Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #5686
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
After my trip from dili via kupang then boat to larantuka and up to bajo, boat to sape then ride to subawah then boat to lombok and down to lambar and boad to bali . I still reckon a 250 would do the job. Or a 400 would be perfect. Flores doesnt have any roads that can handle big capacity bikes. Sure lots of corners but in varying states of repair. My hp2 loved the backroads and with great suspension really was a buzz . But in the slow going traffic which was more common it was another story. Expect an ave speed of 40kph.
This was my experience anyway. Also tyre repairs are must easier in villages with out the big tough hard to change tyres of my bike and other large capcity adv bikes
Different strokes for different blokes Mike

We'll have to agree to disagree mate on the F8. Personally I still think the F8 is great anywhere on ashphalt and gravel in Indo including traffic in Denpasar

Although I always try to ride the back trails where there's very little traffic its not about the top speed of the bike, but the acceleration I have fully loaded to get past slow belching buses, horses and carts and what not if i run into them, thats a major plus for me.
Its suspension unfortunately can be found lacking when pushed to its limits offroad with a Giant Loop full of red wine
One reason for my project Africa Twin with KTM fork conversion for this years trip.

The AT was totally awesome on trails like these in Flores. This particular day was one of the best days riding I've ever had. Miles and miles of gravel through beautiful scenery.

This day however was not so good.

Due to the AT's tendency to frequently assume this position on trails such as this in Flores and Lembata , I've now decided to adventurise my Husaberg FE 390 .
This is due to the nature of the tracks I prefer to ride (I try to avoid ashphalt where ever possible) although I agree with you that a 400 may in fact turn out to be the best compromise overall for riding everywhere including ashphalt in Indo. I'll just have to carry less red wine I guess.

I'll report back when I know more.
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #5687
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 678
indo

Ya I road with a gb bage and tank bag. And for sure my hp2enduro can carry a load. So this is a plus. I used to have AT xrv650 rdo which I think was awesome . As u say diferent strokes. Are u in indo still.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #5688
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cummins View Post
Are u in indo still.
20 years and counting here in Bali mate.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 AM   #5689
period3
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMInduro View Post
Hi Ricky - sorry I missed you whilst your were in Bali. I'm still confined to my sofa btw.

The road that runs across the top of Sumbawa on the way to Bima can be ridden fast. The Harley riders from Java ride do tours all the way over there as its so straight and empty and in such good nick.

I've had my F8 up to about 140 kmh on that road a few years ago and could have opened it up even further if i had wanted to I guess , but to be honest road conditions are so unpredictable I kept on thinking a cow would wander onto the road or something, so only kept the bike at that speed for about 5 minutes before losing my bottle and slowing down to below 100 kmh.

I would agree that the majority of riding found here is sub 75 kmh. Its probably safer that way.

You don't really want to speed round a corner at 100 mh and find something like this

Interested to hear about your ride in Sumba. Which part of the island did you ride ?
Really? Haven't been a single place that over the distance I'd be quicker or more comfortable on the f800 than the KLX250 or Scorpio. And I do have one back at Home. It's funny to see the justification for a bigger bike to be more stable after running over a dog. As you say, Each to their own. Oh well. I'll just back pragmatism.
period3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #5690
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 678
bali

20 years is good stint
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #5691
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by period3 View Post
Really? Haven't been a single place that over the distance I'd be quicker or more comfortable on the f800 than the KLX250 or Scorpio. And I do have one back at Home. It's funny to see the justification for a bigger bike to be more stable after running over a dog. As you say, Each to their own. Oh well. I'll just back pragmatism.
Have you been to many places?

You should ride more, if possible everyday not just on saturdays and sundays, then you will have the skill to ride in the traffic here and adapt to the trafiic. You maybe a skilled rider where you're from, but you are skillful for your home traffic and road conditions. Here, you need to learn a new set of riding skill and adapt to the traffic condition. That's why I suggested you ride everyday and even ride a matic scooter until you're used to the traffic .
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #5692
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by period3 View Post
Really? Haven't been a single place that over the distance I'd be quicker or more comfortable on the f800 than the KLX250 or Scorpio.
What do you mean by that ? Are you stating "places" in Kalimantan only, as I was eluding to in my earlier reply or your experiences riding in other "places" on other islands in Indonesia ?

Quote:
It's funny to see the justification for a bigger bike to be more stable after running over a dog.
Not sure how to take your comment relating to dogs. Its makes me think you may not have ridden much in Bali, for if you had, you would know that there are stray dogs all over the island and that they are indeed a hazard. Anyone spending any length of time riding on the roads here, will unfortunately but undoubtedly hit a dog at one time or another. Believe me its better to be on a bigger more stable bike. Don't ask me how I know.
Similarly I'm guessing you may not have ridden much in Eastern Indonesia where there are goats wandering all over the place.
Animals and livestock in general are a potentially deadly hazard when your're riding anywhere in Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
Have you been to many places?

You should ride more, if possible everyday not just on saturdays and sundays, then you will have the skill to ride in the traffic here and adapt to the trafiic. You maybe a skilled rider where you're from, but you are skillful for your home traffic and road conditions. Here, you need to learn a new set of riding skill and adapt to the traffic condition. That's why I suggested you ride everyday and even ride a matic scooter until you're used to the traffic .
Agree with you Bob.

It takes time and a lot of kilometres to be really comfortable riding on any bike on the roads in Indonesia, and to be able to identify potential hazards whether it be a tourist on a scooter , dogs , anticipating trucks coming round blind corners on the wrong side of the road and the list goes on.

Now back to small bikes versus big bikes debate

We can all be as pragmatic as we like, but I really don't think you should be knocking or laughing at anybody riding a large bike in Indo if you

1. have no idea of their skill level

2. you personally have no experience riding a larger capacity machine here yourself.

A few years ago I rode across Kalimantan from Pontianak to Balikpapan on my Husaberg.
I'm sure you know, being based in Kalimantan, that some of the palm oil and logging roads go on and on and on and are more like dirt super highways. This photo was taken about 100 km outside Pontianak.

Even on the Berg I sure was wishing for the F8 on roads like these. Now if I was living in Pontianak I would be having a fantastic time on these roads and those like it on my Beemer. I'm sure that maybe some of the guys you are laughing at in East Kalimantan are having a magic time on roads like this also.

I'll leave with this tale from a RR called Sabah Malaysia: Blindness, Da Pai & the Curse of the Green-Meanie from Inmate Swamp describing riding a KLX 150 over long distances on Borneo.
I think he describes his experience in Sabah superbly. He is also one hell of a funny guy. (Check out his RR's )

Quote:
Most of the other rides I have done have mainly been based off of pictures that I have seen. You know, the classic “Hey look at those Andes mountains! I want to go ride to see those mountains” or “ I think I’ll go see the Temple of Heaven” or “Baja, hey, I hear that place is cool, I guess I’ll go there”. Simply, most people travel to parts of the world to see certain features or qualities. We already know what we are looking for when we get there. We know what to expect to see because we have already seen pictures of what we want to see and we already know, pretty much, where to find it. I had absolutely no motive or reason for journeying a million fucking miles to come to Sabah Malaysia other than the fact that it was a million fucking miles away from my home and that I don’t know ANYONE who has ever been here… and I’ll probably never meet another person who has been here, or has done what I am doing now.

So, I hadn’t seen pictures of what I was “supposed” to expect. I had heard no stories and I had no goals other than “ride all the way around Sabah in 2 weeks”. So that is exactly what I was going to do on this Green Satan Torture of a bike.

Now, I don’t know how long it’s been since many of you have ridden a 150cc motorcycle across very long distances, on dirt roads, in foreign lands (that might as well be alternate universes). I’m here to tell you that however long it’s been… it has not been fucking long enough. A trip on such a bike as this becomes a very long, bone jarring, fork bottoming endurance exorcise with an unquenchable desire and yearning for more power. The motor sounds like a moaning retarded child eating vanilla pudding off of a rubberized spoon...............

Don't think I could have put it better myself
Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #5693
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
(snip)
A few years ago I rode across Kalimantan from Pontianak to Balikpapan on my Husaberg.
I'm sure you know, being based in Kalimantan, that some of the palm oil and logging roads go on and on and on and are more like dirt super highways. This photo was taken about 100 km outside Pontianak.

Even on the Berg I sure was wishing for the F8 on roads like these. (snip)
Monty, how would an F700 perform on roads like those roads you had ridden on? Do you think it can handle those kind of roads, not just the road pictured above, but also the roads in your latest RR to Flores?
Thanks,
bob
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #5694
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Monty, how would an F700 perform on roads like those roads you had ridden on? Do you think it can handle those kind of roads, not just the road pictured above, but also the roads in your latest RR to Flores?
Thanks,
bob
I havn't ridden a F7 and don't know much about it , but I could have taken my F8 (and therefore I presume an F7) down all the trails shown in my RR with no more problems than I had with my AT
Old 07-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #5695
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Ricky, how do you like the KLX250? How do you like it for long ride, ride that's longer than 5 hours?

I've been thinking about getting a second bike, a DS bike that's comfortable for long ride and can do two-up easily. Bikes that on my list are Sertao, TR650 and 800GS. I just added KLX 250 to the list. It looks like it can be a fine and fun bike to ride, but I've no idea if it's comfortable in long ride or how it is when doing two-up ride.
Sorry Bob - missed this one.

I recently took if for a 10K km ride... as much off road as possible from Kuala Lumpur Malaysia to Thailand, Myanamar/Burma, Laos. (I didn't enter Myanamar "legally" - I was in the Karen and Kachin held areas for some NGO work.)

My bike has been excellent! Nearly 100K km on the bike and about 50K KM on the 351cc big bore engine with pumper carb. As it lasts so long it is worth it to do the mods on it. I've got a comfier seat, 4 gallon Acerbis gas tank (advertised as 3.7 but either it is 4 gallons or all the gas stations are screwing me!). I've also way beefed up the sub frame - it handled a 17KG givi box on over 5K km of washboard.

As far as the fuel my pumper carb is happy with anything - use bottles all them time. The newer models are FI and probably more sensitive. The newer models have FI instead of carb, shorter suspension, about 8KG heavier, closer gear ratios, a different headlight and other than that are about the same.

I've also got KX250 forks/suspension; just did that as I found a great deal on a KLX250 in the US that had already converted the suspension. Mine's about an inch taller than the original 2008 which was an inch taller than the new ones. I often do studpid things like leave the keys in the ignition and go watch a movie. My friends think it hasn't gotten stolen because it's too tall!

FWIW the 351/pumper and mods almost doubles the HP - there is no other bike I've heard of that has the potential to improve so much power wise. Here on ADVrider I'm kind of moving into the territory of the most miles on the 351 (I like knowing there are others in front of me) but I can say that if it dies today it has been good!
I've also got a KTM690 enduro. Stock the KLX250 makes about 1/3 it's HP and w/351 it makes almost 2/3. Not bad for being 20 KG less weight and 10X as reliable!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #5696
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZodiaCz View Post
maaf, adakah field report terbaru tentang jalan raya lintas sumatera kak?
dan mohon bantuan nya andaikan ada thread tentang persiapan touring yang bisa di rekomendasikan untuk saya baca?

agak deg2an jg nih. soalnya 1st touring antar pulau

Tahun lepas I buat ride dari Medan ke Aceh... tapi I rasa kamu mahu tahu tentang Sumatra Selatan? Aceh sangat kasar... sperti MX track ... yang bagus, tak ada banyak kereta lain. Kereta (emmmm "mobil" dalam Bahasa Indonesia!) biasa jalan 20 km/jam... rasa cepat pergi 40 km/jam.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #5697
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Hi Ricky - sorry I missed you whilst your were in Bali. I'm still confined to my sofa btw.

Wow! What a beautiful way to go out! Actually if the water was deep enough there's a KLX150 (made for midgets and hobbits!)I rode 2,000 KM it would be kind of fun to bury there!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #5698
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

I was going to post some pictures up but all the photos I just uploaded to photobucket got flipped upside down... don't know what's up with that?

So from Bali, what's the best bike for top speed in this kind of stuff? I was thinking a SuperEnduro with Christini and a cow catcher on the front!

Here's a few from Sumba:

Tons of trails like this thru little villages:

Roads like this (I think there is an eagle in that shot)... just turn your computer upside down! Photobucket is taking 10 minutes to rotate 1 pic!!!

Honestly it reminded me of Africa. Lot's of topless women with sarongs, mud huts, dirt floors animals in the house, women with pretty big loads on their heads... Bandung seemed so amazingly modern by comparison!
Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #5699
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

So from Bali, what's the best bike for top speed in this kind of stuff? I was thinking a SuperEnduro with Christini and a cow catcher on the front!

Guess that's Kuta or environs ? I think a helicoptor might be the best option !
Its a total nightmare there nowadays.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #5700
KTMInduro
Off Road Montster

Quote:

Here's a few from Sumba:

Tons of trails like this thru little villages:

Honestly it reminded me of Africa. Lot's of topless women with sarongs, mud huts, dirt floors animals in the house, women with pretty big loads on their heads... Bandung seemed so amazingly modern by comparison!

Cool photos. Were those taken in Eastern Sumba ? I'm wondering due to the tin on some of the roofs.

I've been over there several times but not on a bike. Both times just to South Western Sumba. Agree with you that its very primitive indeed, but the beaches are incredible !

The 2nd visit was to the Posala which is an amazing spectacle. Full on warfare between villages on horseback.

When we went the police ended up firing machine guns into the air in order to prevent two villages getting too carried away and actually killing each other . I can't seem to locate any photos of that trip at the moment.

We just discovered on our latest ride that there's a car ferry from Sape in Sumbawa to Sumba each day at 9 am. Its an 8 hour crossing. Sumba is definitely on my places to ride bucket list.

We need a Sumba RR Ricky............