ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #931
Wikedhd
Adventurer
 
Wikedhd's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Lake Charles, La.
Oddometer: 44
Where you at?

QUOTE=rtwpaul;21900060]Vic

i didn't want to add to this again with just padding of normal daily life like some seem to do on here, its a ride report not a blog, so until i am actually riding, it is a RTW ride report after all, i am at home, building a few bikes to sell, what i do best to make money, but my bikes don't really have a place on here, but i will add one photo as its motorcycle so kind of related



also working on selling everything i've accumulated over the years, checking out routes and possible locations and basically getting ready for when the time comes, hopefully very soon...

stay subscribed and ADVrider will auto email you when i get out of normal 9-5 life and start moving on two wheels again for more than a day or two

Paul[/QUOTE]

Hey Paul ,
Haven't heard from you in a while, just making sure life is still treating you well.. As always. :)
Been wanting to talk with you and tell you what's going. You know I have to get your advise and that little push in the right direction. Even though Mindy hates when I do that. But she still loves you. So give a Brother a shout when that Vegas life gives you the chance.. Jagger says hi. :)
And I do know someone that makes awesome seats! That one looks kinda plan!:
Wikedhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #932
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dracula's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Fuquay Varina
Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
Vic

i didn't want to add to this again with just padding of normal daily life like some seem to do on here, its a ride report not a blog, so until i am actually riding, it is a RTW ride report after all, i am at home, building a few bikes to sell, what i do best to make money, but my bikes don't really have a place on here, but i will add one photo as its motorcycle so kind of related



also working on selling everything i've accumulated over the years, checking out routes and possible locations and basically getting ready for when the time comes, hopefully very soon...

stay subscribed and ADVrider will auto email you when i get out of normal 9-5 life and start moving on two wheels again for more than a day or two

Paul
Paul,

I appreciate very much your report, and eagerly keep an eye on how it unfolds.
To me, each person's chemistry involved in decisions when and where to go and when all the preparations are enough to hit he road, is far from being mundane, in fact is arguably one of the most interesting parts. Though that is very personal indeed, I am in a bit of a cross road in my life as well, look for and value this insight.
I am in the last days of selling the home where I lived for the past 12 years and relate to how difficult it is to simply lift the anchor and sail away.
After selling what I could, I realized much of the stuff is just not worth it, and donated allot or simply threw away perfectly good stuff no one wanted. Amazing what one accumulates during a "normal" life.
Living out of and on cardboard boxes while awaiting my move to North Carolina has taught me once again how little I actually need, and how much the majority of this "stuff" weighs me down and keeps me from free roaming the roads on my bike. But I think it all starts to work from the inside out to reach the readiness moment. And what does it mean to be ready when I have, say 5 years worth of funds, or just do it anyway for shorter time, return to make some more, or just go and don't look back. The fascinating part is that there is no wrong answer. Likely the first month will wash away all the preconceptions about the trip, bring new opportunities and equally challenges.

Best,
Vic
__________________
I have personal opinions, but don't agree with them.
http://mylongestride.blogspot.com/
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #933
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: in a holding pattern
Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Paul,

I appreciate very much your report, and eagerly keep an eye on how it unfolds.
To me, each person's chemistry involved in decisions when and where to go and when all the preparations are enough to hit he road, is far from being mundane, in fact is arguably one of the most interesting parts. Though that is very personal indeed, I am in a bit of a cross road in my life as well, look for and value this insight.
I am in the last days of selling the home where I lived for the past 12 years and relate to how difficult it is to simply lift the anchor and sail away.
After selling what I could, I realized much of the stuff is just not worth it, and donated allot or simply threw away perfectly good stuff no one wanted. Amazing what one accumulates during a "normal" life.
Living out of and on cardboard boxes while awaiting my move to North Carolina has taught me once again how little I actually need, and how much the majority of this "stuff" weighs me down and keeps me from free roaming the roads on my bike. But I think it all starts to work from the inside out to reach the readiness moment. And what does it mean to be ready when I have, say 5 years worth of funds, or just do it anyway for shorter time, return to make some more, or just go and don't look back. The fascinating part is that there is no wrong answer. Likely the first month will wash away all the preconceptions about the trip, bring new opportunities and equally challenges.

Best,
Vic
i've had similar conversations with people and the consensus of opinion is once you are on the road for around 6 - 8 weeks minimum you start to reflect about your personal belongings, house, various crap you have bought for whatever stupid reason over the years and realize that you don't need it....all you need is whats on your bike, if at some point you need something else you buy that ONE thing, you have no room for anything else...you become very financially efficient and if like me you return to normal life for a short time you are extremely aware of the cost of everything

i cannot tell you how many times i have been in a store with something in my hand that wasn't 100% important and the thought goes thru my head..."i could live on the beach in Nicaragua for a week if i don't buy that, thats the same price as the ferry across Lake Titicaca, thats a tank of gas in Argentina etc, etc...and the said item is returned to the shelf and i go home lighter in shopping and have a little more money in my pocket

i personally think unless you cannot part with 'it' for personal reasons be it photos, special gifts from years gone by loved ones, that one thing that you saved years to buy etc. then in the end if you see living your life on the road it will one way or another cost you, be it time spent using that as an excuse not to go or money you will spend storing it while you are away, then it will also make you have something to think about at home and an excuse to return sooner if you are in some difficult situation on the road and looking for a reason to come home...they will will be the things that do that

all of us are different and have different reasons for travel, the directions we take, the places we want to see, the bikes we want to ride...there is no right or wrong way of dong this, but what i will tell you about the people i have met traveling they are some of the happiest people i have ever met as they are living their life to the fullest and have no burdens to weigh them down and you always hear "it's a lot cheaper than i thought it would be"...this is because you become more efficient at everything, you have to as the only real person you can rely on is YOU
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #934
alison's wanderland
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alison's wanderland's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: not lost...
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i've had similar conversations with people and the consensus of opinion is once you are on the road for around 6 - 8 weeks minimum you start to reflect about your personal belongings, house, various crap you have bought for whatever stupid reason over the years and realize that you don't need it....all you need is whats on your bike, if at some point you need something else you buy that ONE thing, you have no room for anything else...you become very financially efficient and if like me you return to normal life for a short time you are extremely aware of the cost of everything

i cannot tell you how many times i have been in a store with something in my hand that wasn't 100% important and the thought goes thru my head..."i could live on the beach in Nicaragua for a week if i don't buy that, thats the same price as the ferry across Lake Titicaca, thats a tank of gas in Argentina etc, etc...and the said item is returned to the shelf and i go home lighter in shopping and have a little more money in my pocket

i personally think unless you cannot part with 'it' for personal reasons be it photos, special gifts from years gone by loved ones, that one thing that you saved years to buy etc. then in the end if you see living your life on the road it will one way or another cost you, be it time spent using that as an excuse not to go or money you will spend storing it while you are away, then it will also make you have something to think about at home and an excuse to return sooner if you are in some difficult situation on the road and looking for a reason to come home...they will will be the things that do that

all of us are different and have different reasons for travel, the directions we take, the places we want to see, the bikes we want to ride...there is no right or wrong way of dong this, but what i will tell you about the people i have met traveling they are some of the happiest people i have ever met as they are living their life to the fullest and have no burdens to weigh them down and you always hear "it's a lot cheaper than i thought it would be"...this is because you become more efficient at everything, you have to as the only real person you can rely on is YOU
Couldn't have said it better Paul... Coming back from 6 months on the road to all the "stuff" I had stored, I ended up getting rid of most of it. If I hadn't missed it in 6 months, why do I need it? I think simplification is one of the hardest things to understand unless you have experienced it. I watch as those around me drop dollars like they grew on trees and autumn had just set in; the same thoughts run through my head as to how it could extend another day on the road or another site to see. When the last days in Argentina finally met me, all I could think of was how I could have saved more or spent more frugally in order to extend the trip. It's funny how so many think of it as a "trip of a lifetime" ... I just thought of it as "life."

So now we return to the mainstream world, work our asses off at jobs that do not satisfy, but help us achieve the major goal of getting back on the road. My hat's off to you for heading back to Vegas. I still haven't figured that one out. But at least this time around, in my case, I truly understand the value of whatever item may be in hand, and more often than not, I put it back on the shelf. Dreams of those miles that lay ahead are worth a lot.
__________________
- - -
2003 KLR685 :
gone with the summer winds of Patagonia

adventures in : alison's wanderland
: 2012-13 -> LA to TDF
alison's wanderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #935
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Montevideo, Ashbourne, Walvis Bay
Oddometer: 125
Catching up

Hi Paul,

What are the plans at the moment. When do you think you will be on the road again.

KTM looks great and so does the Yamaha after the rebuild.

dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #936
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: in a holding pattern
Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Hi Paul,

What are the plans at the moment. When do you think you will be on the road again.

KTM looks great and so does the Yamaha after the rebuild.

dave
changed plans and decided to do South Korea, Russia (RoB and BAM) Mongolia and the Stans into Europe, starting late May 2014...i will add to this thread so it will update when there is movement, i'll be on the KTM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #937
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
FlyingPenguin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: "Where the Donner Party Dined"
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
changed plans and decided to do South Korea, Russia (RoB and BAM) Mongolia and the Stans into Europe, starting late May 2014...i will add to this thread so it will update when there is movement, i'll be on the KTM

Lets talk. I have mapped out just about the same route and time frame.
__________________
"We'll burn that bridge when we get to it"

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #938
pilacs
Adventurer
 
pilacs's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Orlando,FL
Oddometer: 76
I'll be in the same area starting out middle of may 2014,leaving from Florida. Hope we meet up on the way.
pilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #939
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: in a holding pattern
Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin74Q View Post
Lets talk. I have mapped out just about the same route and time frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilacs View Post
I'll be in the same area starting out middle of may 2014,leaving from Florida. Hope we meet up on the way.
drop me an email/PM both of you and we can compare...looking to be at the overland expo on May 16-18, if you haven't been you should look into this, a great deal can be learned here even at the last minute, i've been for the last two years...then from there slowly ride the Utah back country route and some of the washington back country route

planning to stay in SK for a week or two riding and then take the new ferry to Zarubino, thats when the real fun begins

I am a 100% definite for going but it is looking increasingly likely there will be one of my best friends coming along as well and we will be heading out from AZ (his home state), both on KTM LC4's
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #940
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrGoldfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
looking to be at the overland expo on May 16-18, if you haven't been you should look into this, a great deal can be learned here even at the last minute, i've been for the last two years
I've never been to this, but it looks very interesting. With all the classes and what not going on, what do you suggest a new timer do at the expo? I am a motorcycle adventurer type and don't know if I should take a class or just browse the merchandise.
__________________
Currently Owned: 2008 KLR 650
Previously Owned: 1998 Honda XR100; 2001 Honda XR250
2013 RR: Phoenix to Santa Fe & Back! July 4th Weekend Adventure
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #941
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
drop me an email/PM both of you and we can compare...looking to be at the overland expo on May 16-18, if you haven't been you should look into this, a great deal can be learned here even at the last minute, i've been for the last two years...then from there slowly ride the Utah back country route and some of the washington back country route

planning to stay in SK for a week or two riding and then take the new ferry to Zarubino, thats when the real fun begins

I am a 100% definite for going but it is looking increasingly likely there will be one of my best friends coming along as well and we will be heading out from AZ (his home state), both on KTM LC4's
Paul,
Have you thought about doing a presentation at any of the HU (Horizon's Unlimited) riders' meetings?

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

There are several meetings in the USA and Canada. With your expert experience ... and EXCELLENT documentation of border crossings in Cent.America (best I've seen ... anywhere), I'd think Grant and Susan (HU Owners) would love to have you! Shame you don't still have your Tenere' to show off to the attendee's there ... but I'm sure you've got lots to share with the riders there.

I get the feeling you'd be more valuable at Overland Ex as a lecturer than a guest. The UNI MOG crowd simply BUY their way through borders ... which makes it just that much harder for budget constrained moto-querros to get through without getting nicked$. To local officials ... one Gringo is the same as the other ... whether driving a $100,000 UNI-Mog or a $2000 crapped out thumper.

