ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #376
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Big Sky Country
Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
I talked to a very cooperative and friendly service tech as well as everyone else at my local dealer about a wiring diagram. The tech told me there is no central file or organized wiring diagram specific material availabe for them to look at. When they have wiring questions the information is all located with each job or component they are working on. He didn't seem to like the system either but that's all BMW has given them to work with.
So, does anyone have experience to report that the tail light as a trigger source for a relay causes difficulty with the CANBUS? As well has anyone used the accessory socket feed as a trigger?
__________________
----------------> jer-
30+ years with RTs...then to F/GS; now *Finally*
the BMW: R1200GSW, factory low seat & lower crash bars;
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #377
JM
Studly Adventurer
 
JM's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
So, does anyone have experience to report that the tail light as a trigger source for a relay causes difficulty with the CANBUS? As well has anyone used the accessory socket feed as a trigger?
I don't see why the accessory socket wouldn't work. I just did a '13 GSA so we are talking different bikes but, I've heard the accessory socket is timed to stay hot for a while after the engine shuts down. I can't confirm the LC works the same way. I wanted a trigger that shut on and off with the key not delayed till after start or extended after key off. I chose to use a lead off the diagnostic plug for my trigger wire.

One thing to consider is a trigger wire for a relay uses a very small amperage draw. It wouldn't change the stock tail light current draw very much.
__________________
John

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #378
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bails's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Wollongong Australia
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider1946 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Took the hacksaw to the old backrest form my Adventure. Purchased the Touratech rack extender and strapped on the backrest. Wife loves it. Comes off very easily.
I don't mean to be insulting but a Backrest on an Adventure Bike ? Do you have any idea how dangerous this set up is ? Broken backs a very big possibility in an accident !
__________________
If it has to Be then it's up to Me!
Bikes Multi Strada 1200 BMW GSA
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #379
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I don't mean to be insulting but a Backrest on an Adventure Bike ? Do you have any idea how dangerous this set up is ? Broken backs a very big possibility in an accident !
I'm guessing you feel the same way about top boxes and luggage strapped to the tail and pillion seat?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #380
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bails's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Wollongong Australia
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
I'm guessing you feel the same way about top boxes and luggage strapped to the tail and pillion seat?
Actually yes to top boxes if their design is not to release with impact. I'm worried about when you are off road and go over a bump that throws the backrest into the small of a persons back. Maybe the rider does not go off road ? I have seen broken ribs from a bag rack with is pretty flimsy compared to a backrest.
__________________
If it has to Be then it's up to Me!
Bikes Multi Strada 1200 BMW GSA
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #381
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,885
Years ago,a friend of mine crashed a bike with a small padded backrest. The backrest struck him on his side as he and the bike tumbled. This impact stopped his kidneys from functioning for (I can't remember exactly now) a couple of weeks. I have avoided backrests because of that, but I had not really thought about top boxes. At least with a top box, the larger area would spread impact out somewhat instead of concentrating it.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #382
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
So, does anyone have experience to report that the tail light as a trigger source for a relay causes difficulty with the CANBUS? As well has anyone used the accessory socket feed as a trigger?
I use the tail light as my trigger for a PDM60 without any problems.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #383
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it
 
kindofblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 822
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Is this for the pivoting riser? Is any of this required for the block riser already available on the Rox website or is that a simple install?
these instructions are for the adjustable riser. space. I just dropped in the forks for the stock right for the Block risers but this may not be necessary for everyone. I would definitely move the clutch lever in bored just a little though for the block riser.
__________________
Doc Reid
2013 GS LC Red (the fastest color )
Wondering about your drinking? www.drinkerscheckup.com
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #384
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,885
Here is the Wunderlich adjustable shift level. It is a beautifully made piece. In this shot, it is extended all the way out, which is what I need for it to be a the perfect spot for me. The end folds, so hopefully will not break in a tip-over. Note that the adjuster is mounted to the center of three possible mounting points, offering greater range than stock. The rubber bit spins freely, and is designed to do so.



By contrast, the stock shift lever:

__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #385
hammick
Beastly Adventurer
 
hammick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
I don't see why the accessory socket wouldn't work. I just did a '13 GSA so we are talking different bikes but, I've heard the accessory socket is timed to stay hot for a while after the engine shuts down. I can't confirm the LC works the same way. I wanted a trigger that shut on and off with the key not delayed till after start or extended after key off. I chose to use a lead off the diagnostic plug for my trigger wire.

One thing to consider is a trigger wire for a relay uses a very small amperage draw. It wouldn't change the stock tail light current draw very much.
Under the drivers seat there is a blank four wire plug. Inside is a 7.5a fuse and a 15a fuse. The 7.5a fuse seems to control the blinker switchgear and hazard button. I tapped the downstream wire coming off the 7.5a fuse and it works great. Circuit stays hot for about a minute after shutting off bike.
__________________
2015 R1200 GSA (on order)
2011 R1200RT
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #386
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,690
Just received my Wunderlich 40mm up and back bar risers, but in the instructions there are pictures of the tank removed to make the brake lines longer when on full lock. Does anyone have these fitted, and did you have to modify the brake/ clutch lines?
__________________
2015 BMW R1200GSW (on order)
2014 BMW R1200GSW TE (current)
2015 BMW S1000R Sport (on order)
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #387
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy
 
TBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Oddometer: 696
didn't know they made a 40 - or are you refering to this one?
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot.../41970111.html
sorry can't answer your question was just curious if there was more than one up and back option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Just received my Wunderlich 40mm up and back bar risers, but in the instructions there are pictures of the tank removed to make the brake lines longer when on full lock. Does anyone have these fitted, and did you have to modify the brake/ clutch lines?
__________________
'13 BMW R1200 GS WC
01 KTM 520 EXC
Had God not driven man from the
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #388
Gary Stofer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Oddometer: 100
The 35mm up & back bar risers fit with no modifications to brake/clutch lines or wiring. I did remove the first cable tie at the frame just to give a little more slack.
Gary Stofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #389
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
didn't know they made a 40 - or are you refering to this one?
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot.../41970111.html
sorry can't answer your question was just curious if there was more than one up and back option.
Yep, those are the ones. The receipt says 40mm!
__________________
2015 BMW R1200GSW (on order)
2014 BMW R1200GSW TE (current)
2015 BMW S1000R Sport (on order)
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #390
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Stofer View Post
The 35mm up & back bar risers fit with no modifications to brake/clutch lines or wiring. I did remove the first cable tie at the frame just to give a little more slack.
Good to know. I don't have a torque wrench, is that important, or should I just tighten them hand tight?
__________________
2015 BMW R1200GSW (on order)
2014 BMW R1200GSW TE (current)
2015 BMW S1000R Sport (on order)
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014