Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #31
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Ah man, that's the last thing you want to deal with in the middle of a trip. Hopefully it will be something simple like hot weather riding causing a very small amount of even hotter oil to be pushed out the crankcase breather and making a mess . . . . . like on my Harley.

Hope you are back on the road soon.
I hope it is something simple. I guess I'll know, later today. It is nice to have the chance to visit with Bill and Lisa in the meantime.

Dwight
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #32
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thumb Fixed

My bike is fixed.

I didn't get to speak to the tech directly but I called Bentleys KTM today and the bike is fixed. The tech apparently found a couple loose bolts were causing the leak. He ran it for ten minutes a couple of times yesterday evening and this morning and it did not leak.

They are installing a new tire for me and it will be ready this afternoon.

Thank you to Bentleys for your help. Thanks to Ken, the technician, and thanks to Frank at Toys for Big Boys for promptly returning my calls

Looks like I will be on the road again tomorrow

Dwight
Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #33
Rustyone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Anchor Bar

The Anchor Bar is a cool place. Lots of stuff to look at.

Rusty
Rustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #34
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Kedgi i liked your last report a lot and filled from beginning to end. This one will be no different. Why the change in bike?

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #35
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Dwight:

glad your bike is fixed. I was getting worried for you, not like being stranded with friends with a pool is "stranded"

at least you aren't in the middle of nowhere without support

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #36
Kedgi OP
Banned

Anchor Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyone View Post
The Anchor Bar is a cool place. Lots of stuff to look at.

Rusty
Thanks Rusty

I definitely want to check it out.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #37
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Kedgi i liked your last report a lot and filled from beginning to end. This one will be no different. Why the change in bike?

Later
John
Thanks John

I loved my KLR. The guy that bought it from Toys for Big Boys in Moncton NB, where I traded it in on the new KTM came by my house with it the night before I left. He had obviously spent hours cleaning it up, it looked like a new bike! It worked and sounded good too. I'm glad to see it in good hands.

I changed bikes mostly because I wanted to do some trips like my recent one to Newfoundland and my current trip around Lake Superior. The KLR is a fine bike but I never liked riding it, fully loaded with gear on major highways and Interstates. The wind from the big trucks would move it around, especially with those big panniers on. I would stick to secondary roads whenever possible and that limits the distance you can cover.

My ride here on Wednesday, 14 hours blasting from eastern NH to Pittsburgh, I was able to do on the I-80 with this bike. I'm not really into Interstate miles but covering those miles really got me to where the ride I want to do, begins. From here on, it's all new territory for me. The KTM expands the range I have on shorter length (timewise) trips.

Both bikes the KLR650 and the KTM990 are excellent bikes. Different tools for the same job.

It is impossible to beat the bang for your buck a KLR650 affords. I mean where else can you get a brand new adventure bike that will take you around the world for such a reasonable price.

I love my new KTM though, for me it was just time for a change. Toys for Big Boys in Moncton offered me a reasonable trade on the KLR and a good price on the KTM so I switched. I would have liked to have kept the KLR and the new KTM but my garage is too full of stuff as it is.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #38
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb On my list...

I've been around the Great Lakes in commercial vehicles a few times, not on a bike yet but I've wanted to. I have no doubt this RR will be great. I can't make the trip yet but one of these days I will. I'm way in here.
Ride safe there Kedgi.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #39
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cool2 On the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Dwight:

glad your bike is fixed. I was getting worried for you, not like being stranded with friends with a pool is "stranded"

at least you aren't in the middle of nowhere without support

bob
Thanks Bob

I have been extremely lucky with all the travel I have done in the last year. Anytime I have had a motorcycle issue I have been in a good place to stay and had lots of help. I'm no mechanic and anything beyond basic maintenance is beyond my scope, so good help is essential.

The guys here at Bentleys KTM were excellent and Frank at Toys for Big Boys was there for me too. My buddy Tom who I ride a lot with, at home, gave great advice over the phone too. In the end the issue is fixed and it's all good. I had a great visit with my friends Bill and Lisa, who Angele and I met many years ago in Key West Florida and see almost every Winter, but it was wonderful to see their nice home and experience a little of their great community here in Export PA and meet some of their friends.

We just had some rain showers pass through and in just the last five minutes the sun has come out. The weather is thankfully cooler and it looks like it's going to be a great day to head up toward Sault Ste Marie. I figure today I will explore a bit of Lake Michigan's East coast as I head toward the Soo.

I will have to cut the Iowa portion of my trip out this time but I will see my friends from there, Jim and Marlene, in Key West in December. Jim is (shirtman) on the pages. They are great friends we met many years ago in KW too and they also are friends with Bill and Lisa.

