Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #496
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,739
I feel the same way about the 2 Kawi screens, maybe I'll add a lip to my touring screen at some point. The stocker is really useless, it is basically a naked bike in ride comfort/air management. Shame about the ZG quality issues, in that regard the OEMs really are superior.

Thanks for the pics!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #497
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Teaser pics, work is crazy right now but I'm going to try to get it bolted up and tested and some more pics tonight. It is of course a Terry Addcox custom job.

doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #498
Navin
Unwounding

I was wondering if this thread would ever resurface!

Good looking seat DP! My Renazco is working great. I was spinning down a twisty road at 10k RPM yesterday and remembered I wasn't uncomfortable!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #499
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I was spinning down a twisty road at 10k RPM yesterday and remembered I wasn't uncomfortable!
You were doing better than me, I was riding for the last 3 hours thinking I'm really uncomfortable. It's got to go back. I have faith the Terry meister will whip it into shape though. It's still to steep and it forces you down into the dip and the front of the dip is arched and falls off steeply on both sides so my entire body weight was resting on the high spot of the seat on the part of my body known scientifically as my taint. I'm going to be sore in the morning.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #500
Navin
Unwounding

Yeah, mine doesn't look anything like that. You have kinda a cross between a Corbin and a 1970s ten speed Italian bicycle seat there!

Yesterday's ride reaffirmed my original impressions of this engine, like a 300cc inline 4. The Area P tune box lets it eat right to the limiter. I was just between 10k and 13k rolling in and out of turns and up & down hills for a few miles. Bike felt great.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #501
Navin
Unwounding

Area P has finished the air box delete/ K&N "pod tune". I've been running the pods with a "heavily modded air box" tune and it has been very good. Waiting for them to email me the new tune and give it a go. They hit 40 RWHP and an awesome curve on the dyno. I'll see if I can link a copy here.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #502
Navin
Unwounding

Testing on the Airbox delete/POD filter additional mod has been completed at the Fuel Moto facility. As expected () we have attained the original goal of reaching 40+ HP with the Area P system and FI Micro Programmer. The new mapping that Fuel Moto created is outstanding with this mod. They are absolutely, bare-none, the best in the industry. Available exclusively for Area P/Fuel Moto FI Micro Programmer customers. Special thank you to "Tigerpaw" for loaning us his bike for this R&D phase. You're getting back a very strong runner and we hope you enjoy the full VIP/NC package in return. Enjoy.

"Tigerpaws" baby

Baseline run all stock.

Area P Standard Mount System/Long Quiet Core Muffler

Area P Ultra High Mount System/Standard Muffler

All runs combined
Old 07-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #503
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,640
I got a chance to test ride one of these yesterday. Here's my review.

Background;

I'd consider myself an 'intermediate' rider. I currently own a 2001 Connie, which I dearly love. However, it's a big piggish to sling around in the City of Baltimore. I'm in the market for something light, flickable, and affordable that will do city duty as well as carving up twisties in the Appalachians, and perhaps do some track-time with, and the new 300 is on the list.I've done a lot of research on this bike - I've read the reviews, examined the specs, watched the videos, and sat on one briefly at a dealership. However, this was my first experience with one live, motor running, with me aboard it.I had a lot of expectations of this bike - reading about the enthusiasm of Navin and others, I hoped to like it. Learning about some of the cheap build quality and the modifications that some recommend, I was prepared to also hate it

So yesterday I showed up at the Carlisle (PA) BikeFest at 8:30 am. One of my goals being to ride the new 300. I got to the Kawi demo truck near the front of the line and scored a 9:15am time slot on a group ride. Kawi ride marshals led & ended the course, with a 5 minute safety briefing preceding a 30 minute demo ride. The ride was conducted en masse, with a number of riders having their first experiences aboard a number of unfamiliar bikes. Not the most inspirational of circumstances, but carving sweeps in PA hills...there's worse test beds. So at 9:20, off we went.

Riding the 300 is like having sex with a diminutive supermodel who's perhaps had a little of the old powder-on-the-blade to wake her up. It's thin and bony, fast and a bit noisy. There are unexpected bumps where you expect the smooth curves of a well-rounded woman. However, throwing a leg over and having some fun is a for-sure grin-bringer. She'll wake up saucy and get fast quick. She can hold her own in conversations with bigger, nastier broads who vie for your attention.

Pros
The engine has a surprising amount of power, at least in a stock config. Very early in the group ride, the group was split by a stoplight with a short cycle. So the marshal in the rear of our now-smaller group rips to the front - once the light turned green, he scraped hard-bags with his big-bore Kawi cruiser in an attempt to catch up with the front group of riders. Although he denied his hooliganism later, this did allow me to live-fire the 300 in a combat setting. I was initially hesitant to truly plant the 300 in a corner, but lacking another choice, I gained (what was for me) a significant lean angle. The 300 never failed to feel like it was on rails. It never failed to keep pace with the spark-throwing cruiser, and while I didn't have a chance to test the ABS, I had plenty of stopping power.

The bike revved smoothly all the way through into 10k rpms, and likes to shift. The slipper clutch made shifting desireable and easy. The engine never felt anemic and never seemed to mind being wound out a little.

