Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #121
rydethis
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I got it from TWT also!! Just finished and now looking forward to the Alaskan trip!! Great RR!! Loved the "awwwww" moment with the deer!
rydethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #122
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Fantastic trip you guys ! You make a great couple! Enjoyed the RR

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #123
Boxall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thumb Hats off to both of you!

Thanks for an incredibly enjoyable ride report.

And an ISDE Gold Medal to Nikki! Awesome, just awesome. Way to go girl!
Boxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #124
Vic5491
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I really enjoyed reading your RR and can just feel how great it was for the two of you to make this run together!

I gather that the WR performed better than did the KLX especially at altitude, which is to be expected. The question in my mind is "Just how superior is the WR on a trip like this?"

In preparing for this trip did you put a pipe on the KLX and rejet it and open up the airbox or was it running bone stock? I might have been tempted to rejet somewhere along the way when you got above 4 or 5,000 feet and you knew you were going to be up there for awhile. Did you ever consider doing that?

I hope this note gets to you. I am curious to hear your thoughts on the two bikes as I am currently trying to decide which of the two I want to buy.

Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
Day 9

We headed out of Fallon, NV on Hwy 50 heading towards Lake Tahoe.

The plan was to cross over the Sierra's on forest roads, but everyone we came to was still gated shut. So instead we are forced to stay on Hwy 50 into South Lake Tahoe.

We had it on good intel (weather forecast) that there was a pretty good storm pushing through the valley and headed this way. We had two options: 1. Keep pushing, riding through the rain, and stop somewhere in the valley. 2. Hang out here for the day and enjoy the remaining good weather,then head out in the morning - hopefully missing all the bad weather by that point. We choose option 2, and get a room in town.

Heading down to check out the Lake...

You can see the clouds building and pushing in over the range in the above picture...

Towards the end of the day, we head up into the mountains on the West side of the lake to check out some waterfalls. We get chased back down and into town when the rain starts. The only picture I got of that area:

Ate some pizza in town then an early night to bed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 10

We woke up to this in the morning:

38 and raining in town. I guess I was a little off in my calculations of exactly how long it would take the rain to push through. We geared up and headed off into it. We actually hit a bit of snow climbing out of Tahoe, before we eventually started dropping down into the valley.

Stopping for some gas and lunch - it has been a chilly ride so far .

Conducting a bit of business, "Sorry, I am out of the office today."

After the lunch stop we got into some much better weather, as we rode some smaller highways towards San Francisco.

Crossing the wind swept valley.

And through some wine country...

Then hitting Hwy 101 North of S.F. Before we headed into town, we headed out towards the Muir Woods to see the Ocean.

Really fun roads through here.

And then we were at the Pacific Ocean:

Not quite the same as riding on the beach in Port Orford, but it still makes for a termination point of a route - you can't ride anymore West if you wanted to .

But we weren't done for the day... We headed back towards the 101.

And down towards San Francisco, where we caught our first view of the Golden Gate Bridge:

And like any good out of state tourists, we drive half of the speed limit while taking pictures of the bridge crossing .

I cost $6 bucks to cross, so we only wanna do this once - better get it right!

Shortly after crossing the bridge, we landed at our friend's place where we would be tourists around the town for the next week.

Our trip totaled 1,933 miles and with the exception of a few hundred miles, all done off pavement. What an extraordinary way to cross the country . I couldn't have been more pleased with how well Nikki rode through the technical sections of the route. Some people may see traveling with their wife as a burden, but I enjoy it, and feel quite lucky that we both can enjoy something like this together . The bikes performed well enough, and never let us down. A big Thank You to all the advriders on here who have posted reports and information on the their own TAT experiences - it really was vital in my planning and routing.

After Nikki and I did our week in San Francisco, we put the bikes in the back of a moving truck and drove them home. We had 3 days to get home, and a marathon ride on the 250's was not appealing at all, and I didn't want to ruin my fond memories of the trip with a ride home like that.

Thanks for reading along !

Jordan & Nikki

Vic5491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #125
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic5491 View Post
I really enjoyed reading your RR and can just feel how great it was for the two of you to make this run together!

I gather that the WR performed better than did the KLX especially at altitude, which is to be expected. The question in my mind is "Just how superior is the WR on a trip like this?"

In preparing for this trip did you put a pipe on the KLX and rejet it and open up the airbox or was it running bone stock? I might have been tempted to rejet somewhere along the way when you got above 4 or 5,000 feet and you knew you were going to be up there for awhile. Did you ever consider doing that?

I hope this note gets to you. I am curious to hear your thoughts on the two bikes as I am currently trying to decide which of the two I want to buy.

Vic

hey Vic!

I think the true answer to your question is: either bike will do the job, but your final choice will depend on budget, mechanical know-how, availability ( if looking to buy used), and probably a few other factors. Now, my opinion is the Wr250r is hands down the winner if the two. The fuel injection alone was enough for me to sell my klx I had before the trip and switch to the WR (which I'm currently still riding).

For our trip we left both bikes bone stock. No airbox mods, no jetting mods on the KLX, and no exhaust mods. It was especially tough for the klx above 10,000 feet, but I'm afraid of messing with carburetors, so we left it alone. The WR certainly loses performance at high altitude, but still runs really well.

Other quick points to consider... The WR is taller by a couple of inches. The klx250s can typically be had for less than the wr250r (sometime for $1,000 less used). Both bikes are extremely reliable.

Hope this helps some... Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote