on some other Unadilla pre-race preparation not discussed yet. Really, this is just an excuse to post more vintage MX photos I've been collecting!

As most of you know, Unadilla gained fame by hosting many of the early international races such as the Trans-Am events, the 250 World Grand Prix's and the Motocross des Nations.

Given this rich history, I thought it would be nice to bring an international retro flavor to the 50+ class I was targeting (like we were not retro enough!) by wearing vintage and vintage style race gear.

I admit that this was also partly driven by the theory of "cant teach old dogs new tricks". Hence my preference for Hi-Point boots and Scott goggles.

Anyway, while looking through old photos last Jan/Feb, my attention was drawn to these Camel Challenge period photos in particular. First up is Rodger DeCoster,

Guennady Moisseev (Zboishki Pravda !)

Brad Lackey and company

And more RD

And lets not forget the strong association the mighty YZ465 has with Marty Moates!

I had the Hi-Point boots & Moto Peak visor, now if I could just get one of those Camel bibs! And I kinda liked that LOP jersey too!

Haha, it's amazing what you can find on the internet if you look long enough!

So vintage gear + replica helmet + replica YZ465 factory bike = One replica Gran Prix racer ready for MX Rewind!

And it didn't stop there!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #247
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Kevin, do you have any idea who was on the number 32 Yamaha HL? 500 on Rogers left 4 pics up?

Hope your knee heals up quick!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #248
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Kevin, do you have any idea who was on the number 32 Yamaha HL? 500 on Rogers left 4 pics up?

Hope your knee heals up quick!

Yes, I am 99% sure it is Swede Bengt Aberg on the HL500. He was World Champ in 1969. I am guessing this photo is about 1977.

Here are a few more for you...

Thanks for the well wishes. I first tore ligaments in the knee at 16 racing at Englishtown . Been a bit tricky ever since.

Sometimes it "pops out" and then pops in right away. But it has been a day and a half now and doesn't feel too good. If it does slide back into place I can be walking again pretty quickly.

It locked up like this 12 years ago. I had go in and have some orthoscopic work done to fix it. I guess we'll see. At least the recovery was quick.

Too bad as I was having a good time riding the YZ yesterday. And for the record, I didn't re-injure it on the bike! That's my story anyway !

Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #249
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Nice! Thanks for the bonus pics!

Well, that sucks regarding your knee. Hopefully it will cooperate and go back where it belongs.
Isn't aging great! Easy to get hurt and slow to heal.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #250
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Kevin,

Sorry to hear about the knee. Diamond Dons is a little pricey too but not as bad as the MX Rewind at Unadilla. Normally I think the best AHRMA deal out there is the ISDTRR events. You get plenty of riding and socializing at those events. I'm lucky as those rides are often close to Arkansas. I planned to go to MA to this years ISDTRR event but bikes and cash had me pinned down financially. I figured the ISDTRR would run me about $2500 in expenses. Plus the rules for this year's ISDTRR bike requirements were to have working lights, registration, licensed bike, proof of insurance etc. Oh and you have to pass the modern bike sound test too. In short, a major PITA. I wasn't going to invest all that coin, effort, drive 1200 miles and then find out my bike doesn't pass the tech or sound test. So I decided to pass on pretty much the whole season and try again next year.

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, I bailed off a bike last month and landed hard on my shoulder. I have a MRI planned for 1 August.

TAT SHAK
Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #251
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,915
Sorry to hear about the knee. Don't feel bad.at least yours may get better.

I have compartmentalized osteoarthritis in both knees. The left one is just about shot. And my wonderful job provides no health care. And neither does Obamacare????
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #252
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Sorry to hear about the knee. Don't feel bad.at least yours may get better.

I have compartmentalized osteoarthritis in both knees. The left one is just about shot. And my wonderful job provides no health care. And neither does Obamacare????

Thanks for the note. I read about your condition. That does not sound like fun at all , part of the aging process I guess.

Although I have health insurance where I am, I have tried without luck to find pricing info for an exchange policy in Maryland. Couldn't find a darn thing. I dont think they will have this info until October. No ideal what it will cover either.

I did get back to the doc last night. MRI report shows,
- Complete ACL tear (old injury)
- Bucket handle tear medial meniscus
- Bucket handle or radial tear of lateral meniscus
- assorted other minor issues

The good news is he thinks he can trim away the torn cartilage as needed to get me up and running in short order. The ACL will not be repaired for now as I can live with the instability as I have for a long time. More complex options will be left on the table for a later time, like when I am too old to have fun!

So right now I have a 8/5/13 date with the scope. I would still like to try for Budds Creek in Oct if things work out, dont tell wife !

One other thing, since being on crutches, I have been surprised how many people I have met that are running around with artificial knees. They must be getting pretty good with that.

Anyway, I hope some options open up to you on your own condition... hang in there!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #253
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another YZ465 racer on ADVRIDER!

I got a note the other day from a guy we will call Frank.

Frank had a few questions regarding the 81 YZ465 he races. He included a photo of himself racing earlier this year in the post vintage +50 expert class before he broke his ribs and shoulder blade ( ouch).

I think this Frank guy looks like quite the "bad ass" . What do you guys think?

Get well Frank!

And feel free to chime in and tell us your real name and the rest of the story !

Kevin

Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #254
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

I would agree with the bad a$$ moniker!

Come on in Frank! We'd love to hear from you.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #255
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Boy that sure looks like a Table Top at Diamond Don's.

Yes?

TAT SHAK