Hope things are moving forward regards unwinding your entanglements from a previous life!
Cheers!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #942
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: in a holding pattern
Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
I've never been to this, but it looks very interesting. With all the classes and what not going on, what do you suggest a new timer do at the expo? I am a motorcycle adventurer type and don't know if I should take a class or just browse the merchandise.
personally i would get there and get the schedule, there is things happening all day long, almost all of it is free in open areas so if you get to one thing and find out it isn't for you, just eave and move to the next, lots of world travelers giving out great info for every country in the world it seems

the event seems to grow year after year, great vendor booths with companies you have heard about but never got to touch and feel their products here's your chance

seminars about everything travel related and i do mean everything, and movies, adventure movies always good fun, and of course you will see other people from here ADV

basically do it like an adventure...don't make any set plans, just go with the flow, and if you see me we can have a beer
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #943
rtwpaul OP
out riding...
 
rtwpaul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: in a holding pattern
Oddometer: 1,395
in the last two years i've done four seminars at HU events in North Carolina and Canada east, they were about, border crossings, photography X2 and my trip so far to date...this was supposed to be a 45 minute presentation but as i was last it turned into THREE hours...the beers and shots were flowing that night!!!!

As for OX and other HU events? Well i had planned to be at the Cambria HU event (but can't make it now because of work commitments) and present a new book i am writing about "Central America Border Crossings", so i might move that forward to OX next year

the book is a detailed but back to basics guide to get from the US border to the Darien Gap without any help, i have put it together to save people time and money and will probably pay for itself at the first border crossing...i'll have it in print, pdf, ebook and ibook (apple) formats, it will also include a listing of lots of motorcycle friendly hotels with secure parking along the way, traffic information, what you need and don't section and some other stuff...once its complete it should be around 200 pages of what i hope is usefull information - and also once its done i'll put it in the vendor area here for the inmates

BTW i still have the Tenere, decided to keep it, i may need it once i get thru Russia, Mongolia, Stans, Balkans, Europe, South and Central America again next year, the 'new' KTM might be done

hope all is good at your end and you are getting out riding as much as possible

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Paul,
Have you thought about doing a presentation at any of the HU (Horizon's Unlimited) riders' meetings?

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

There are several meetings in the USA and Canada. With your expert experience ... and EXCELLENT documentation of border crossings in Cent.America (best I've seen ... anywhere), I'd think Grant and Susan (HU Owners) would love to have you! Shame you don't still have your Tenere' to show off to the attendee's there ... but I'm sure you've got lots to share with the riders there.

I get the feeling you'd be more valuable at Overland Ex as a lecturer than a guest. The UNI MOG crowd simply BUY their way through borders ... which makes it just that much harder for budget constrained moto-querros to get through without getting nicked$. To local officials ... one Gringo is the same as the other ... whether driving a $100,000 UNI-Mog or a $2000 crapped out thumper.

Hope things are moving forward regards unwinding your entanglements from a previous life!
Cheers!
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #944
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrGoldfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
basically do it like an adventure...don't make any set plans, just go with the flow, and if you see me we can have a beer
This might be good enough reason to come out!
__________________
Currently Owned: 2008 KLR 650
Previously Owned: 1998 Honda XR100; 2001 Honda XR250
2013 RR: Phoenix to Santa Fe & Back! July 4th Weekend Adventure
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #945
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
personally i would get there and get the schedule, there is things happening all day long, almost all of it is free in open areas so if you get to one thing and find out it isn't for you, just eave and move to the next, lots of world travelers giving out great info for every country in the world it seems

the event seems to grow year after year, great vendor booths with companies you have heard about but never got to touch and feel their products here's your chance

seminars about everything travel related and i do mean everything, and movies, adventure movies always good fun, and of course you will see other people from here ADV

basically do it like an adventure...don't make any set plans, just go with the flow, and if you see me we can have a beer
That is great news on your book! All the best with it ... I hope you post it here once it's available for download. (I'm an Apple guy) The hardest thing about such a book is how quickly everything changes at borders. Rules change, new guys take over, whole systems are scrapped and new ones implemented. But as a basic guide ... it will be INVALUABLE to first time Cent. Am. travelers.

I had no idea you'd done the HU tour. I've not been to an HU meeting since
2007. I'd come back if you were presenting. I like to hang out with Frasier, quite a character. I hope Austin and Lois can make it back to Overland Expo, quite an entertainer that Austin. He kind of said it all in Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa. We hosted him here in California few years back.

Great news on the Tenere'! Good to have a proven back up ... although for me, I'd rather be on your KTM in rough going ... as long as it's reliable anyway!

I've done a few great rides this Summer. The old DR650 is getting a workout. More Baja/Mexico rides coming up ... and possibly more.

All the best!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014