So today I will be on the road again. A few hours of Interstate to get me through Ohio and into Michigan and then for me the real exploring part of the trip begins.

I'll see you on the East Coast

Dwight
Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #40
Kedgi OP
Banned

Welcome aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
I've been around the Great Lakes in commercial vehicles a few times, not on a bike yet but I've wanted to. I have no doubt this RR will be great. I can't make the trip yet but one of these days I will. I'm way in here.
Ride safe there Kedgi.
Welcome aboard Blacktruck and thank you for your service!

Kedgi

PS I got a PM yesterday from some KTM riders up in Grand Marais I hope to hook up with. That will be cool.

Stay tuned.....
Old 07-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #41
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,160
Nice meeting you yesterday Bentley's Kedgi. Have a great trip!

Now off to the garage for an afternoon of spinning wrenches on my 530...
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #42
Kedgi OP
Banned

Met Garry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Nice meeting you yesterday Bentley's Kedgi. Have a great trip!

Now off to the garage for an afternoon of spinning wrenches on my 530...
(I met Garry at Bentleys while I was picking up my bike. He rides at KTM as well)

It was nice to meet you Garry

It is a small World when I can pull into Export PA meet my freinds, meet the tech (Ken) at a shop I have never visited before and find out he is a lifelong friend of my friends and then meet another KTM rider who also is on ADVrider. Pretty cool!

Dwight
Old 07-21-2013, 03:46 AM   #43
Kedgi OP
Banned

Whitmore Lake Michigan

Good morning

I am in the town Whitmore Lake Michigan this morning. Yesterday was another fairly long day riding the slab. I nevr left Export until nearly noon because the weather channel was showing a line of thunderstorms sliding south across the I-80. By waiting a few hours I missed them for the most part and still made some good distance. I did hit one big rain shower, right after I stopped to take my rain gear off. The rain actually felt pretty good after riding for a few days in oppressive heat. I passed through the shower into relatively cooler dry air, if you can call 28C cool. It sure feels cool after days on end of 37C.

I saw a cool licence plate on a sparkling blue Corvette. "redwhtn" (can you tell I was bored of riding the slab?) That's all going to change today. I plan to ride over to the eastern shore of lake Michigan and ride that north to the Sault.

Here are some pictures I have taken over the last few days.

My bike ready to leave NH. You can see the rear tire was getting a bit used up. One more long, long day of riding in 100 degree heat on the slab pretty much burnt it up. I got 8600K out of that tire. It would have went to 10,000 I'm sure but I changed it out while I had the chance at Bentleys.

A couple views of the Green Mountains of Vermont

The ride from NH to Albany, through Vermont afforded a few steep hills

Here is Bentley's It is a big shop.

They had lots of bikes in stock

Including a a couple of 2012 KTM 990 Adventure's, this one in black. I don't think they sold black ones in Canada.

I like the black. I think it would draw less attention when riding in Mexico etc.

At a gas stop near the Pennsylvania Ohio border I met Bill, who lives in the area and rides a Kawasaki KLR 650 much like my last bike. Bill has put 30,000 miles on it in the last couple years. Nice to meet you Bill.

This is what the I-80 was like yesterday. I could see showers all around but escaped them for the most part. The one heavy one I rode through was a good test for my Wolfman Bags. They stayed dry as a bone. Yay!

I like my Wolfman bags so far. It is a little harder to organize them and find stuff than it was with my aluminum panniers on my KLR but they are light, you don't hear stuff rattling around on the bumps and they have generous capacity. I have enough stuff with me I could go for months, I have plenty of tools, tubes, warm clothes, patch kits, first aid kit, camera, computer, tent, sleeping bag and pad, stove, pots and pans etc, but the bike doesn't feel overloaded.

I had to take a picture at the welcome to Michigan, "Pure Michigan" sign

I stayed last night at a Best Western, It was nice to get in A/C after a warm day.

Michigan seems to be very busy with tourists. The beautiful advertisements they have been putting on TV with the "Pure Michigan" theme must be working.

Jimmy Buffett has been following me around. He was in Pittsburgh when I was there and he was in Detroit last night.

Motels in Ann Arbor were packed last night and their rates on the few rooms available were pretty high in my opinion. $100 for a Red Roof Inn? Wow! So I pushed on the Whitmore Lake were I got a more reasonable rate. My CAA card always saves a few bucks too.

More from Michigan later, the weather is supposed to be outstanding today, lots of sun and a warm, not hot, high of 82

stay tuned....

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 04:11 AM
Old 07-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #44
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Good stuff Dwight, glad to see your trip is going well.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #45
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Let me know if you get up to the Marquette area.

Michigan pretty much sucks as long as you are below 'da bridge (Mackinac Bridge, that is)!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote