ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #24496
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Wow I just drove back from Philly today in a car. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be on a bike today.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #24497
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Richmond Va chatter

Were you guys parked at the gas station in Franklin? I pulled over to put on rain gear just before North Mountain and had a couple on a Harley from Michigan follow me out all the way to Brandywine. They took the left and I went straight to Sugar Grove which ended up being a huge mistake. Washout conditions by the time I passed the navy base there and didn't let up till I parked the bike in Cville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mattgoff screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 06:50 PM
mattgoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #24498
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,496
Short video of the huckster at the Wall of Death, Vintage Days, Mid-Ohio:

Pictures of the event. I was only there for Friday and early Saturday. Mostly stuff for sale at the swapmeet. Planning on going back for 3 days next year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2424880...7634733131637/

Mandatory BM content:

Old 07-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #24499
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by chxbchsailor View Post
We're you guys parked at the gas station in Franklin? I pulled over to put on rain gear just before North Mountain and had a couple on a Harley from Michigan follow me out all the way to Brandywine. They took the left and I went straight to Sugar Grove which ended up being a huge mistake. Washout conditions by the time I passed the navy base there and didn't let up till I parked the bike in Cville.

Yep that was us around 1 or so I think. it took 45 min to get 8 sammiches.. and while we were waiting that storm caught us there.

afterwards (after the rain / flat tire) the ride was beautiful nearly to Richmond. About 10mi w of 288 is where I caught back up to the storm. By the time I got to Chester Rd on 288 all hell was breaking loose. Thunder/lightning and raining like crazy. in about 6:30 shower and straight back out to my folks house for dinner.

Anyway that was a great time. Cool that we were all able to get together, I hope we can do that again sometime. Maybe leave out a few things next time..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #24500
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by chxbchsailor View Post
We're you guys parked at the gas station in Franklin? I pulled over to put on rain gear just before North Mountain and had a couple on a Harley from Michigan follow me out all the way to Brandywine. They took the left and I went straight to Sugar Grove which ended up being a huge mistake. Washout conditions by the time I passed the navy base there and didn't let up till I parked the bike in Cville.

Yup. That was us. Green Fly Farmer left about as soon as we got to Franklin trying to stay ahead of the approaching storm. Skychs and Eddy Alvarez shot East during the middle of the storm. Halfplate, Dr Whipit, Default Gateway, ddlewis, John (aka ???) and I waited until it let up some and then we headed South to pick up 250. A few miles out of Franklin Default Gatreway's rear tube patch from yesterday failed. With the mix of rain, knobbies and twisty roads I was relieved when I returned to see him on the side of the road digging out his tools with John's assistance. Halfplate walked up to a nearby house and gained permission to use their carport. By the time we swapped the tube the weather had pretty much passed. We eventually caught up to it again around the Shannon Hill exit. I didn't want to bother with rain gear again so I went South to avoid catching up to the heavy rain. I pulled up to the house and my wife and son pulled in right behind me. Good timing and we were all happy to be home together again. She sstarted getting lippy when I was trying to pull all my wet gear out right away. I told her she was "sassy" and she shook her tail at me. Holy sh*t, Karl. You are a freaking genius! Please share any more of knowledge gained during your 31 years of marriage. I am listening.

Great weekend and a very impressive group of folks. I have never been with a group I both admired and enjoyed as much as you guys. Thanks for a great time and I appreciate your patience with my lack of packing ability.
You should be able to look at all of the photos and download as well from this link: (It appears you need to click on the thumbnail photo for the link)

https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/tra...background.gif) no-repeat left">
Larel Fork July 19-21 2013

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 07:15 PM
Dirtmonkey8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #24501
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,047
WV Trip

GRRRRRRR! After making a nice long ride report of this weekends events, I hit submit reply and it lost everything as I had been timed out!! Oh well, here is the Reader's Digest version...

Many thanks to everyone, especially Andrew, for a wonderful weekend of great riding, camping and meeting new friends. What made it extra fun for me was that in 28 years of riding, I had NEVER been to ANY of the places we went to in WV.

Camp night one...After being spoiled by a big, comfy, RV that is nicer than my first apartment, I actually enjoyed motorcycle camping a little.

Friday night near West Augusta

Mi casita

Day two.
Spruce Knob, foggy and 62 degrees! No view, good excuse to go back!

Despite the fog, it was still beautiful

Lunch stop at a cool place called the Alpine Springs Lodge. Lots of guns, bayonets, hunting traps, pictures of hunters with game, etc...

Giant bear trap, looks horribly painful!

One of a few bears rugs, this one was on the ceiling

Big bear statue in the corner

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Karl (Greenflyfarmer) and I getting carried away for an action shot for my kids!

After lunch we took WV rt. 72 that runs from Hambleton WV to 32 just past Red Creek WV (VERY highly recommended) on our way to Dolly Sods

Dolly Sods, very neat place. This is what I imagine the Canadian tundra or parts of Alaska look like minus the moose, 1200 pound brown bear and JDRocks and his homemade ADV bike.

On our way back to Laurel Fork, we stopped to admire a beautiful vista. Me and das fraulein on the right and Dirt Monkey and his Tiger on the left.

Mi casita night number two at LF.

Sorry for the lack of riding shots but I left my GoPro at home...Except for one flat rear tire in the group and a "minor tumble" on gravel, we all had a great time.

On the way home, Chuck and I drove through what felt like Niagara Falls while going over Afton mountain! Sweet Jesus that has to have been some of the heaviest rain I have ever ridden in, never mind the scary sudden cross winds! Everyone was either going 30 mph with their flashers on or pulling over! Fortunately, a bit east of C'ville, the sky turned blue, and we had smooth sailing home! I detailed the bike, took a hot shower, had a nice steak dinner and took the family out for ice cream!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 06:23 AM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #24502
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
I can't add much in terms of ride reports (I fully endorse all of the above) and a big thanks to Halfplate. Love the pics Eddy and Dirtmonkey.
When we caught up with the rain, Ptownjohnny had stopped to put on his rain gear, but Defaultgateway and I kept motoring. Things reached hellish proportions near Short Pump and I was thoroughly drenched by the time my sympathetic wife held the door for me.
I may have some video soon but need some advice as far as software to prune down what I got. Any recommendations?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #24503
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
..John (aka ???) ...
'ol ptownJohnny.. he had two hours more to ride after us. hope he got back in front of that storm.

nice pics!
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #24504
ptownjohnny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
wv ride

thanks again to Andrew for putting together this ride , I it was a great group , enjoyed meeting & riding with everyone . the weather got a lot worse in york town & a wreck on 64 I am little soggy . sounds every body made home safe . eddy I will try to get you that ptcture .
ptownjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #24505
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
Richmond Va chatter

Messed post up...try again in the am ...don't ask
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #24506
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Update from the TAT.

Ruh-Roh, as Scooby Doo would say.

Snapped the rear subframe on Joe's XR in Nevada. MacGyver'd it together and rode it 38 miles to the closest town (Denio Junction, NV). Had it temp welded to get back on the rode. But it snapped again today in central Oregon. Trying to get to a Fab shop in Eugene tomorrow to see if it can be saved. Less than a couple hundred miles to go too! Dang.

Oh, and I'm glad everyone had a great time in my backyard of Pendleton County. I'm crying for not being there to show you guys some of the secret roads and water crossings. I will catch you all and host something at our place when we get back.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #24507
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,920
Woah! Glad you were able to fix it for now. Awesome adventure and thanks for taking the time to update us back home. Surprisingly, Denio Junction rings a bell...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504811

HalfPlate, you inspired me to do something I'd been meaning to get around to before it was too late.

Couldn't have done this without tools and PM from SplitlaneslikeMoses
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #24508
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Looks like a fun ride/camp wish I could've done that too. I will be riding that area tues or weds when I get back I'm joanesing after seeing those pics.
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #24509
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Woah! Glad you were able to fix it for now. Awesome adventure and thanks for taking the time to update us back home. Surprisingly, Denio Junction rings a bell...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504811

HalfPlate, you inspired me to do something I'd been meaning to get around to before it was too late.

Couldn't have done this without tools and PM from SplitlaneslikeMoses
Are you going to share insights, tools, and procedure?
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #24510
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
We love T-Bone Tooter. They have a great grilled cheese/chili combo that is good. Great price as well.

Question ........
About half way into my trip out west my GS started running really well. The gas mileage went up (almost 200 miles a tank) and it seemed to have more power, noticeable power. Could it have been the altitude or I finally burned all the diesel I accidentally put in the week before?
altitude.

I got over 62 mpg when I was up in the hills in CO
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map

freaking RT screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 06:51 AM
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote