Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #481
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,178
Thursday afternoon a friend from work and his Ducati Monster joined me on a ride.

I was going back to Pittsburgh to spend the night and be at the finish Friday morning of the Iron Butt Rally.

He has been wanting me to go with him to All Seasons Motorcycle Dealer in Wooster, Ohio so we went there first, then he headed home and I went east to Pennsylvania.

As you can see in the picture I installed the top Caribou Case along with the side cases for the first time to see if I liked it, as I usually just strap a dry bag on the back rack.
It does come in handy being top loading for items you use often.
The side loading cases have alot going for them except that they are side loading.After using top loading panniers in the past I prefer them and feel they are much easier to load.

While at All Seasons we test rode quite a few bikes including a Moto Guzzi, which is why Jamie has been wanting to go here.

They didn't have a demo Stelvio unfortunatly so we could only ride the entry level V7 Stone.It was very nice but too small and cramped for me, but fit him.

I really liked the Super Tenere except for the Dirty air and Buffeting from the windshield.
That would have to be dealt with.

Next up I rode the new BMW 1200 GS water cooled.Excellant bike with ALOT of power and excellant clean air from the windshield vs. the Tenere.

They also had a used ST1300 that I rode since I always wondered about them and was very impressed with.What a marvelous mile eating road machine.

I couldn't ride it but they had the new 800 GS Adventure sitting there on the floor on the center stand.Now that bike will seriously talk to you.It is alot more impressive in person then the pictures.If they were not so expensive and (I feel) have so many issues it would be hard not to take that one home. Lol.

I had a good time at the Rally finish, talking with other members and the Rally riders themselves after following another exciting 11 days.
I think there were more DNF's(did not finish) this time than ever.

This impressive dirt Ninja was in the parking lot.
I dont know who owns it but he must have showed up to see the riders at the finish like myself.

Here is Tim Masterson at the finish.

The last guy I said goodbye to before heading back to Detroit was JOHN RYAN.(RIP)
I had just met him during this Rally(He was not a participant),but had read alot about him over the years including the book written about him.
He was really a humble and friendly guy.

That morning at the Finish of the Rally,one of the riders was 100+ miles from the finish and had bike problems.
John Ryan rode his FJR to the rider and let him use his bike to make it to the finish.(with penalty of course.)
Someone followed John out in a vehicle and brought him back.

I would have never thought he would be gone a few months later.

John Charles Ryan
Obituary

John Charles Ryan, 53, of Long Valley, N.J., passed away on Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013. A celebration of John's life will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013, at the William J. Leber Funeral Home, 15 Furnace Rd. (corner of Rt. 206), Chester, N.J., (908) 879-3090. An 11 a.m. Funeral Mass will be celebrated on Friday, Oct. 18, at St. Luke Parish in Long Valley. The interment will be private. For online condolences or more information, visit www.williamjleberfh.com. John was born on June 24, 1960, in Jersey City, N.J. He had lived in Long Valley for the past nine years and was previously of Morris Plains, N.J. John was an avid motorcyclist. He held numerous world records for endurance riding. John was a member of the BMW Skylands Club, the New York BMW Riders Club, the New Jersey BMW Shore Riders, and the Iron Butt Association. He also volunteered at Camp Nejeda to help children with juvenile diabetes. John is survived by his mother and father, Janet and John Ryan; his siblings, Susan and her husband, David Drillock, Kenneth and his wife, Barbara Ryan, Anita M. Ryan, Laurie and her husband, Anthony Pietropollo, and Nicole and her husband, Daniel Morin; his nieces and nephews, Justin, Melanie and Trevor Ryan, Michael, Alexander and Christopher Pietropollo, and Brooks and Samaya Morin, and many other loving aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Camp Nejeda Foundation, 910 Saddleback Rd., Stillwater Township, N.J. 07860.
Published in Star-Ledger on Oct. 15, 2013

Then I hammered the Turnpike home, once again impressed with how well this thumper has been chewing up the slab miles lately.

But I hear the North Woods calling and think I may spoon some knobbies on the KLR and get off the pavement for awhile and see how this Road Warrior does on the Dirt and Gravel roads and Two tracks of Northern Michigan and maybe the UP.

One thing I want to modify, but I will probably wait till winter, is the footpeg location.
I am going to fab up some brackets that lower the pegs about an inch and move them back about an inch to facilitate a much better standing position.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 02:13 PM
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #482
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Gen 1 and Gen 2 rear wheel compatibility ?????

Does anyone know the specifics on ALL the differences between the rear wheel on both Generations.
Eventually, I would like to have 2 complete wheel sets and I already have the fronts covered but need a rear and I could find a Gen 1 wheel cheaper and quicker if it will work.

So, will a Gen 1 work on my Gen 2 bike ?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #483
MOTOSIERRAGORDA
MOTOSIERRAGORDA

Oddometer: 4
Do you really feel a huge difference??

In riding the klr and the bm?

I just did something similar, i changed an aprilia pegaso 2006 for my 2008 klr and...very happy with handling and the cut on expenses...

Greetings from sierragorda, queretaro, mexico
MOTOSIERRAGORDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #484
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOSIERRAGORDA View Post
In riding the klr and the bm?

I just did something similar, i changed an aprilia pegaso 2006 for my 2008 klr and...very happy with handling and the cut on expenses...

Greetings from sierragorda, queretaro, mexico
Yes, big difference in ride and cost.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #485
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Does anyone know the specifics on ALL the differences between the rear wheel on both Generations.
Eventually, I would like to have 2 complete wheel sets and I already have the fronts covered but need a rear and I could find a Gen 1 wheel cheaper and quicker if it will work.

So, will a Gen 1 work on my Gen 2 bike ?
I beleive that the hub and sprocket and carrier are the same. The Gen 2 has thicker spokes front and back. I am not sure of the brake disc attachment to the hub and disk spacing as the caliper mounting and carrier are different. ?
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #486
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Single track riding in Northern Michigan

MICHIGAN CROSS COUNTRY CYCLE TRAIL

Saturday - 3 August 2013

This morning I rode up to my friends place in Lake City, Michigan which is on Lake Missaukee and just East of Cadillac.

Around 9:30 AM, The KLR and myself headed North looking for Adventure !!

My route up consisted of mostly back roads at a leisurely pace.
The plan was to meet Bob and a few other friends at Bob's Cottage to do some trail exploring for the weekend.
Bob has been coming up to this Lake since he was a kid.

From my house it is somewhere between 200 - 250 miles to his Cottage depending on what route I take.

This is looking out of Bob's back doorwall.

Before turning North on 66 from 115,I stopped in at the corner family Diner(Country Kettle) to have lunch.

At this location,I was only 20 -30 miles from the destination, but I almost always stop here when passing through to points North and Northwest in the Michigan Penninsula.
I guess you could call it one of those silly little traditions we sometimes create for whatever sentimental reasons.

As I pulled up to his garage I could tell they must have already went out for a ride.

So I removed my side cases,storing them in his garage and dropped my tire pressures.

Then I rode the 2 track and Forest roads out to the gravel pit thinking they may be there.
After doing some exploring,I decided to head back.
At the last turn I came upon them on their way back,joining them for the remaining few miles.
After regrouping and taking a break we decided to go back out,as we still had many hours of daylight to burn.
First we rode two track/seasonal roads and then rode a little North of him to the MCCCT , which is the Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail.

Bob trailered up his KTM 500 XCW.
Another friend,Jamie,trailered up his Husaberg 450 FX for his son and KTM 250 for himself.

There is a 177-mile portion of the 1,200 mile Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail through the Manistee National Forest.

From M-20 to the Pere Marquette State Forest is a 99 mile section, then the trail goes through the State Forest for several miles.

After leaving the Pere Marquette State Forest, riders will again enter the Huron-Manistee National Forests for another 32 miles.

Across the Manistee National Forest the trail crosses several roads and utilizes several forest roads.

The trail traverses flat to rolling hills and goes through areas ranging from heavily forested with oak, maple and pine with a shrub, grass and fern understory to open meadows.

There are several bridge crossings along the route.

The Big O, Little O and M-20 Motorsport Trail provide additional sections of trail on the Huron-Manistee National Forests.

This is an overview of the complete MCCCT system highlighted.

In this map with the whole State shown you can get a good picture of how big the complete MCCCT trail system is.

It is in the shape of a big sloppy "A"

The trail connecting the West side to the East side(and turning the upside down "U" into an "A" is called the CROSS STATE CONNECTOR.

The far Western portion of the Cross State Connector is mostly what was rode in this report.

Shortly after crossing US 131,at the trail intersection,I headed South on the MCCCT towards CABERFAE way.(West of Cadillac)

Here I circled the area we were riding in during this trip.

Everyone's ready to hit the trail !!!

The KLR was not one bit intimidated by all the Austrians !!!

After all the Austrians had to be carried here,but the KLR carried me here.

On the pole above you can see the MCCCT triangle confidence marker,along with the ORV Trail marker.

Alot of Michigan trails double as both.

We picked up the Trailhead right where it meets the paved road M66 and headed West.

Bob's place and Lake City is about 10 miles South of here.

M66 runs right through the middle of Lake City.

NORTH MISSAUKEE TRAIL AND ROUTE AND MCCCT WEST

The trail is Technical single track with somewhat firm dirt in alot of places but of course this is Michigan so you have to watch out for the Sand in places and sometimes make a save with the big KLR with street biased tires.(Anakees 2)

The trail quickly delivered us from the open scrub and into the forest.
We came to an intersection and paused to check our bearings.
As we resumed they ripped off and missed the almost immediate right turn to enter the North Missaukee /MCCCT Single track trail.
So as they tore off down the wide Orv Route,I ducked into the sweet tight trail.

I have rode alot of the MCCCT in different parts of the State in sections over the years and absolutely love it.
Whenever I am riding a section of it I get really excited regardless of what bike I am on !!!
When wrestling the big KLR I am usually drenched in sweat but I welcome that too.
Knowing that I am on the bike that I rode hundreds of miles to get here means alot to me also.
For me it is just about being out there in the middle of it and taking in all the sights and sounds.
It makes me really feel alive and I just ride a mellow pace and ride for endurance,not speed.
I am a Adventure rider not a Moto crosser !!!!!

Before it got dark I rode a couple hours of this trail and then broke off the trail at Morey road and headed back to Bob's cabin to meet back up with the other riders for dinner.

When I got back they were all relaxing and winding down for dinner.
After discussing both of our rides that evening they made some comments expressing their respect for what the KLR and I accomplished for the day.
Then we went into Lake City and found a suitable restaurant on the main street for a proper sit down meal before retiring for the night.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 08:57 AM
Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #487
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Every so often you come across a trail marker on this particular section.
They are helpfull in keeping track of your location and judging where you are able to bail off the trail if you need to.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 08:27 AM
Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #488
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

The trail passed through this Pine Forest.

US 131 TO NORTH MISSAUKEE

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:07 AM
Old 08-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #489
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

SUNDAY - 4 AUGUST 2013

Today I resumed where I left off last night.

I rode about 40 more miles of mostly singletrack today so far,as I sit here in a little Diner just south of M55 eating a grilled Ham and Cheese.
It's awful !!! If I wasn't so hungry it would go in the garbage.

GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY TO SUPPLY ROAD MCCCT

MCCCT TO US 131

GAS GUY screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 08:58 AM
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #490
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Eventually the trail dumped me out onto country back roads used as a connector to hook back up to the trail further up the road.

20 ROAD TO GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY MCCCT

Then I rode over to the CABERFAE Trail head off of M55 just west of Cadillac to run the KLR through that super tight and technical goat trail.

A couple years ago I rode that on my KTM 450 along with my buddy Bob on his Husaberg FX450 and he couldn't wait to get off of it, and said you needed a 250 for those trails.
Well, lets try a 705 !!! LOL !!!

M55 TO 20 ROAD MCCCT

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 12:33 PM
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #491
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Whoops !!!

A little mishap here.

No big deal, I just like to look around a little too much and while enjoying a quick view of the forest to my left my front wheel ran against the side of a downhill rut and pulled me down.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 05:14 AM
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #492
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Pine Forest

Sunday on the MCCCT/North Missaukee Orv Trail I came across another beautiful Pine Forest.

I really enjoy riding through them because they give the Forest a clean and special effect with the way the trees are all symmetrical and the ground is covered in Pine needles.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 05:09 PM
Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #493
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Here are a few more deep in the Forest on the MCCCT.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #494
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Sunday on the MCCCT/North Missaukee Orv Trail I came across another beautiful Pine Forest.I really enjoy riding through them because they give the Forest a clean and special effect with the way the trees are all symmetrical and the ground is covered in Pine needles.

thats crazy looking...if that forest went on too long i think i would get hypnotized by the regular rows of trees....we have a lot of engendered forests down here but that one looks extra linear,,,

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #495
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Every so often, the trail sends you out into an open area of land.

Open usually means more sand also.

When in the Forest the trail is harder pack and roots.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 09:00 AM