Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #46
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
I ride in the dark, admitted I pick the warm dry nights.

I've hit more roo's daytime than I have at night, in fact I've hit none at night. Admitted, the risk/km from animals is probably higher at night, but it's not the certain death most motorcyclists in Oz seem to assume. When you factor in the lower speeds and lack of traffic it's likely not that much more dangerous than daytime.

FWIW: I think domestic animals in NZ (cows, sheep) were more of a risk.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #47
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
It's a while since I did a long night run on a bike but I have always loved riding at night and in the past have commonly waited until the sun went down if I had a big point-to-point run ahead on relatively well known roads. I used to find the dramatic thinning out of traffic and cops improved the experience for me.

Point of saying that is just that the OP's question reminded me of a recent 300-mile night-time car trip. I commented to my passenger that I didn't feel as comfortable as usual in that environment. Reflecting on it since, I am sure it was a result of my distance vision deteriorating.

Used to be proud of my perfect vision but I've worn reading glasses for about 10 years now. Past couple of years have noticed I see more detail on movie screens if I wear my trifocals (prescribed by an enthusiastic optometrist: I hadn't asked for them). Don't wear specs for driving because they seem to diminish my peripheral vision and all-round orientation.

But definitely have started losing definition on distant objects, and in poor light it's worse.

Peculiar thing is how that feels. I didn't think to myself, before reflecting on things, whoa, can't see as well as I used to. The reaction was much more: hmm, this doesn't feel quite as much fun as it used to; feels a bit dangerous, actually. Wonder why that would be. Maybe I'm a bit tired.
Many years ago I was not wearing glasses. There came a time where not needing glasses turned into sheer denial, and it coincided with the time when night driving just became much more unpleasant.

Especially in rain. I would have to concentrate hard, drive slower, and it was becoming stressful. Then I finally borrowed my brother's glasses to look at some stars, and that was it. I got glasses.

When I had them for a week, I drove back from snowboarding in heavy rain, in the dark. I suddenly realized that in fact, I felt as relaxed and comfortable as normally during daytime on an empty autobahn!

Of course then I was young, and diminishing night vision was not a topic yet.