User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #61
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,746
Thought that might get you excited Ben!

So I have about 2 months to get the bike ready and in a crate on its way to France. There's also a possibility my Land Rover will be going with it, as Ben's transport as Service Vehicle. Going to be very busy!

I also have to come up with squillions of dollars as I don't actually have enough at the moment to cover what we need. I'll prepare a sponsorship proposal package, but everyone can help by sending me the contact details of anyone you know in organisations that might be open to an approach. I'll be specifically targeting some large NZ corporates (Air NZ, Tourism NZ, Refining NZ) for major contributions, and have some companies I have contacts in for some medium contributions but this where all you Kiwis can help me out. I really, really want to do this with NZ backing as much as possible as a point of differentiation. That should make my bike an attraction for media and therefore a good prospect for advertising ROI. So c'mon everyone - I need your help! PM me your "inside line" contact details.

I'll also try and put together some sort of support packages with "swag kit" for individuals too. More on this in a while.

Hang on tight ... this is going to be quite a ride!
Cheers everyone.
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #62
Turtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Too Cool

[QUOTE=JayBo1;21909155]Thought that might get you excited Ben!

So I have about 2 months to get the bike ready and in a crate on its way to France. There's also a possibility my Land Rover will be going with it, as Ben's transport as Service Vehicle. Going to be very busy!

Well I am also along for the ride. This is going to be awesome.

I am also an Australian based KIWI.

Looking forward to it.

uNCONTROLLABLY nONG

Try and Fail, but never fail to try!!!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #63
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Good on ya, John! We'll be watching closely!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #64
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Remember to wear your red socks...
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #65
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The news was exciting but ... time to move on with preparation. I spent a while at Causeway KTM this morning trying on some new bling gear. Lets see what sort of special deal they can organise with the distributor.

The other day I emailed them through a list of bits to get me prices and availability. Anyone want to shout me a piston kit for a 450 Rally Factory Replica? This kit has a piston, a pair of rings, a gudgeon pin and a pair of gudgeon clips. You have to buy the head gasket separately I think. Maybe you could buy me two, seeing as they're so cheap?? Only $3,962ea RRT.

So I decided to check the valve clearances instead. Gosh, this thing is quite different to the 530EXC!

Cam chain only drives an intermediate shaft which then uses gear drive to drive the cams. Shims are smaller diameter (9mm as opposed to 10mm of the EXC) than all my spares. One inlet valve was a little close, so I'll order a range of shims to finish the job. Hopefully they're just 450SX-F shims and not "rally" prices.

I also intended to service the forks but found they're very different to the usual kit too. No spring to be seen, manual talks about 1.2B of gas pressure, closed cartridge, oil level measured with cartridge removed but I wasn't game to try removal. So they're off to the suspension shop next week.

Cleaned a few more parts though. Tomorrow I'll adjust the steering off-set from the standard 20mm to 22mm. Hopefully I'll get to see how that feels before crating it up. (Should be a little more stable for high speed and reduce the tendency to "tuck in" on tight sandy corners). Apart from that I'll have to work out a way to get the swingarm off without the forks being back in, now that they'll be delayed a little.

Ciao
KTM 530 EXC-R

JayBo1 screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 09:55 AM
Old 07-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #66
brent tex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Congrats

Jaybo,
Congrats on being accepted, you must be so excited. Let me know when your swag package is ready, Ill buy some. This rally racing is an expensive habit.
Brent.
brent tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #67
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent tex View Post
Jaybo,
Congrats on being accepted, you must be so excited. Let me know when your swag package is ready, Ill buy some. This rally racing is an expensive habit.
Brent.
+ 1on that!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #68
GPS MAN
Lost!

Oddometer: 69
Good Luck ~ Jaybo..

That Rally game is expensive
GPS MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #69
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
This kit has a piston, a pair of rings, a gudgeon pin and a pair of gudgeon clips. You have to buy the head gasket separately I think. Maybe you could buy me two, seeing as they're so cheap?? Only $3,962ea RRT.
Maybe you should think about riding a 250 Beta Rev3 trials bike on the Dakar? The same kit only costs $299.00 (plus the dealer threw in some free stickers!)- No need to thank me for the advice, am happy to help
Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #70
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Man, what a whirlwind of a week!!! There are soooo many things to think about and decisions to be made in a very small time frame. Already this gig is nothing like the Australasian Safari.

I played with a budget over the last couple of days. After a few cuts and accepting a few discounts and stuff, my cheapest option at the moment is hovering around $80k. People that have done Dakar before will tell you it costs around $85k as a minimum, but it really hits home when you actually put your own numbers in the boxes and come to the same figure! Unfortunately I just don't have that much so need to get some help or I get to watch the Dakar coverage on SBS/Sky like everyone else. (Probably Sky because if I'm not in South America I'll be back home in NZ with the wife for a break - not that a holiday back home is a consolation prize or anything).

I met with a communications officer yesterday and discussed sponsorship proposal preparation and media releases. She was a huge help so we should get something out in the next week. I'm really hoping that will produce a positive result, or this thing isn't going to happen. It would be sooo much easier for a person living in Europe. So, get onto those "inside line" connections you have in companies in NZ and get contact details to me. I'll get a sponsorship proposal to every connection I get. That proposal will be made up of 3 or 4 different levels of packages with a range of benefits for each to suit small businesses to large corporations.

I better get onto some other arrangements. More soon. (The pace is going to pick up!).
Ciao
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #71
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
"cheapish" options do exist
  • KTM450RR rent from Chile based team 11,500 euro
  • full mechanical assistance 15,000 euro
  • ASO entry 14,800 euro
  • return air ticket $4,000 AUD
  • tyres & consumables ~ $10,000 AUD
  • contingency ~ $ 5,000 AUD
so about $63-65k AUD for the basement budget option

the malle motos guys do it for about $50k AUD but have a 80% dnf rate for first timers

flog off a certain 2nd hand 450RR to some guy and you have almost 50% of the budget already

Manuel Lucchese did it for about 5,000 euro of his own money..................begged, borrowed and bummed the rest for both 2012 and 2013 Dakar's
Hmmm. Back to school for you mate. Your sums add up to AU$78k (based on 0.694 exchange rate today) - pretty much exactly where I was at with my "around $80k". The prices you quote are the exact option I'm looking at going with. Love to know how to get it to $63-$65k AUD you're making it - I almost have that.

PS: I'm not into "dnf"ing so Malle Moto is for a future challenge.
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #72
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Hmmm. Back to school for you mate. Your sums add up to AU$78k (based on 0.694 exchange rate today) - pretty much exactly where I was at with my "around $80k". The prices you quote are the exact option I'm looking at going with. Love to know how to get it to $63-$65k AUD you're making it - I almost have that.

PS: I'm not into "dnf"ing so Malle Moto is for a future challenge.

oops yes forgot about 10k euro in the conversion ...........................still its only Dakar monopoly money........ yeah make that $80k AUD

yeah agreed malle moto is a short trip to disappointment for most

good luck with it

you would be only the 3rd Kiwi after Mark (was it ??) in 2009 and Birch in 2012 ??
Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #73
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
"cheapish" options do exist
  • KTM450RR rent from Chile based team 11,500 euro
  • full mechanical assistance 15,000 euro
  • ASO entry 14,800 euro
  • return air ticket $4,000 AUD
  • tyres & consumables ~ $10,000 AUD
  • contingency ~ $ 5,000 AUD
so about $63-65k AUD for the basement budget option

the malle motos guys do it for about $50k AUD but have a 80% dnf rate for first timers

flog off a certain 2nd hand 450RR to some guy and you have almost 50% of the budget already

a certain Italian did it for about 5,000 euro of his own money..................begged, borrowed and bummed the rest for both 2012 and 2013 Dakar's
Nearly there JB,

You have way too many tyres, especially with today's short stages and being on a 450cc unless you are in the leading pack it will take a while for those knobbies to get down. When you get into the dunes, don't put new tyres, keep the ones slightly used. They would be a lot softer so your tyres won't dig down as much. 1/2 to 3/4 knobbies left will work better if you don't fly through the sand.

I prefer the M16 for the front, it is a very strong mousse.

In regards to saving some cost, you can find some good teams and share a mechanic with 3 riders (to start with), you can bring the cost down to about 9,000 Euros. Else, just rent some space into a well-oiled Dakar Team and use their infrastructure to do your own. However make sure you are fast enough to not run into sleep depravation after 4-5 days.

More budget makes things easier but this does not necessarily translate into finishing the race, so keep the bivouac chit-chat to a strict minimum and get regular sleep so that your body adjusts to a rhythm.

Make sure to study the route and know your "planned" maintenance with ready to go assembly based on the terrains and towns (e.g. you want at least two additional set of complete wheels/tyres already assembled, 10 filter pre-oiled etc). There will be some bivouacs that are good to work in and others an absolute nightmare.

There is plenty of time for you to get the remainder of your budget, you are nearly there. My advice "don't rely on anyone but yourself" to get the extra cash. Extend your working hours to 15 per day and work week-ends. You will be glad to be at the starting line... and the 15 days ahead will feel like a holiday

Don't forget to simulate the action for 4 days whilst in Australia, get up at 3:30am, get on the bike at 5am, do 200-300kms, then dirt for at least 6 hours, then another 200 kms of road section. Then try to sleep before 9pm on the first day. The next day, do the same but go to sleep at 11pm, still get up at 3:30am. On the 3rd day, go to sleep at 10pm but wake up at 3am and do a 400kms road section leaving at 4am (imagine going through the andes), don't wear too much clothes so you can see how you react with being cold. That day go back to bed at 9pm. On the fourth day, wake up at 3:30am, do another 200kms of road section, then wear a lot of clothes for a 8hrs of riding non stop to simulate Fiambala. Make sure you get really hot with your clothing. Then another 300kms of road section. Of course breakfast and dinner are the only two meals to have.

If you are really keen, throw in a night ride as well in some sand dunes. This will give you a good indication of what to expect.

Spending that much hard earned $, you want to minimise the DNF potential and prepare accordingly for what you will be faced with.

Feel free to PM me if you run into roadblocks.

Good luck!
CBVRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #74
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for your input Christophe. You've given some things to think about.

Tyres: I have found in my experience with the Safari, that I like having fresh tyres every day. It may just be a psychological thing, but it seems that every time I have a "difficult" day, it seems to be that I'm on "day 2" tyres. Having said that, I have to admit that I didn't change tyres every day on the Desert Challenge and didn't really have the same feeling. The DC's were on the 530 though, so maybe it's just different on the 450RFR. I'll do some testing with new and second hand tyres in the sand here and decide from there, but in the meantime I'll probably have to have already committed to sending tyres or not, so I'll send them and maybe not use them all. Too easy.

Moussess: I got the Mousse number wrong in my earlier post. It is M16, of course, for the fronts that I have. The M14 is a rear Mousse - 140/80x18 but an enduro compound, not rally. So I have 2 M02 Rear Rally Mousses and 2 M16 Front enduro Mousses.

It is looking like I will hook up with a "well oiled" team and supply my own mechanic. Ben and I have worked together on a few Safari's and I have great confidence in Ben's calm approach and ability to just "get on with it" with minimum fuss and bother. He also has that special knack of knowing what information to pass on to me and what to keep quiet until the event is over.

I do not expect to be fast enough to service myself and survive, so will definitely commit to either a team mechanic or Ben (dependent purely on whether Ben can commit - my preference is for Be to be with me).

One of Ben's more difficult tasks will be to steer me away from "Bivouac chit-chat". It is an area of weakness for me that I will need to manage.

Unfortunately I don't have an option to simply "extend my work hours". I can work all the hours I can (actually I can't because I'm restricted by contract conditions) but still get paid the same (salary). I'm better off using whatever time I have away from work to train and get things done. I can use the spare time to sell things to raise funds if desperate (not far off that already).

I like your "simulation" exercise. I'll try and do some of that but the reality is there are only two days in a weekend and days off work are days of earnings off the budget. A vicious two edged sword.

I really appreciate your input and encouragement. Don't worry about me dnf'ing though -IT WON"T BE HAPPENING! So far 2oo2 Kiwis finished on their first attempt - I'll be making it 3oo3!!!
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Just spoke to Jaybo and received some great news from my own personal sponsor (you know who you are) so it looks like the KiwiSafariTeam really is now well and trully the KiwiDakarTeam

GO BRO GO.......
topo is offline   Reply With Quote