The fit was quite nice - like super-model sex (not that I would really know), you fit on it surprisingly well despite the diminutive size and narrowness of the bike. I'm 6'2", depending on what convenience store I'm leaving, and around 200lbs depending on the current market value of a cheeseburger. I had decent wind-blast to my chest, beginning about my solar-plexus. I sat fairly upright, but lacked the racer's crouch that the vaunted GSXR-600 enforces.

Good engine, good brakes, body seemed to fit, it looks nice, doesn't seem cheaply put together. Lotsa power when you need it, at least at the speeds I had it at. We maxed out about 70mph. The risk-taking that Kawi demo marshals are willing to undertake only goes so far.

Cons

The stock seat is truly like the bony hindquarters of a supermodel. Stiff, uncomfortable, no fun to slide around on. I only rode her 30 minutes and felt like my bottom had been boarded with oak. I wouldn't pick it up from the dealership without arriving with a booty-saving device.

The mirrors are truly horrific, and a possible safety hazard. Despite numerous adjustments, I couldn't spot the yahoo on the unfamiliar-to-him cruiser behind me. And I really wanted to know where he is. They are worse than useless.

The riding position wasn't all underpants and supermodels. It was decent, but my legs were wound too tight to truly have a good time. I'd want to lower the pegs. And not that I would ever really need it, but crouching my chest over the tank at all made me all knees-to-elbows and was completely unsustainable.

The suspension is horrific. If you gave that coked-up midget supermodel a pogo stick, and then sat on her shoulders while she bounced around on an ill-maintained cobblestone street, you would get the similar ride unpredictability of the 300's suspension system.

The 300 likes to shift a lot, it wants you to shift a lot, and you do need to shift a lot. It didn't mind being wound out, but I was also never going to see this bike again.

Final word

Is it a good bike? Certainly. Like other owners of the 300 point out, a vehicle purchased for pleasure is only pleasurable when ridden to its limits, and this bike can take you to your limits easily. Will you keep up off-the-line? Certainly. Are you going to break any speed records with it? Certainly not. Do you need to modify it to make it truly pleasurable? Certainly. Is it worth the asking price? I think so.

It's still on my short list. I'm hoping that my proposal to the Chisenhall Department of Finance approves my requisition of $3k for a used SV650 as my first choice, but barring that perhaps a nice 300 will be my second new vehicle ever.

PS - it sure is better than the Hyosung 250 I rode once. Riding that thing was like sodomzing a midget who'd been stuffed with a gut full of galvanized washers. If you would like a mimicry of riding a Hyo 250, put a bunch of loose bolts in a glass jar and duct-tape that assembly to the bottom of a skateboard. Sit on the skateboard & have a friend push you around a crappy parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #504
Navin
Unwounding

I'm almost speechless. But, I couldn't look away!!!

The 15t front sprocket changes the "shift all the time" character quite a bit. Everything could stand a bit of an upgrade, thus my many such attempts. I don't think you can touch a piece of it that couldn't be better, the nice thing is you can't really make it any worse!

Seriously, I wanted a more serious bike and knew what I was getting into. The engine is a gem. I'd seriously like it transplanted into a Adv 950 style bike, 8" of decent suspension and better ergos.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #505
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd seriously like it transplanted into a Adv 950 style bike, 8" of decent suspension and better ergos.
As I'm sure you've seen there have been a couple guys out there who've swapped Ninja 650's into KLR's....wonder what it would take to get one of the 300's in a KLX? That with a larger tank and a screen...
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #506
ctbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I'll be waiting until newbs start dropping these and i start seeing these at half price and then I'll pick one up for a cheap track/street toy.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #507
Navin
Unwounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
As I'm sure you've seen there have been a couple guys out there who've swapped Ninja 650's into KLR's....wonder what it would take to get one of the 300's in a KLX? That with a larger tank and a screen...
I was toying with the idea of stripping this down a little and transplanting some better/longer legs. I'm not crazy about the ergos for a bike that would see dirt though. Maybe as a naked street sumoto it would be OK, like the KTM SMR I had previously. Kawi dropped the ball by not building 3-4 versions on this engine/platform like the 650 and Hondas 500s.

A Verseys 300 would have been an easy choice, or a real Dakar style with some dirt-ability.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #508
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I was toying with the idea of stripping this down a little and transplanting some better/longer legs. I'm not crazy about the ergos for a bike that would see dirt though. Maybe as a naked street sumoto it would be OK, like the KTM SMR I had previously. Kawi dropped the ball by not building 3-4 versions on this engine/platform like the 650 and Hondas 500s.

A Verseys 300 would have been an easy choice, or a real Dakar style with some dirt-ability.
Yeah I agree. I sort of think they might come out with a Versys 300, or maybe that's just a hope. Seems like a couple suspension redo's and some different bodywork and it's already done. Possibly the average consumer will still think the 300 isn't quite enough and some focus group Kawi did nixed the idea already.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #509
Navin
Unwounding

As a former KLR 650 owner, I can confidently state that this engine could replace the 650 single and nobody would miss it. Wider gear box, 6 gears, smoother running and you can cruise it at 75-80 MPH all day long. If it was geared to the final drive the 300 had stock, it would even be trail ready.

No brainer, I bet it is smaller and even lighter too.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #510
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Having spent 13,000 miles in the last year on a KLR, most of it on 2 trips, one from NC to Yellowstone and one from NC to San Fran and then stepping to the 300 I can say without a doubt....oh hell yes.

doogiepooch screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 03:28 PM