Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #46
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,572
I was being somewhat flip in that statement. I agree, the two cultures are massively different. In the American sense, however, China is our new resource for cheap products, to the detriment of our own economy at times. Japan filled this function earlier.

I am more of a fan of Taiwanese manufacture than that of the mainland. I've owned a Taiwanese scooter , and more than a few Taiwanese machine tools. At the bottom end, they are of loathesome quality, but at the upper end, they can compete with products from anywhere. The SYM scooter I owned was manufactured to a very high standard, and proved absolutely reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
FWIW, China is not the new Japan.. having intimate knowledge of both cultures, the manufacturing principals are vastly different... and there are great friction between the two just base on those principles.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #47
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I'd buy one of those Honda Cubs if they made them here
If they made them here you couldn't (wouldn't) afford it.

I'll take it, Cat20.
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #48
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Cool2

Put about 37 miles on the Super cub clone, I grounded the left foot peg in corners, twice.
It's plenty of get up and go to leave cars behind from a stoplight.
It cruises nicely between 35-42 mph without feel of labored. 45-50 mph seems pretty easy, but the suspension really is the limiting factor to sustain that speed.

In efforts to reduce the exhaust heat and removing all the nuts and bolts to make sure they are greased properly;
I removed the exhaust from the SuperCub clone, sanded down the faux-chrome that is already peeling and gave it a coat of BBQ paint :

Maybe I will dig up some old ceramic wrap for the header later on.
I'd assume that this thing gets carb-icing pretty bad in the cold, maybe the header wrap would need to be removed.

Oh, I ditched the sidestand safety switch for another 1/4 lb. of weight saving.

Cat0020 screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 09:14 AM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #49
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I'd buy one of those Honda Cubs if they made them here
You know Ken this is where you could actually make a difference, as there are Hondas being made in Mexico, (...Remember the start of this thread?...) that are much better than anything presently being offered statewise.

since you seem to have 'connections' why not mention that it would be in our Country's best interest to maybe import and DOT and EPA approve these bikes, hell they're a lot closer shipping-wise. ( How far is Mexico compared to the western edge of the Pac-Rim..)

Just this stupid fucker's dos centavos..

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #50
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Gosh, that would be too complex. I mean, we gave China favored trading status, while we continue to treat Mexico like an unwelcome cousin.

Yamageek's suggestion makes good common sense. That's why it will probably not fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
You know Ken this is where you could actually make a difference, as there are Hondas being made in Mexico, (...Remember the start of this thread?...) that are much better than anything presently being offered statewise.

since you seem to have 'connections' why not mention that it would be in our Country's best interest to maybe import and DOT and EPA approve these bikes, hell they're a lot closer shipping-wise. ( How far is Mexico compared to the western edge of the Pac-Rim..)

Old 07-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #51
K-Chil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
It being from Mexico definitely makes it seem more obtainable, but I'm always up in arms with desirable bikes that aren't officially available in the US.

There is an enormous list of bikes not available here, that I would pick. The Honda Cub 110 tops the list, nearly, but so do a plethora of other Hondas and Japanese small-displacement bikes. When I was in the Philippines (Cebu and neighboring islands), the only "real" bikes I saw were being ridden by tourists and I think I only saw them once.

Small bikes in the same class as the Honda Super Cub (albeit, with more modern designs) were the norm. I even got to actually ride one (read: drive) with a side-car attached. Only a block or so, but it was neat. Note, neutral is on the bottom, not between first and second, over there.

But anyhow, until it's actually here, I don't want to get my hopes up on bikes like this.

As mentioned before I'm sure, the Taiwanese counter part is readily available to us. They manufactured the Cubs before Honda pulled out of Taiwan recently (before coming back in to make the Grom??). As a Tawainese-Yamaha rider, and someone who knows second hand that Kymcos never fail, I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact that it's made in Taiwan. ]

If I had it my way, I would get a CBR150R.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #52
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Even though I've had decent experience with my Chinese made vehicles, they are still a ways from the Japanese vehicles from the 60's.

My 2008 250cc Chinese scooter has turned over 14k mi. this year.

Other than flat tires, blown fuses and broken speedo/odometer, the scoot has been rock solid. Require minimal maintenance of air in tire, oil change, battery charge... beyond that just gas and go.

The CVT drivebelt and battery are still in decent shape, both OEM items, from 2008.

Though the materials are starting to show decay, the body plastics are starting to develop cracks from vibration, windshield has also developed a small crack that keeps getting bigger as I ride more.

FWIW, China is not the new Japan.. having intimate knowledge of both cultures, the manufacturing principals are vastly different... and there are great friction between the two just base on those principals.
Hey Cat, I expect you already know about this but I'll mention it just the same. You can stop that windshield crack by drilling a small hole at the end of it. I've done this on several windshields and it really works.

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #53
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post

Anyone have a contact person at Honda where I could make a deal

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #54
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak View Post

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #55
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,055
Seriously ken, if you really want a bike like this Honda check out the Symba.

Sym made cubs for Honda under license for 38 years. The bike is damn close if not equal to Honda quality. I just turned 2300 miles on mine and couldn't be happier. Parts and accessories availability, both dealer and after market is good and getting better.

Also check ride reports for underbonings RR. He and his wife put a pair of Symbas through all kinds of third world hell for better than 20,000 miles.

A lot of Symba information and a damn good read besides.

P.S. Even though I applaud your taste in bikes you're still a stupid fucker.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #56
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

My son's going to be of driving/riding age relatively soon, and I'm thinking that something in the Cub flavor will be his first machine. If the Cross Cub comes to these shores, that would be my first choice, although I wouldn't sneer at a good old CT90 or 110. I had excellent luck with a SYM, and would buy the brand again in a heartbeat. The quality was excellent. I'd like something of a little dirtier bent, though, although I suppose one could skin knobbies on the SYM. We rode plenty of dirt on Vespas with knobbies. Worked well, if you could get used to very little suspension.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #57
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit View Post
Seriously ken, if you really want a bike like this Honda check out the Symba.

Sym made cubs for Honda under license for 38 years. The bike is damn close if not equal to Honda quality. I just turned 2300 miles on mine and couldn't be happier. Parts and accessories availability, both dealer and after market is good and getting better.

Also check ride reports for underbonings RR. He and his wife put a pair of Symbas through all kinds of third world hell for better than 20,000 miles.

A lot of Symba information and a damn good read besides.

P.S. Even though I applaud your taste in bikes you're still a stupid fucker.
Underboning the world.I'm still trying to catch up on that thread.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #58
Beltho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I have to echo what others have said about the Symba. I've had mine just over a year now with about 2300 miles. It's a great bike with no issues at all. I wish Honda would bring the Cub back to the US, but until they do the Symba is a great alternative. I know that Taiwan often gets lumped in with mainland China in terms of quality, but Taiwan really is worlds apart.
Beltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #59
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
I'v put about 100 miles. on the Chinese SuperCub clone... had my first fillup, 0.85 gal.

Mid-range rpm seems to surge a bit, that or something is obstructing he fuel flow.

Adjusted chain, changes oil, check valve clearance..

It purrs like a kitten now.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #60
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,055
I like your front basket. It looks like it could be adapted to my Symba fairly easily. Where did you get it?

Thanks.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote