Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Wicked Raw and Cinco's BDR Shananigans

Adventure 2.0.

Last January, I road from VA to CA to Rawhyde to UT and back on my Super Tenere. It was a great time to be on the road in the south. Great weather, meeting great people, and stopping to see some relatives. After getting a taste for what the Tenere can do offroad at Rawhyde, I finally convinced a buddy to man up and get an ADV bike.

So, the plan has evolved and with Butler creating the CO BDR, we are setting out for the great west to attempt the UT and CO BDR's. Skill is beginner offroad but fairly seasoned on road (several years of track riding). Adventurous spirit is expert level

Weapons of choice:

Me: 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere - well farkled

Raw: 2012 KTM 990 Adventure R

Set departure is tomorrow in the AM. Head across the US on the slap, then enjoy the backcountry after new shoes are ready to rock.

Spotwalla link --> https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...a&showInfo=yes

Ready for Departure!
JonnyCinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
I got you in my crosshairs Doc!

Ready to head back out west myself. Might have to wait another year or two. You should have rolled out with all of the ol TS3 gang back in '11!
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
bingo, bango in.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Hotbrakes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Braaaapp! Have fun!
Hotbrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheapest View Post
I got you in my crosshairs Doc!

Ready to head back out west myself. Might have to wait another year or two. You should have rolled out with all of the ol TS3 gang back in '11!
Damn....no matter how far I run

Will hopefully be riding on routes a bit more rugged than the S3 can handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes View Post
Braaaapp! Have fun!

Lock and loaded!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Day 1

Day 1
Miles: 851 miles
Richmond to West Memphis

Well, as ADV "plans" go...ours started out on the correct path. We intended to leave Richmond around 6 am and get to Little Rock. However, Raw's departure from his PA home was a bit delayed due to a sleeping disorder (lets hope this is not carried over to his bike).

Nevertheless, no worries. I was content as we were able to start the day off with a nice espresso

Then the super slab commenced. After doing my iron butt back in January, I thought I did not fear any slab. However, 850 miles in 96 degree, east coast heat is way different that 1100 miles in January. Wow...check that "monkeybutt" off the list of experiences.

Not too much else to report today. God blesses Tennessee with ethanol free gas

Bike felt as though it ran the same, but I'd like to think it felt better on the inside.

Tomorrow is the super duper slab, as we have to get to Albuquerque (1009) miles away). Time to experience some Silverback butt.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Cool! Looking forward to following along.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I am in!!

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Day 2
Miles 1055
West Memphis AR to Albuquerque NM

The day started as all others days typically do...with my alarm going off. Having to make up some time meant an early start today. What was supposed to be a boring saddle sore day turned into slab adventure (if you can call slabbing it across country an adventure).

Bikes loaded and gassed up, we skip breakfast in favor of a morning jaunt through Arkansas. Unfortunately, I do not remember half of it as I still had not fully awoken. Caffeine injection needed!

Awesome Cinco idea of the day: add a large iced americano to the camelback. The day was officially underway.

After enter Oklahoma, Raw abruptly came over the intercom noting he no longer has power to his com device. Rut roo! Pulling over, he recreated the harsh helmet slap he experienced the KTM get a little power hungry. The cord caught the chain and that was the end of that. Looking at the rear tire, we found the cord.

Other than that, Raw also found out how many miles his tank would get him at 80mph, as he ran outta gas in TX.

The day finally ended and rest well needed in Albuquerque. We have made it to the west. Some bike maintenance tomorrow and the BDR is at our backdoor.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Day 3

Day 3
Miles: 280
Albuquerque to Dolores

I am pretty sure the end of the world could have occurred last night, and I would not have been aware. After hitting 1900 miles in 2 days, at late nights each day, I was pretty beat.

Today's agenda: New shoes and Fresh blood.

Woke up this morning around 8ish and got our stuff packed up to meet an ADDV's who was offering his garage and tools. The shop we ordered our tires did not open until 10 am (Moto Authority in Albuquerque). So, plenty of time to get the tires off and over to the shop.

Surprise of the day: only 3 of four tires came in. Last time I checked, we were not going two-up on a Can Am on the Ace and Gary show. Turns out, the 990 rear K60 is in high demand and did not ship on time. After calling all shops, the KTM dealer on the other side of town had a TKC80 in stock. Raw is now pimping the combo K60/TKC80 style.

With the unexpected tour of Albuquerque and bike maintenance, once again we were not on the road until 5ish to make it up to Dolores.

A great reason to live in Albuquerque: Green or Red Chillies!

Raw mounting up the combo:

the ride from Albu to Dolores was a nice ride. Especially once you hit CO. Surprise #2 of the day: The mexican fiesta place in Cortez makes the BEST margaritas I have had in a while. Hand squeezed limes......hmmmmmmmm.

Food pic:

Tomorrow...we plan on doing more of the riding thing...however, we hope to find some dirt
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Raw trying to make I-40 a little more adventurous. Here is a quick uncut video

KTM vs the power cord
Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

Day 4

Day 4
Miles: 107
CO BDR Section 1 (abbreviated) Dolores to Telluride

Random gate in Dolores

The morning started out...mid morning After getting in late the night previous, and the delicious Mexican food, the early start, turned into a mid morning packing event followed by a noonish depart time.

Good Morning Raw

Being that Garmin and I have a love/hate relationship..I uploaded the custom route from Butler and said "LETS GO!!" After 15 minutes on tarmac, I finally got the clue that Garmin was taking us the scenic route and not the backcountry route. ABORT MISSION!! Turned around and Raw took the lead with the paper map while I cursed the Garmin on our way back to Dolores.

Did you know the COBDR starts right in Dolores? I do now

The initial section I thought..RUT ROO! What have I gotten myself into. With the after rains and ruts, the soft section of the initial part was a bit squirrely. This bike handles quite a bit different fully loaded than it did at the Rawhyde course

After the softer section, we finally made it to some elevation and hard-pack and rocks. GREAT climbing fun and definitely a good way to introduce you to what is to come with the passes.

After passing Groundlake, I felt a bit....uncertain, let's say. With every drink of water I took, my stomach grumbled a bit deeper. About 8 miles outside of Groundhog lake, I could not take it anymore...EMERGENCY STOP! HELLO and good afternoon to the "other end" of elevation sickness.

the rest of the afternoon was filled with awesome views and fun switchbacks.

Me on a switchback

Raw on a switchback

We got into Telluride and had originally planned to camp, however, with my current predicament, we decided to get a hotel room at The Hotel Telluride for the night and "drug up" for tomorrow.

Arriving in Telluride

Old 07-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Great start! Raw may appreciate that TKC! Looking forward to following along. Be safe
Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
JonnyCinco OP
Adventurer

EMERGENCY!!

Going up Ophir, the Tenere decided to take a nap. Upon waking her, she gave up on me. Let the clutch out and it just revs, NO VA! It dies engage slightly to not allow me to roll backwards, but that's it.

We drifted back to the Conoco in Telluride. I was able to get some power, but if I give it any aggressive throttle, it just revs.

Thoughts? Stuck in Telluride...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCinco View Post
EMERGENCY!!

Going up Ophir, the Tenere decided to take a nap. Upon waking her, she gave up on me. Let the clutch out and it just revs, NO VA! It dies engage slightly to not allow me to roll backwards, but that's it.

We drifted back to the Conoco in Telluride. I was able to get some power, but if I give it any aggressive throttle, it just revs.

Thoughts? Stuck in Telluride...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
If it's moving-----reving up-----but not accelerating like it should--------sounds like the clutch is toast.

I don't think any of the fancy traction control stuff would cause this scenario.

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote