ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,340
^^ Let's go!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #17
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
^^ Packed and ready to get going again
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,632
In the past I have downloaded and installed OSM maps to my mapsource program Version 6.15.6 and had it work great.

For some reason unknown to me the maps have failed to show up in mapsource, they are still in my maps drop down list on the top left of mapsource but there are no images when I click on it. Only see blank tiles as I zoom in or all the way out.

Any ideas as to what is going on without seeing any images. I've reselected tiles from OSM site and got them downloaded but they still fail to have images when I try to select maps. Driving me crazy, any body got any fresh links for Ecuador maps??

John in Ecuador using paper maps.

I didn't see the download button for the links for Ecuador maps listed earlier in this thread.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #19
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,811
Wish I'd found this thread before my recent Guat trip where half the time I only had a blank screen with a blue squiggle.

Thanks for sharing all the info. Will be better prepared next time.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,632
I went with the ease of just buying the map from GPStravelmaps and have been impressed so far with Ecuador map. Will be doing some more off the beaten track testing over the next few days.

John in Quito for the moment...
Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,811
Save them tracks, John!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
dummy?

Ok how do I get these maps into my Garmin Nuvo 660?
I very challenged when it comes to computors and sh.t like that.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
dakrause
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
Ok how do I get these maps into my Garmin Nuvo 660?
I very challenged when it comes to computors and sh.t like that.
See: http://www.cenrut.org/adw/over.htm

And: http://www.perut.org/english.htm
dakrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
jonas_mx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hello guys, Im about a month away from leaving on a six month trip through central and south america. I just got a Lowrance Endura Safari and Im looking into gettting some maps and trails for it.

I used to have a garmin Nuvi and that was quite easy to use as I always sticked to factory maps, but now with the Safari I know I will have to go deeped to find the good stuff.

I see some of you have posted links to sites that offer maps of south america and my questions is, will these work with my gps? and what other files will work with my safari other than GPX?

I will appreciate any help as Im quite new to this, thanks!
jonas_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
dakrause
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Just FYI-the map links on the preceding messages have been updated. They currently include Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Belize, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Brazil. Enjoy!
dakrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrause View Post
Just FYI-the map links on the preceding messages have been updated. They currently include Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Belize, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Brazil. Enjoy!

Good job

Any idea on how they compare to the Bicimap ? I know the Bicimaps are not free.

http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #27
GPSTravelMaps.com
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
We used to resell Bicimapas maps for Mexico but they have gone a different direction with their product and don't offer it directly as far as I can tell.

On a positive note, we update our maps regularly, provide free support and updates to users and will assist you in any other way necessary for you to get the best maps for your trip. We are here to help.

GPSTravelMaps.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee View Post
Good job

Any idea on how they compare to the Bicimap ? I know the Bicimaps are not free.

http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm
Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #28
Solohobo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
If you ever need a map of a country in CA, just hit a rental car agency, they are free, and they cover all surfaced and major routes, small and large towns.
Adventure Travel to Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, China, Honk Kong, Macau, France, Italy, EU, Morocco, Turkey, USA National Parks, camping, fishing, hiking, surfing, scuba diving, trekking, river rafting, new cultures, new cuisine, new languages.
Solohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #29
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 747
How good is Garmin OpenSource map? I am debating whether to buy Garmin North America & South America map then divide each continent into SD card (I am using Montana). Tucker said they had zero problem with Garmin's South America map but will I run into issue if I want to ride off-road in few countries??

The reason I am making it difficult on myself is because I want to leave my Macbook home and use iPad (mini iPad preferred) as my main computer and playing with Garmin's Montana will be very difficult since there is no way to communicate with the GPS using iPad. I'd have to really plan my trip before I leave home so I can store them in Garmin's Cloud and use Basecamp Mobile to transfer tracks into SD card using Airstash before inserting the SD card into Montana.

Yes, sure I could bring laptop.. but mini iPad sounds better because small is better when it comes to packing..

So how good is Garmin's open source map?? I tried to download whole North America map and it said the file is way too large to download.. so I wonder if I was supposed to divide North America into 4 sections for downloading and add these section into SD card for Montana to read??
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #30
BustinJustin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
At least in Ecuador the best map I've found is Open Streetmap. It's free, and you can easily download the region you want here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I imagine that the OSM maps are better than the proprietary maps for many countries in the region so if I were traveling around I'd put the area I'm traveling through on a card. If you are so inspired and find problems with the map, you can fix them and benefit the next rider who uses them but you don't have to do so.

Countries like Brazil may have better proprietary maps, but I've also heard good things about OSM maps there. Sometimes you get more than what you pay for. :)
BustinJustin is offline   Reply With Quote