User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #166
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Hammertime

Once again thanks for all the support and well-wishes.

We've been talking to Jack Lilley Triumph in the UK to order the parts we need mainly because they're good with shematics, native english speakers and they post internationally. We didn't want to miss a part because it was lost in translation.

When they saw the photo's at first they refused to sell us the parts because of safety reasons and because they thought basically everything had been damaged in the accident so they started looking for a secondhand bike for us. I was a bit shocked with that response and I guess corporate responsibility and all that bollocks but fuck me who buys a £9,000 adventure bike then abandons it on the adventure I asked if they could help me out by assembling the front end in their workshop before sending it so I know we have all the parts but they said they wouldn't again because of safety reasons.

Still nothing from Triumph Central. Looks like I'm doing this alone.

We've carefully weighed up whether repairing the bike is the right decision, both for safety and financially. On the financial side we wondered if it was possible to buy a secondhand bike for the amount it would take to get this running + shipping to Australia - we doubt we could. On the safety side the frame is obviously the concern, but everybody seems to believe it's repairable.
On top of that the bike just has to make it to it's fourth continent, in style!

Everything else looks good

Looks straight

At the head of the frame where the front sub-frame attaches it's mushroomed from the impact. We'll wait for the new parts to come before bending it so we aren't doing any unnecessary bending and weakening.

First up cleaning the surface and pulling it together with straps

Then the weld

And some anti-rust paint

"Factory reset" he called it. He doesn't think adding gussets is necessary but I would feel better if it's done.

The footpeg attachments cracked but doesn't seem to have twisted the frame. What we think has happened is the footpegs have taken the impact but like yokesman said the frame has given way at the weakest point rather than at the footpegs. Everyone already knew this was one of the problems with the 800xc and if the pegs were bolted on rather than welded the crack may have been avoidable.

We pulled the trigger and ordered all the parts that needed replacing, which was mainly the instrument panel, radiator, sump and headlight assembly. I could have tried using the old instrument panel but if the ECU didn't like it I would have to order a new one, pay for shipping and wait so I just ordered a new one now.

I know the damage to the bike is on the extreme end of the spectrum but it's got me thinking that a true adventure bike needs to be simple with an easy fix - no electronics that HAVE to be fixed to get it running and liquid cooled can be a hassle.

You can imagine the force of the impact to cause both engine guards to point in the same direction.

The tank needs straightening on the right hand side. The dents will be popped back out by blowing compressed air into the tank

While we wait we watch all the other adventurers come and go. The guy in the middle carries a polo stick to beat off dogs

The pink flags are to stop cars getting too close

Home for the forseeable future. For $12 a night and full access to all the facilities including breakfast we're not complaining

It will be at least another two weeks before it's all back together and fingers crossed, running. In the meantime we sit back and think about the meaning of life.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #167
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
The guy in the middle carries a polo stick to beat off dogs
Gross.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #168
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Thanks for the update GP! Just as I start to wonder how you are getting on up you pop each time with pics and a story or two! Not that it wasn't already but this is truly an epic ride...

Thanks again for sharing your adventure.

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #169
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
That pipe is called a "PIPE, BREATHER DRAIN" per the parts diagram at bikebandit.com . Sells for $9 from them.
Got it, thanks. There are two types apparently and they needed the engine number to order the right one. What I might do is ask them to send me both just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate63 View Post
So glad you two are ok...
Hope you can get it fixed for the journey to Oz
We were the two ozzies on the Strom we met near Bishkek
Hi! The accident happened only 5km's after we saw you again. Erin (Aaron?) mentioned you're wife had a sore neck from the bumpy roads hope it's alright now. Safe travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
Thanks for the update GP! Just as I start to wonder how you are getting on up you pop each time with pics and a story or two! Not that it wasn't already but this is truly an epic ride...

Thanks again for sharing your adventure.
Thanks for following along We're thinking we might switch our transport for the non-motorised type and go horse riding while we wait for the parts to arrive. We won't drink their milk though
Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #170
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
NORMALLY I would let this go ,but as the saying in aviation that weld will not fly. Where you are and going this patch work is not an acceptable repair.
You cannot weld over a crack and expect it to remain welded.
Pull up the pdf i sent you and find someone to follow the prescribed process and you will have something as strong or stronger than the original.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #171
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
Pull up the pdf i sent you and find someone to follow the prescribed process and you will have something as strong or stronger than the original.
You do know where they are? Don't you?

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #172
RoninMoto
Wanderer

What's your paypal email so we can help you out?

Those new parts can't be cheap.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #173
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
NORMALLY I would let this go ,but as the saying in aviation that weld will not fly. Where you are and going this patch work is not an acceptable repair.
I pulled up the pdf and have been looking over it but nothing seems to fit the crack on the bike. The aviation fittings seem to be at right angles where a plate can be fitted over it but the tiger frame is circular. If I email you a picture of what I'm thinking would you be able to double check it looks ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
What's your paypal email so we can help you out?

Its alright mate we have it covered, cheers though. You need the money for where you're going...Oz ain't cheap!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #174
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
You do know where they are? Don't you?
+1

GP, if internet access is a hassle for you and you need any part info looked up let me know. Fellow Tiger 800 owner.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #175
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
In that pic it is obvious,under the middle puddle.
sorry about that,keep that as an index,here is the whole pub by chapter.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentid/99861
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #176
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
+1

GP, if internet access is a hassle for you and you need any part info looked up let me know. Fellow Tiger 800 owner.
The internet at the guesthouse is normally ok in the morning and late evening. They have a funny setup, on the one hand they have smelly travellers walking around in various states of undress because of the heat and on the other they have business people in suits using conference rooms. During the conferences the internet really slows down.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #177
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
the porosity (holes) in that weld make it very weak and prone to fracture very quickly, looks like no welding gas was used when this was done as i see a stick welded laying on the floor? Try and seek out a Mig or Tig welder if possible, i understand where you are but for your own safety I would suggest it be rewelded and stongley braced otherwise you will be doing it over and over again for the rest of your journey
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #178
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
RoninMoto What's your paypal email so we can help you out?

+1 to that
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #179
New-Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Your traveling partner is as cute as a bug's ear. Do you suppose that you could get her to add some of her perspective to the story. I bet she would develop a fan club in no time.

Patty, your smile is made in heaven.....anyone want to agree with me.
Thanks for the nice comments.

While we wait for the parts we have some time on our hands so here's a little about my personal journey through Northern/Central Asia.

Being a Pillion
Sitting on the back of the bike is mostly comfortable but the tool belt has not been my best-friend on this trip because it takes up a little bit of my seat and moves forward on bumpy roads. I usually can ride 350kms until I start whinging then I need my legs stretched for a good hour or so. We’ve done quite a bit of off-roading on the tiger which is not as bad as people may think. It’s surprising comfortable and I enjoy it a lot. We have done some standing up mostly in the stan’s and when we go on the straight roads it’s fine and it feel normal but when it’s down hill on corners I can’t help pushing forward on Craig and pulling back on him when he accelerates.

Being a woman
In Turkey I bought a headscarf expecting to wear it on a regular basis, I am now in Kyrgyzstan and not once have a worn it for the purpose I bought it for lol. Craig will win on this one as he “told me so”

Being a black woman
So far in our journey we have come across very, very, VERY few black people. In fact, so few we can count them on one hand. I started noticing people being intrigued by my colour in Balkans but it became more pronounced since I arrived in western Kazakhstan. Throughout the Balkans I would get the occasional person who would ask for a photo but by the time I hit Kazakhstan it was every second person that wanted a photo. Then further into the journey it would become a constant stare.

People would try guessing where I was from; first Africa; second Hindustan (India) which to be fair is not that far off; third American and then when I told them Australian they were surprised. It was funny one time at a military checkpoint a conversation went something like this:
Guy: Where are you from?
Me: Australia
Guy: America?
Me: No, Australia
Guy: Oh America?
Me & Craig: NO, Australia
Guy: (Confused look and gave up)

In the small villages only small groups would gather around and ask questions which are fine, I love meeting new people and speaking to the locals but in Samarkand it felt as though the eyes of the whole city were on me and with the whispering and the photos it was just a bit overwhelming. Since then, things have been great. Craig and I have met so many lovely people and I have felt very welcomed. People from this part of the world are so generous and just now starting to be introduced to many tourists from all over the globe visiting their beautiful country.

Changes
I would probably not bring so many clothes as I ended up throwing a few things away one being my small hairdryer that weighed a lot. I thought I would need all the extra things that I had brought with me but you honestly don’t end up using it all.

Before I met Craig I never even knew where Kazakhstan was I only heard of it in the Borat movie and Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan were all unknown to me even being a country. I couldn’t even say them properly. So I was in for a big surprise. I made some assumptions but I'm very glad that I came and my assumptions were wrong. This part of the world is beautiful; it is the most beautiful scenery I have seen, breathtaking scenery, the niceest people I've met and I would recommend it to everyone. I am so happy that I have travelled and been so lucky to see these parts of the world.

The accident was a sad moment but we are safe and that is and always will be the most important, we are now in the midst of getting the bike fixed and back on the road to continue our journey.
New-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #180
RoninMoto
Wanderer

That's awesome Patty. Craig is a lucky guy. I'm looking forward to meeting you (and Craig again)